Top Ten Smiths joints?

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby tallulahtaurus » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:40 pm

I'm sure this has been done before but reiteration is sometimes fun cos I was just intrigued because I think that our choices may be illuminating and unusual and unique like we all are and interesting especially since I was intrigued to know how accurate the Q poll is of fan's faves so mine are as follows.

<span style='color:blue'>1)That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore </span>gives me the shivers just as
<span style='color:blue'>2)Headmaster Ritual </span>does also
<span style='color:blue'>3)Back to the old house </span>- obviously the hatful of Hollow version - oh if I could only see Morrissey and Marr play that live - simplicity itself which characterises much of why the smiths was beautiful!!
<span style='color:blue'>4)William it was Really nothing </span>
<span style='color:blue'>5) Accept Yourself</span> wonderful drum rolls infectiousand instant smile bringer
<span style='color:blue'>6)The Queen is Dead </span>
<span style='color:blue'>7)Barbarism begins at home</span> funkytastic
<span style='color:blue'>8)Some Girls are bigger than others </span>
<span style='color:blue'>9)Asleep </span>
<span style='color:blue'>10)Suffer little children</span>

Of course this charming man and london were just needled out in favour of this selection I think I may have to make a playlist on my iPod of these tracks in a mo!!
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby Sweet and Tender Hooligan » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:59 pm

OHHH i love these threads is this like if you went to a gig this would be the 10 songs you would want AND in the exact order yeah cause thats what i'll do.

1. Rushholme Ruffians - fucky ish good song great opener ( maybe with latest flame melady?)
2. The Headmasters Ritual - strong track to follow
3. Miserable Lie - no doubt be even better live
4. I know its over - deep emotional ones nearer the middle is good
5. What difference does it make? - strong early track
6. That joke isn't funny anymore - has to be on really
7. The queen is dead - strong song to continue
8. this charming man - had to be there ( track that got me into the smiths)
9. These things take time - good bouncyer track
10. stop me if you think you've heard this one before - wonderful and proper track to close <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->

hope you all like <!--emo&:rolleyes:-->Image<!--endemo-->
I'm spellbound, but a woman divides
And the hills are alive with celibate cries
Sweet and Tender Hooligan
Supreme

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:34 am

1. Nowhere Fast (my favorite song)
2. Still Ill (my theme song)
3. Handsome Devil
4. What She Said
5. I Keep Mine Hidden
6. Stretch Out And Wait
7. Is It Really So Strange
8. Pretty Girls Make Graves
9. Rubber Ring
10. Asleep (I listen to this song every night)

So, I don't know if I would exactly do that order, because I might move Pretty Girls up a bit, but still, this is the perfect Smiths set in Caityland <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->

Oh, and do you have a link tot he Q poll online?
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:05 am

Oooh I like the fact that it's become an imaginary setlist nice idea sath. I'm so annoyed that the never did That Joke isn't funny anymore mimed or anything for me to own damn you Morrissey for not wanting to appear on Wogan anyways...

interesting choices btw sath not what I was expecting if we were talking gig then Rusholme/Marie's the name would be great cos the live version is so superb but not one of my favourites overall...

Pashernate very interesting that you chose Nowhere Fast as your fave I've never seen that been picked out before you're a rebel of sorts...

I don't have a link to the Q poll online cos I read it in the smiths special but given enough motivation and my copy to hand I will type it up here if you want... aah the joys of distracting myself from work!!

is all as illuminating as I thought <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:27 am

Would you please? That would be wonderful Tallulah! Nowhere Fast is my favorite because not only is it exciting, but having grown up in a 2000 person town, I feel as if I know what he is talking about with applainces (no store...no highschool even!) and how disorienting it all is...the longing to escape etc. and the frustration to the point where living or dying doesn't appeal, but uh, lovely song, makes me grin and laugh...gosh, how can someone be so beautifully real??? *swoon* okay, Smithsgasm, time to get back to writing my paper <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Sweet and Tender Hooligan » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:03 pm

oh Sweet and Tender Hooligan must be on mines so its now the 11th secret track ok <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
Supreme

Postby rubygirl » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:20 pm

Oh, really cool thread!
In fact I've been trying to define my top ten Smiths' choices a few times. This is the result:

(in no particular order)

<span style='color:purple'>How Soon Is Now - <span style='color:blue'>it was my favourite for a long time; now it's one of the faves</span>
Never Had No-one Ever - <span style='color:gray'>sad and beautiful! that's the way I like it</span>
Asleep - <span style='color:green'>the song that calms me down when I feel miserable</span>
What She Said
Stretch Out And Wait
Shoplifters Of The World Unite
Wonderful Woman
A Rush And A Push...
I Want The One I Can't Have
Rubber Ring</span>

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->oh Sweet and Tender Hooligan must be on mines so its now the 11th secret track ok  <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

mine also <!--emo&B)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:09 am

<!--QuoteBegin-rubygirl+Feb 25 2005, 05:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rubygirl @ Feb 25 2005, 05:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->

<span style='color:purple'>How Soon Is Now - <span style='color:blue'>it was my favourite for a long time; now it's one of the faves</span>
Never Had No-one Ever - <span style='color:gray'>sad and beautiful! that's the way I like it</span>
Asleep - <span style='color:green'>the song that calms me down when I feel miserable</span>
What She Said
Stretch Out And Wait
Shoplifters Of The World Unite
Wonderful Woman
A Rush And A Push...
I Want The One I Can't Have
Rubber Ring</span>

<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
okay, now i absolutely MUST get my list together, because this one really, really surprises me. i kinda thought that me and ruby would have more tracks in common. wow. very interesting.

*in corner, trying to wrap my puny chicken neurons around this discrepancy*
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:14 am

result of the developmentally delayed neurons grinding smiths data together:

no particular order here, mind you:

-headmaster ritual (the driving guitars, the scathing lyrics)
-frankly, mr shankly (i bee-bop to this...the lilting lyrics--just when it's right to do)
-vicar in a tutu (i love the 'stop your damnedable breathing' style of singing)
-panic (OMG, i have adored this song since it was released...i find myself singing REALLY loud along with this, which is probably illegal here in the land of GWBUSH, but oh well)
-shoplifters of the world unite (this guitar is awesome, the lyrics are cake...some crazed warm syrup...and there's no way humanly possible to sing it louder that i try to)
-reel around the fountain (i can only dream...........)
-a rush and a push and the land is ours (holy moses, holy graile, holy shit. that lyrical style, the transformation of the chorus, ...this song gives me a woodie.)
-i started something i couldn't finish (if only for the guitar intro, it is worth it...i've called this a "cock-walking" song before)
-that joke isn't funny anymore (personal reasons, sorry)
-<span style='color:blue'>death of a disco dancer</span> (first off, the introductory guitars--lead and bass--set SUCH A TONE. and moz comes in with falling pidgeon lyrics and good god i sing that shit loud, his moaning, his love peace and harmony....very nice..........i'd rather not get involved with how the percussion set my cardiac rhythm)

four weeks from now the list could be utterly different, this is just where i am right now--i really don't want to see her, do you really think she'll pull through?
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:18 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->chicken Posted on Feb 26 2005, 02:09 AM
okay, now i absolutely MUST get my list together, because this one really, really surprises me. i kinda thought that me and ruby would have more tracks in common. wow. very interesting.

*in corner, trying to wrap my puny chicken neurons around this discrepancy*<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Now your words realy bewilder me, Chicken! Why are you surprised at my list?
Besides, we do have songs in common - 2 from the list; needless to say this list is not definite, but in fact That Joke... and Death of a Disco Dancer are fastly bocoming more and more dear to my heart, they should be on my list too, ten is too small a number to encompass my Smiths' preferences.
And I've never heard Reel Around The Fountain.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Sweet and Tender Hooligan » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:56 pm

wow, you not have the first album then rubygirl? or hatful of hollow as well!!!
Supreme

Postby rubygirl » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:23 pm

No, I don't have them - neither The Smiths nor Hatful of Hollow, poor poor pitiful me!
I've only got some mp3s of the Troy Tate Sessions - of very poor quality.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Sweet and Tender Hooligan » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:50 pm

all i can say is unlucky
Supreme

Postby chicken » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:48 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rubygirl+Feb 26 2005, 08:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rubygirl @ Feb 26 2005, 08:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> No, I don't have them - neither The Smiths nor Hatful of Hollow, poor poor pitiful me!
I've only got some mp3s of the Troy Tate Sessions - of very poor quality. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
someone needs to hook this lady up with what she needs, to quell her fix.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:52 pm

Yeah, I was going to send a few MP3s, but forgot after a few. I'll send some more tomorrow if I remember.
elko
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Smiths