Vegetarians?

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby elko » Fri May 28, 2004 2:48 pm

Just wondering if anyone here is a vegetarian, and if so were they influenced in their desicion by Morrissey's lyrics on Meat Is Murder and his opinions?
I'm thinking about trying it, because what he has said in interviews made a lot of sense to me.

elko
elko
Site Admin

Postby alabaster » Fri May 28, 2004 3:17 pm

i thought about it, but then i thought - 'i dont feel in my heart its wrong. i greatly admire morrissey, but i dont share his view. if i did it just for him, there'd be no point'

i like meat.
alabaster

Postby elko » Fri May 28, 2004 5:15 pm

Thing is recently I have been thinking 'a death for no reason, etc' every time I have been eating meat. So I am trying being a veggie for abit, to see how I feel.

elko
elko
Site Admin

Postby Fabienne » Fri May 28, 2004 8:00 pm

I am vegetarian, but this wasn't directly influenced by Morrissey.
It was in those days when we finally had the BSE thing in Germany, too.
There were lots of reports on TV about it and they showed death animals on the farms with rats running all around them. That was so shocking to me that I decided to quit meat. I wasn't so much into Morrissey at that time, but when I spent more time on him and found out about his attitude towards meat, I just felt like: "Hey, that's great.."
Fabienne
Regular

Postby elko » Fri May 28, 2004 10:50 pm

I am trying vegetarianism starting now, not just because of Morrissey, but because every time I eat meat I can't help thinking about the animal. Maybe this is because of Moz. I don't know. I'll see what happens.

elko
elko
Site Admin

Postby Fabienne » Sat May 29, 2004 9:53 am

Keep us informed how you're getting on with it.. <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Fabienne
Regular

Postby Guest » Sat May 29, 2004 11:38 am

I have been vegetarian for most of my life, I don't think there's really a point to eating meat, It doesn't taste that nice and it's really bad for you.

Postby countingcrows » Sat May 29, 2004 11:38 am

Sorry, that was me, forgot to sign in again!
countingcrows

Postby elko » Mon May 31, 2004 8:13 pm

yeah I was chatting to your brother about vegetarianism, didn't realise you were too. Cool.
I have done 3 days, and believe it or not, accidently ate a burger on sunday! <!--emo&:rolleyes:-->Image<!--endemo--> It was so odd, just as I'd finished eating it I thought 'oops!'
Still, I am sticking to it.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Guest_Minardi » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:02 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Guest+May 29 2004, 11:38 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ May 29 2004, 11:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I have been vegetarian for most of my life, I don't think there's really a point to eating meat, It doesn't taste that nice and it's really bad for you. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Is it? How? Sure if it's really fatty then it's not healthy, but a nice bit a lean chicken isnt going to shorten your life.
Guest_Minardi

Postby girl_afraid » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:20 pm

Interesting topic! How did your veggie stint go, Elko?

Yeah, I am currently giving the meat-free lifestyle a try. It's not 100% due to Morrissey, I'd been considering it for a loooong time, but I don't know if I'd ever really have tried it if it wasn't for Moz - he sort of alerted me to it more. I never used to think about the fact that meat is actually animals before, and it never really bothered me, but now... I just really don't like the idea very much.

I've never really liked red meat much anyway, and I've been veggie for about 3 weeks now, and the only things I really miss are cocktail sausages! It is kind of annoying when shops don't have vegetarian things though.
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:07 am

I grew up on a farm, our animals were our food, but then I moved to a suburb, and the PETA got a hold of me for about 30 minutes...and I couldn't eat meat for months. I got really sick and gained some weight, so it eventually ended. I was just really shocked to see that not everyone treated their animals as wonderfully as my family did while they were living, plus, store bought meat never really tasted as good...good luck Elko.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:05 pm

Have been going for about two months now <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
elko
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:12 am

Still goin' stong, Elko?
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:17 am

Yep, no problems! I though it might not last, but I'm not sure I'll ever eat meat again. It all just looks really unappealing now.
elko
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Smiths