What song

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Liger » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:10 am

Stop me if you think you've heard this one before and Girlfriend in a coma
Liger
Regular

Postby Lazy Dyke » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:42 am

The first song I heard by The Smiths was "This Charming Man" and then I downloaded a few tracks, got really hooked on tracks such as "Ask" and "Stop me if you've heard this one before." and went out and bought some C.D's. But I'd go for "This Charming Man" seen as it was the first track I heard. <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> Hoozah' for pub dukeboxes.
Lazy Dyke
Smiths Nut!

Postby Rodchenko » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:26 pm

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out and I know It's Over.
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

Postby JaneSays » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:17 pm

Like - This Charming Man
Love - Bigmouth Stikes Again
JaneSays
Supreme

Postby bernie brown » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:12 am

I got into them first through "William it was really..." and "The Boy with the Thorn in his side" ...but it was six months later when I went totally to another level when I bought Louder than Bombs and first heard "Half A Person" ...to me that just had a feel that sold me forever.
the only Smiths fan in the village
bernie brown
Advanced

Postby Baggy » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:23 am

it has to be Cemetry Gates, it was the first song i ever heard by The Smiths. My mate sent it to me on msn and after I heard it i went a bit crazy and downloaded the rest of their stuff of of itunes. The Smiths are great.
Baggy

Postby some_dizzy_whore_1804 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:12 pm

Heaven Know's I'm Miserable Now- "In my life, why do i smile at people who I'd much rather kick in the eye!!!" <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> I now ALWAYS think that whenever I see someone who falls in that category!

And now you know the truth about me, you won't see me anymore!
But i'm still fond of you...oh oh
some_dizzy_whore_1804
Supreme

Postby atomium » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:33 pm

The first Smiths song I heard was “What difference does it make”, and when I listened to it I was like: “Hm...Exciting stuff, maybe I shall listen to some more of their songs.” And so I did…I think it was when I heard “Girl Afraid” I knew that ‘The Smiths’ had found its way into my heart. And this was confirmed when I had just bought “Hatful of Hollow” and I heard the tunes of “This Charming Man”…What can I say, it’s impossible not to be charmed by their lovely tunes and Morrissey’s enchanting vocal.

Sorry, I know my English is bad.
atomium
Supreme

Postby Bref » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:09 pm

a rush and a push and the land is ours
such brilliant lyrics:

HELLO
I am the ghost of Troubled Joe
hung by his pretty white neck
some eighteen months ago
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

but also lyrics that resonated with how I feel:

I'm alright, dad
just surprised to still be on my own....
Ooh, but don't mention love

after that song they became my #1 band.
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Book Antiqua--><span style="font-family:Book Antiqua"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial Narrow--><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->Half of the time we're gone but we don't know where,
we don't know where.
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Bref
Smiths Nut!

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:53 pm

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out was the first Smiths' song I have ever listened and I fell in love with that voice. I will never forget him.
Holly Golightly

Postby Shakespeare's Sister » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:45 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Holly Golightly+Mar 14 2006, 10:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Holly Golightly @ Mar 14 2006, 10:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> There Is A Light That Never Goes Out was the first Smiths' song I have ever listened and I fell in love with that voice. I will never forget him. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Me too! I heard There Is A Light and it was so different to any other music i had ever heard and than i listened to Hand In Glove and i was hooked.

Hooked till death do us part.

I have never felt this way about another band and i doubt i ever will.
Last edited by Shakespeare's Sister on Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Well I'm not listening no more<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
Shakespeare's Sister
Smiths Nut!

Postby TheLuckIveHad » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:05 pm

The first songs i had heard were 'What Difference Does It Make?' along with 'Hand In Glove' and I thought they were really great but I think 'This Charming Man', 'I Know It's Over' and 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out' are the songs that changed me and made me love them.
I'll Never Make That Mistake Again.
TheLuckIveHad
Supreme

Postby Grim O'Grady » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:22 pm

my road to damascus moment was at a mates bedsit, he had The Smiths blaring out of his cassette player & it was Suffer Little Children, well the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end, all I could do was get him to copy me the cassette right away, I had to have it there & then!
Now there's no turning back or running away!

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:09 pm

Some Girls... got me interested for the first time, then How Soon Is Now got me going really. Also part of the credit has to go to some Morrissey quotes and stories about the band that got me interested and got me motivated to make an efford to analyse the music.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Stillill » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:59 pm

I was a bit of a slow learner, because in the '80s I wasn't that interested in music.
The being-a-teenager-in-the-'80s experience was sort of wasted on me. I was aware of The Smiths, but never took an interest in them at the time.

It wasn't until the early '90s, when I started to become the music junkie I still am, that I began to appreciate and love them.
The first time that I *really* listened to How Soon Is Now? is what did it for me. And it's still one of my favourites.
Stillill

PreviousNext

Return to The Smiths