[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - Songs You Hate

Songs You Hate

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Girl Afraid » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:54 pm

I hate Golden Lights with a passion. How the hell they ever came up with that one I will never know, and don't wanna know! Not too keen on Rubber Ring either.....
Girl Afraid

Postby elko » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:00 pm

Really? Rubber Ring seems to be pretty popular...

But yeah, Golden Lights, errgh. BTW, if anyone wants the Twinkle version of Golden Lights I'll put it on the GMail account. If I haven't already.
elko
Site Admin

Postby rubygirl » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:29 am

I really cannot like Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now - not in the slightest.

Golden Lights...well, I don't mind it in general, but it certainly ain't special and I am way too accustomed the The Smiths to be special...
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Domestique » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:39 am

A couple of the obvious ones for me, I'm afraid-Ask and Golden Lights. Which makes that the only Smiths single ever with no redeeming qualities. Death At One's Elbow is pretty underwhelming too. Apart from those, there's nothing I'd use a word as strong as hate to describe.

I used to love Heaven Knows... but over the years it's become quite irritating to me. But god, I do love those guitars...
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Sucrose/?chartstyle=basicrt10" target="_blank"> Image </a>
Domestique
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:30 pm

LONDON and HAND IN GLOVE, sorry but I don`t like those.
I do like "Death at One`s Elbow", "Heaven Knows I`m Misserable Now", "Ask" and I like Seinfled, but I hate the theme tune, but come on, the bass arrangement on "Barbarism Begins At Home" is really, really good!
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Domestique » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:39 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-MISSERABLE+Jul 18 2005, 10:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MISSERABLE @ Jul 18 2005, 10:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> LONDON and HAND IN GLOVE, sorry but I don`t like those.
I do like "Death at One`s Elbow", "Heaven Knows I`m Misserable Now", "Ask" and I like Seinfled, but I hate the theme tune, but come on, the bass arrangement on "Barbarism Begins At Home" is really, really good! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
I totally agree... Well, on the last two points anyway; I'll leave the rest pass <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Sucrose/?chartstyle=basicrt10" target="_blank"> Image </a>
Domestique
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:43 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-MISSERABLE+Jul 18 2005, 10:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MISSERABLE @ Jul 18 2005, 10:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> LONDON and HAND IN GLOVE, sorry but I don`t like those.
I do like "Death at One`s Elbow", "Heaven Knows I`m Misserable Now", "Ask" and I like Seinfled, but I hate the theme tune, but come on, the bass arrangement on "Barbarism Begins At Home" is really, really good! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
How can you dislike Hand In Glove?! It's a classic!

I agree that the Seinfeld theme tune is entirely naff, but I guess that's why I secretly love it.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Truman Capote » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:14 pm

I never thought that I must like a song for being a classic, I just do not like it, I think that there`s something wrong with the production, the mix or the recording take of the song. Well, that`s just my own opinion.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:30 pm

Oh, I'm not having a go or anything, it's all opinion, of course.

I guess I just love it because it shows the Smiths at their most naive, and at the stage when it's clear that every word and every note was desperate to impress, and at the same time effortlessly cool.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Domestique » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:17 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Jul 18 2005, 11:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Jul 18 2005, 11:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Oh, I'm not having a go or anything, it's all opinion, of course.

I guess I just love it because it shows the Smiths at their most naive, and at the stage when it's clear that every word and every note was desperate to impress, and at the same time effortlessly cool.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I agree with every word of that, but could I just add that as a statement of intent, to open your first single with the words "Hand in glove, the sun shines out of our behinds" just can't be beat. It displays a wonderful arrogance and sheer belief in their own power and ability that was to serve them well.

Oh, and was totally well-founded! <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
Domestique
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:02 am

What's The World
That's some really pointless effort. I hadn't heard it until recently - now I know I hadn't missed anything.
Last edited by rubygirl on Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Santiago Jim » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:14 am

I really don't like 'Death at One's Elbow', I'm sure many other Smiths fans agree. It's probably Marr's worst ever composition but what seems worse is Morrissey's lyrics in this song, they're flat, unfunny and just not worth listening to compared to all his other absolutely brillaint lyrics. Also its quite sad because of the lack of quality in the song seems to sum up that particular time i.e the personal problems between Morrissey and Marr.
Santiago Jim

Postby rubygirl » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:27 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Santiago Jim+Aug 2 2005, 11:14 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Santiago Jim @ Aug 2 2005, 11:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I really don't like 'Death at One's Elbow', I'm sure many other Smiths fans agree. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Oh, you are very right on that, Jim! I think it's the most mentioned song in this thread. <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->
I am not too fond of it myself, but still not to the extent to skip it while listening to Strangeways.
Last edited by rubygirl on Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:36 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rubygirl+Aug 2 2005, 12:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rubygirl @ Aug 2 2005, 12:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> What's The World
That's some really pointless effort. I hadn't heard it until recently - now I hadn't missed anything. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Seconded. I haven't heard the original though, so maybe it's just The Smiths version that's crap (unlikely!).
elko
Site Admin

Postby Mozzerella » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:37 pm

Golden Lights. It's totally annoying.
<a href='http://www.last.fm/user/Mozaic/?chartstyle=MeatisMurder' target='_blank'>Image</a>
Mozzerella
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to The Smiths