Songs You Hate

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Shakespeare's Sister » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:20 am

I'm with mostly everyone when it comes to Golden Lights.

I don't really find myself skipping a Smith song but when I do I find that it's "Never Had No One Ever" when I do. But I do actually like the song.
<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Well I'm not listening no more<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
Shakespeare's Sister
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mozzerella » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:26 pm

elko wrote:<!--quoteo(post=23105:date=Apr 7 2006, 02:19 PM:name=Mozzerella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mozzerella @ Apr 7 2006, 02:19 PM) [snapback]23105[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
<!--quoteo(post=23091:date=Apr 7 2006, 03:43 PM:name=_Stranger_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_Stranger_ @ Apr 7 2006, 03:43 PM) [snapback]23091[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Golden Lights.. It just doesn't seem like a Smiths song at all!

I hate it too! It's a cover of a 60's pop star Twinkle's song, that's why it doesn't seem like a Smiths tune. Haven't heard the original, though.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'll stick the original on Gmail, if it's not there already. It is, of course, far better than the Smiths version.

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing it. :)
<a href='http://www.last.fm/user/Mozaic/?chartstyle=MeatisMurder' target='_blank'>Image</a>
Mozzerella
Smiths Nut!

Postby Rodchenko » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:19 pm

Golden Lights, but it's okay to hate that song since it is a cover! That one is also the only song that is really not good in any way.
Others are just boring:
Death At One's Elbow
London
and last but not least: Suffer Little Children...
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

Postby Bref » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:33 pm

I love suffer little children!
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Book Antiqua--><span style="font-family:Book Antiqua"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial Narrow--><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->Half of the time we're gone but we don't know where,
we don't know where.
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Bref
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:34 pm

_Stranger_ wrote:<!--quoteo(post=23125:date=Apr 7 2006, 06:05 PM:name=rubygirl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rubygirl @ Apr 7 2006, 06:05 PM) [snapback]23125[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

I like Ask actually, I find it fun and uplifting. And it's my mother's favourite Smiths' song. :P

*Gives you a cookie*

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--> I ADORE ASK<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

*Gives you a cookie as well*
Hm....I don't like Ask that much....but I really am hungry....
elko
Site Admin

Postby Rodchenko » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:35 pm

Bref: A lotta people do, and I feel like a twat for thinking it's boring... but hey, That's life.
I read an older comment on this thread by someone who claimed he/she didn't like How Soon is Now and The Queen is Dead. That is horrific!
Last edited by Rodchenko on Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

Postby Friday-Mourning » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:36 pm

I'm a little dirty two see my two favourite Smiths songs, "Half a Person" and "Frankly, Mr Shankly" mentioned in a songs you hate thread.

The only song I genuinely dislike is "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me". It's painfully slow and monotone with the most frustrating intro. It ruins the whole "Strangeways" album for me and is the only Smiths song I have skipped....ever!
Friday-Mourning

Postby elko » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:24 pm

Friday.Mourning wrote:I'm a little dirty two see my two favourite Smiths songs, "Half a Person" and "Frankly, Mr Shankly" mentioned in a songs you hate thread.

The only song I genuinely dislike is "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me". It's painfully slow and monotone with the most frustrating intro. It ruins the whole "Strangeways" album for me and is the only Smiths song I have skipped....ever!

:o

Must say, that's one of my very-most favourites. Once it does get going, it's just beautiful!
elko
Site Admin

Postby HandsomeDevil » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:27 pm

Death At Ones Elbow - surely this is THE worst. Flat lyrics, boring tune.
HandsomeDevil
Supreme

Postby TheLuckIveHad » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:22 pm

Friday.Mourning wrote:I'm a little dirty two see my two favourite Smiths songs, "Half a Person" and "Frankly, Mr Shankly" mentioned in a songs you hate thread.

'last night...' in my opinion is the best song on the album
I'll Never Make That Mistake Again.
TheLuckIveHad
Supreme

Postby Xuu » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:23 pm

the intro is too hollow for me.
Xuu
Supreme

Postby Lazy Dyke » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:19 pm

I don't like last night.. the intro is too long and I don't know.. it's my least favourite track on Strangeways, and yes I find myself skipping it quite often.
Lazy Dyke
Smiths Nut!

Postby Sweet and Tender Hooligan » Sat May 06, 2006 9:29 pm

actually i remember now a song that i keep forgetting is the this charming man version on hatful of hollow is shite and nothing on the original version.
I'm spellbound, but a woman divides
And the hills are alive with celibate cries
Sweet and Tender Hooligan
Supreme

Postby atomium » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:32 pm

As many of you have already said: Hate is not the right word to use. The once I usually skip, or don’t listen to that often is:

- Golden Lights
- Miserable Lie

There are some other that I really like, but I only listen to some times, mainly because of their length:

- Meat is Murder
- How Soon is Now.
- Barbarism Begins At Home
atomium
Supreme

Postby Lazy Dyke » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:21 am

Only songs I don't listen to that often, or sometimes skip are:

Golden Lights
Asleep(It's a beautiful song, but it makes me feel sad - so sometimes I avoid it)
Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
Lazy Dyke
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to The Smiths