Top Ten Smiths joints?

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby rubygirl » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:16 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--><span style='color:green'>chicken Posted on Feb 26 2005, 09:47 PM </span>
someone needs to hook this lady up with what she needs, to quell her fix.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--emo&<_<-->Image<!--endemo-->
And why the sarcasm, Chicken?
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:14 am

Glad to see the reapperance of that joke isn't funny chicken vv good taste there - in many ways I think its my favourite although i notice it came further down for you! sometime later today I should feel motivated enough to actually copy down the results of the Q poll - oh if I wasn't so lazy these things would get done so much quicker!!

I'll be back...hopefully!
Last edited by tallulahtaurus on Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:09 pm

The Q list tis as follows and is absolutely rubbish I warn you...oh and I forgot it's of the smiths and morrissey!!!! which of course only makes it more laughable in a vital sense...!!

here it goes...

20) JEANE
19) WILLIAM IT WAS REALLY NOTHING
18) HAND IN GLOVE
17) CEMETRY GATES
16) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET ME GET WHAT WANT
15) BIGMOUTH STRIKES AGAIN
14) HEAVEN KNOWS I'M MISERBALE NOW
13) REEL AROUND THE FOUNTAIN
12) I KNOW IT'S OVER
11) GIRL AFRAID
10) SUEDHEAD
09) STOP ME IF YOU THINK YOU'VE HEARD THIS ONE BEFORE
08) THE QUEEN IS DEAD
07) WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?
06)EVERYDAY IS LIKE SUNDAY
05) NOW MY HEART IS FULL
04) LAST NIGHT I DREAMT THAT SOMEBODY LOVED ME
03) THIS CHARMING MAN
02) HOW SOON IS NOW?

01) <span style='color:purple'>THERE IS A LIGHT THAT NEVER GOES OUT</span>knowing how you guys in here seem to feel about How Soon is now I think the fact that allegedly it's their 2nd best song is even more funny I think our taste on here is much better than the mockery that was published above...!!

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:24 am

In no particular order, but I couldn't go with just 10:

1. Hand In Glove
2. Handsome Devil
3. Jeane
4. This Charming Man
5. What Difference Does It Make?
6. Still Ill
7. Well I Wonder
8. Barbarism Begins At Home
9. You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby
10. Rubber Ring
11. Nowhere Fast
12. Headmaster Ritual
13. These Things Take Time
14. Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before
15. I Know It's Over

I know I've left out other favorites, but these are always on my list.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:41 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-tallulahtaurus+Feb 28 2005, 06:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tallulahtaurus @ Feb 28 2005, 06:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The Q list tis as follows and is absolutely rubbish I warn you...oh and I forgot it's of the smiths and morrissey!!!! which of course only makes it more laughable in a vital sense...!!

here it goes...

20) JEANE
19) WILLIAM IT WAS REALLY NOTHING
18) HAND IN GLOVE
17) CEMETRY GATES
16) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET ME GET WHAT WANT
15) BIGMOUTH STRIKES AGAIN
14) HEAVEN KNOWS I'M MISERBALE NOW
13) REEL AROUND THE FOUNTAIN
12) I KNOW IT'S OVER
11) GIRL AFRAID
10) SUEDHEAD
09) STOP ME IF YOU THINK YOU'VE HEARD THIS ONE BEFORE
08) THE QUEEN IS DEAD
07) WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?
06)EVERYDAY IS LIKE SUNDAY
05) NOW MY HEART IS FULL
04) LAST NIGHT I DREAMT THAT SOMEBODY LOVED ME
03) THIS CHARMING MAN
02) HOW SOON IS NOW?

01) <span style='color:purple'>THERE IS A LIGHT THAT NEVER GOES OUT</span>knowing how you guys in here seem to feel about How Soon is now I think the fact that allegedly it's their 2nd best song is even more funny I think our taste on here is much better than the mockery that was published above...!!<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Way too predictable this one sounds...
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:20 pm

Uhh huh and way too wrong especially with the amount of people here who really don't like How Soon is now - I think that it was probably American fans because I haven't heard many people mention Please Please Please over here but Americans prob know that one better...cos it was in Pretty in Pink??? I dunno all you Americans help me out here??

What do you guys think?

tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:48 pm

I like How Soon Is Now a lot but still can't agree with that poll. I have the feeling that people who are not fans always go for HSIN and There's A Light - they are kinda the first songs that come to their minds when The Smiths are mentioned. Well, I am not dressing my thoughts in words very successfully, but I mean to say that non-fans more or less identify The Smiths with these songs, not realizing what hidden gems are there to be found. And the real hardcore fans of any group don't usually choose the most popular songs.
Oh, I am writing terribly <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo--> today. Hope I am making some sense.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:57 pm

Yeah I understand and I think thats very true and may explain it this travesty that I read whilst wincing!! I love How Soon is now too, but when it seems that so many people don't how representative can this be said to be..? not very

a survey of non fan fan's those who haven't heard all their music I think!! like Morrissey said that those who identify there is a light as their fave song don't tend to care about the band very much - I remember reading that somewhere... hopefully I wasn't just hallucinating because they are just selceting that which is most associated with their image rather than those lurking gems

that's such a good point ruby girl - hopefully I'm making sense here now!!

tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby Sweet and Tender Hooligan » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:36 pm

i think i worked out the main 4 songs connected with the smiths that people think of when i ask them about them:

- how soon is now?
- there is a light...
- panic
- heaven knows i'm miserable now
I'm spellbound, but a woman divides
And the hills are alive with celibate cries
Sweet and Tender Hooligan
Supreme

Postby rubygirl » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:43 am

Ok, I decided to revisit this thread - and see how my choices have altered in the range of a few months:

What Difference Does It Make - this quitar intro just grabs me by the throat - and the first verse, wow <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
Wonderful Woman - I cannot explain why I never get tired of this song...
GirlAfraid - one of my favourite melody lines - ever,
I Want The One I Can't Have - I find this one utterly exhilarating
Never Had No-one Ever - the music to it sounds so dramatic, I love this
Shoplifters of the World Unite - one of my faves from the first time I heard it
Rubber Ring - some of the most striking lyrics I've ever heard
You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby - funny and clever, what more could you ask for <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Asleep - adore the subtlety of it
A Rush And A Push and The Land Is Ours - the phrase 'simply irresistable' springs to my mind...
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby BigmouthSA » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:55 pm

If we were doing a setlist? Bloody good question...hmmm...

I could take some time compiling this list because I think its more than compiling your favourite songs but also about placement, following HSIN or I Know Its Over with This Charming Man for instance would seem an absurd leap down the music scale, if that makes sense.

1. How Soon is Now

2. Panic

3. Bigmouth Strikes Again

4. Still Ill

5. The Queen is Dead

6. This Night Has Opened My Eyes

7. Youve Got Everything Now

8. Barbarism Begins at Home

9. Back To The Old House

10. What Difference Does It Make?

11. I Know Its Over

12. That Joke Isnt Funny Anymore

13. Rubber Ring

14. Shoplifters of the World

15. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

Its actually harder than I first thought it would be <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo--> So that could be all over the place, but anyway, I think it offers a decent range of what The Smiths offer, which is, well everything! I tried not to be too rocky, or 'poppie' as it were, its hard to find a balance.

While I think Barbarism... is great I dont think its on the same scale as the others, but it works brilliantly as a precursor to Back To The Old House, which is truly brilliant, and also proceeding Youve Got Everything Now.

Interesting thread anyway!
Last edited by BigmouthSA on Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'I dont get along with myself, and Im not too keen on anyone else!'

:D
BigmouthSA
Regular

Postby Boywiththethorninhisside » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:03 pm

This Charming Man (Hatful of Hollow Version) - great, and very different version that sounds like they're playing in someone's living room.

Girl Afraid - wonderfully upbeat, with that beautiful jangly Rickenbacker sound and suggestive less-is-more lyric that does so much with only a few lines.

Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now - musically, some of the greatest guitar/bass interplay of any song, ever. Lyrically, hits the nail bang on the head.

Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me - Awesome in every way, especially the full version with the piano/crowd intro that makes you jump the first time you hear it.

Stretch Out And Wait - for the beautiful guitar playing

The Headmaster Ritual - maybe not much of a single, but it's a real grower. Proves that the Smiths could make superb non-filler album tracks that sound as good as an opening song as they would anywhere else in a tracklisting.

Pretty Girls Make Graves - For those lyrics, that bouncy tune (did I ever mention that Andy and Mike made a world-class rhythm section?) and lovely guitar outro.

Accept Yourself - I love the rhythm change, and the sparkling guitar tone, and the lyrical theme that is so spot-on. With words like those, it's no wonder Morrissey became such a beloved icon for his fans.

You've Got Everything Now - The best Smiths song with "Now" in the title. Again, the lyrics are pure maudlin English poetry.

Well I Wonder - The saddest of all Smiths songs. If the beautiful chord progression, nigh-on perfect choice of guitar, bass and drum lines, magnificent vocal and plaintive lyrics don't bring a tear to your eye, you should stick to manufactured plastic pop music and leave this real stuff to those of us who can appreciate it.

Is that ten already? Damn...
<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->www.myspace.com/gesekki<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
Boywiththethorninhisside
Regular

Postby Herzeleid » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:15 pm

1) I know it's over (joint best smiths song ever imo)
2) There is a light that never goes out
3) Asleep
4) Please please please let me get what i want
5) Hand in glove
6) Suffer little children
7) Heaven knows im miserable now
8) The headmaster ritual (really reminds me of early REM)
9) Rusholme ruffians
10) Bigmouth strikes again
Last edited by Herzeleid on Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herzeleid
Regular

Postby Perfect Drug » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:18 pm

10. What She Said
9. Suffer Little Children
8. I want ther one I can't have
7. Girl Afraid
6. Hand In Glove
5. Reel around the fountain
4. I know it's over
3. Asleep
2. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
1. A Rush and A Push And The Land Is Ours

This was pretty hard, and I'm still not 100% sure. <!--emo&:blink:-->Image<!--endemo-->
Last edited by Perfect Drug on Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>At all events when, after many hours, the door was opened and people thronged in, they found the murderer unconscious and in a raging fever. The prince was sitting by him, motionless, and each time that the sick man gave a laugh, or a shout, he hastened to pass his own trembling hand over his companion's hair and cheeks, as though trying to soothe and quiet him. But alas he understood nothing of what was said to him, and recognized none of those who surrounded him.</span>
Perfect Drug
Supreme

Postby Truman Capote » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:19 pm

1- There is A Light That Never Goes Out
2- Well I Wonder
3- Reel Around The Fountain
4- Heaven Knows I`m Misserable Now
5- This Night Has Opened My Eyes
6- A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours
7- Nowhere Fast
8- The headmaster Ritual
9- How Soon Is Now
10- Pretty Girls Make Graves

Oh, God, how I hate this threads, to pick just 10 songs is impossible...
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to The Smiths