Early vs. Late

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby rEEdy^^ » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:12 pm

deffo the early stuff
rEEdy^^
Supreme

Postby Boywiththethorninhisside » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:40 pm

The early stuff, if you have to choose between just "early" or "late".

I think The Smiths had a lot more energy, intensity, and originality than Strangeways. It may be less polished, the band themselves may have become more accomplished musicians over time, but in the early days I feel they all had so much more to prove, and were giving all they had to something that was still fresh and new to them. By Strangeways, well, they were a bit like the Beatles during Let It Be...they'd done it all before too many times to really care with that same youthful passion.

Does the fact that Johnny bailed as soon as Strangeways was done suggest that he had lost interest even during the making of the album? To me it does, and let's be honest, do you work your best when you *want* to do something, or just because you *have* to?
<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->www.myspace.com/gesekki<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
Boywiththethorninhisside
Regular

Postby elko » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:57 pm

I think that he realised that if they were going to carry on, they would have to make a significant step forward on their next album (as they had done everytime previously), and I'm not sure that was possible. So with that in mind, he took a little break, and the pressures in that period made him realise that he didn't need the hassle, or didn't think it would be worth it.

I do agree that sometimes Strangeways seems somehow too professional, but it is done so perfectly and with such great songs that it's still an amazing album.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:36 pm

Louder Than Bombs was the first Smiths album I heard. So that one is special to me. Strangeways and The Queen is Dead, I like those the most. I think <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Alex
Smiths Nut!

Postby HadjiQuest » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:55 pm

Early.
HadjiQuest
Supreme

Postby Alex » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:55 am

Now I'm liking their debut a lot too <!--emo&:huh:-->Image<!--endemo-->
Alex
Smiths Nut!

Postby Splinter » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:39 pm

Every Album has his own good and bad songs, i really can't choose.
Splinter
Advanced

Postby Bref » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:03 pm

The debut was their best album. Early Smiths music was faster paced and lyrically it had more bite. I love strangeways but their early stuff is more engaging.
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Book Antiqua--><span style="font-family:Book Antiqua"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial Narrow--><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->Half of the time we're gone but we don't know where,
we don't know where.
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Bref
Smiths Nut!

Postby Marcz » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:46 am

Hard to say but i guess i prefer the old stuff... But for Morrissey, Viva hate, Bona drag and Kill Uncle, in other words, the early stuff.
Marcz
Advanced

Postby Mozzerella » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:59 pm

I voted late. It was hard to choose 'cause I like all their albums but The Queen Is Dead is my favourite (I reserve all rights to change my opinion <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->) and some of my favourite tracks are on Strangeways, Here We Come.
<a href='http://www.last.fm/user/Mozaic/?chartstyle=MeatisMurder' target='_blank'>Image</a>
Mozzerella
Smiths Nut!

Postby bernie brown » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:08 am

it's funny isnt it ? Nowadays some bands take three years to release a new album and the Smiths had virtually released all of their stuff in not much more time than that.
I havent had the joy of hearing the Smiths unroll in real time through the singles and the albums. Its all pretty new and NOW for me so I just keep listening to them all and equally love early stuff and late stuff.

But I guess I probably LOVE more of the late stuff. Is Meat is Murder early late or middle ?
the only Smiths fan in the village
bernie brown
Advanced

Postby sonandheir » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:53 am

<!--QuoteBegin-bernie brown+Feb 17 2006, 05:08 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bernie brown @ Feb 17 2006, 05:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->But I guess I probably LOVE more of the late stuff. Is Meat is Murder early late or middle ?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Middle. Although TQID is probably my favourite Smiths album, MIM has been growing on me a lot lately. It's probably something to do with the diverse styles of the songs. Take for example "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" and "Barbarism Begins at Home" - two completely different sounding songs. I think it's that eclectic mix of songs which I find somewhat appealing. <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->
<span style='color:blue'>"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi</span>
sonandheir
Supreme

Postby bernie brown » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:26 am

My favourite on MIM is Well I wonder, which I really like. And of course..That Joke isnt Funny but the others havent really grabbed me like the other albums. But there's no rush...these things take time..
the only Smiths fan in the village
bernie brown
Advanced

Postby Liger » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:25 am

I have never been able to pick an absolute favourite smiths album because I like both Strangeways and the debut album equally as much!
There are too many standout songs on both these albums so i couldn't possibly answer.
Liger
Regular

Previous

Return to The Smiths