What song

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Midnight » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:45 am

The very first song I heard was Panic, which I thought was good, but I was taken by How Soon Is Now? which came second. By the time I heard There Is a Light That Never Goes Out shortly after, I knew that there was absolutely no turning back.
Midnight

Postby cacophoney » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:02 pm

rubygirl wrote:<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue"><!--/coloro-->I was wondering what particular song made you realise you LOVED The Smiths - I don't mean just like them, but realise they have a special place in your life. <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

For me, it was I Started Something - I was sitting in the sofa, watching the video, when realised there was something about The Smiths, that this band is different and very special.

definitely, There is a light that never goes out.
it was perfect -- nice bassline, nice music, moz sang it perfectly, and the lyrics was bloomin brilliant;

"and if a double decker bus crashes into us.. to die by yr side is such a heavenly to die
and if a 10 ton truck kills the both of us, to die by your side, well the pleasure the privilege is mine"

it's not often you find a song that could be so sad, funny and romantic in the same time..
cacophoney

Postby madmancmonkey » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:06 am

i dont know about what song made me love the smiths .... but this chraming man on HFH galivnised it!!!!! I love you Moz! :D
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Postby JNP369 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:16 pm

I was in college back in 1986 and my teammate on the university soccer team loaned me his cassette tape of TQID. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side was the song that stood out from a song sound stand point. It just flowed with all 4 parts (voice, bass, drum & guitar) in perfect harmony. Then I read the words to I Know It's Over, and I was hooked. Though I was not even close to being down during this time, that song struck me because I realized that others probably felt like they aren't alive (just going through the motions). The line 'Oh mother I can feel, the soil falling over my head" is unbelievable and can be used not just about death of a person, but death of an emotion, hunger, pain, joy...

Jeff
JNP369

Postby Lina » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:16 am

There is a light that never goes out. My sister played that for me when I was 16 years old
Lina

Postby kurt » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:52 pm

the song that made me love the smiths was the first i heard by them - this charming man, im currently learing how to play it, so far so good!
<div align="left"><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green"><!--/coloro-->Everything you say to me takes me One step closer to the edge</div>

<div align="right">and I'm about to break<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
kurt
Supreme

Postby irishbloodirishheart » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:52 pm

for me it was I Know Its Over , i was listening to The Very Best Of The Smiths in my dads car and when that song came on i fell in love with that voice and ive never looked back!

xxx
irishbloodirishheart
Advanced

Previous

Return to The Smiths