What song

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Melanie » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:53 pm

Frankly, Mr. Shankly
then
A rush and push and the land is ours
and
Death of a disco dancer...

After that I was instantly hooked
<!--fonto:Book Antiqua--><span style="font-family:Book Antiqua"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#6600CC--><span style="color:#6600CC"><!--/coloro--><!--fonto:Arial Narrow--><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><!--/fonto-->i am a poor, freezingly cold soul
so far from where i intended to go...<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Melanie

Postby laidinawe » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:54 am

I'm new, but really wanted to add my piece!

It was there is a light that never goes out that i first heard by the smiths, but i was to find this was just the tip of the iceberg, its a great song but for me its not the best.

When i heard these things take time they were being cemented in my mind as one of the best bands i had ever heard.

Then when i heard back to the old house, it blew me away. That song is on a par with this night has opened my eyes, breathtaking. For me these two songs are so beautiful i cant choose between the two, these two songs made me realise just how special the smiths were.

Thanks.
Last edited by laidinawe on Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
A shoeless child on a swing
Reminds you of your own again
She took away your troubles
Oh, but then again
She left pain
So, please save your life
Because you've only got one
laidinawe

Postby Perfect Drug » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:57 pm

Asleep.
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>At all events when, after many hours, the door was opened and people thronged in, they found the murderer unconscious and in a raging fever. The prince was sitting by him, motionless, and each time that the sick man gave a laugh, or a shout, he hastened to pass his own trembling hand over his companion's hair and cheeks, as though trying to soothe and quiet him. But alas he understood nothing of what was said to him, and recognized none of those who surrounded him.</span>
Perfect Drug
Supreme

Postby Moz » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:28 pm

Hard to narrow it down to a single song.....the Queen is dead album really done it for me, it still must be one of the most played albums yet.

If I was pushed and bullied into picking a single song ,I think it would be "There is a light" ,this still holds a special place in my being.
I think , therefore....i'm not so sure.
For Billy Budd.
Moz

Postby art hellman » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:28 pm

1. what difference does it make
2. death at one's elbow
3. handsome devil
art hellman

Postby MDbum » Fri May 05, 2006 7:40 am

The first song that got me hooked was Bigmouth Strikes Again.

The one that knocked me out was The Boy With the Thorn In His Side. The whimsical tunes, the jangly guitars, the pessimistic yet wonderful lyrics, what else could i ask for?
MDbum

Postby convergence » Sat May 06, 2006 5:30 pm

I know it's over was the first song that ever captured my attention. Bigmouth was probably the first song I ever loved though.
convergence
Advanced

Postby tca2005 » Tue May 09, 2006 7:07 pm

Would have to be The Boy With A Thorn in his side. Funny story this one - as I mentioned on my intro thread I have only been a Smiths fan for 2/3 years. Well I had been into them for a while, and I was sitting there with my mum and brother watching "Blackpool", a musical drama on BBC1, when they started playing this song, and the main character was miming to it along with the rest of the cast. I dropped what I was doing and just sat there with a big grin on my face, then ran upstairs to listen to it again. :)
Make no mistake my friend, your pointless life will end.
tca2005
Advanced

Postby atomium » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:16 pm

child_from_those_ugly_new_houses wrote:Would have to be The Boy With A Thorn in his side. Funny story this one - as I mentioned on my intro thread I have only been a Smiths fan for 2/3 years. Well I had been into them for a while, and I was sitting there with my mum and brother watching "Blackpool", a musical drama on BBC1, when they started playing this song, and the main character was miming to it along with the rest of the cast. I dropped what I was doing and just sat there with a big grin on my face, then ran upstairs to listen to it again. :)

Sweet :D

Anto -
atomium
Supreme

Postby StellaMare » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:21 am

I know it's over

My dad borrowed me The Queen Is Dead one day and told me to listen to it, so I did,
and I quite liked the first two songs, but then came I Know It's Over and I was hooked.
Lovely, I should really thank my dad for it.
StellaMare

Postby strangeways » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:59 pm

Like many others I started with TQID, but it was Hatful of Hollow that really blew me away. Particularly that version of This Charming Man.

Strange that I hardly listen to HOH anymore.
strangeways

Postby Disco_dancer_in_a_coma » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:50 pm

What song made me love The Smiths?

"There is a Light that Never Goes Out."

What song made me love The Smiths 4-EVR??? ;)

"How Soon is Now?"
Disco_dancer_in_a_coma
Regular

Postby Hidden by Rags » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:24 pm

Weirdly, the first time I heard the Smiths (as far as I know) was last year when I watched the BBC drama Blackpool - The Boy With The Thorn In His Side as sung by David Tennant as he arrested a drug dealer. I was captivated by it, so I bought the Very Best Of CD (for my sins), and by the end of There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, I was a quivering wreck - the most beautiful song I've ever heard. I've now got all the songs, but There Is A Light is still the one.
Hidden by Rags
Regular

Postby Strange Infatuation » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:52 pm

there is a light that never goes out, of course :D

I actually wrote a full length placebo fanfiction partially based around that song.
Strange Infatuation

Postby Bouazizi » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:33 pm

Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

- it's by far the best song of all time, in my opinion.

B)
<!--fonto:Verdana--><span style="font-family:Verdana"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->♪ ♫<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#FF6600--><span style="color:#FF6600"><!--/coloro-->there is a light that never goes out<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Bouazizi
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to The Smiths