[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - Ask Me, Ask Me, Ask Me

Ask Me, Ask Me, Ask Me

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby rubygirl » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:00 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Grim O'Grady+Oct 20 2005, 09:55 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Grim O'Grady @ Oct 20 2005, 09:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Morrissey has a penchant for tossing his shirt(s) into the audience during his solo gigs but can anyone remember when it started, did he ever do it with The Smiths?
<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Well, I don't have the option to actually 'remember' anything related to The Smiths, as I've been a little girl back then and not into that kind of music, but I think he's done it in those old days as well: I recall reading someone's story of how he went to a Smiths gig in 1984 and one of the highlights was how Morrissey threw his shirt to the audience and quite a few people managed to get a piece of it.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Disused Railway Line » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:05 pm

Hi,

Just found this site whilst I was looking for an answer to a question I had.

I've moved house recently and as ever when upheavals happen I came across loads of stuff I'd forgotten about including some cassettes of Smiths gigs I hadn't listened to for ages. Last night I was listening to the Glasgow gig from Autumn 1985 and, well, it suddenly struck me, did I see The Smiths in Autumn 85? I saw them about 8 or 9 times in total but the first time was at the Manchester Palace in the spring of 85. I'm sure if they'd have played in the North West anywhere in the autumn I would have gone to see them but I honestly can't remember. Were the autumn gigs just Scottish ones? That seems familiar. If anybody could direct me to a list of UK tour dates of late 85 I would be really grateful.

Looks a great site btw, I'm off for an explore now,

Thanks
Disused Railway Line

Postby Disused Railway Line » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:07 pm

Oh, and Grim,

Yes, Morrissey has always tossed his shirt into the crowd, along with flowers, spectacles, hearing aids etc. I think the inside gatefold cover of Rank shows a picture of a shirt being ripped up. I may well be horribly wrong though, please feel free to disabuse me.
Disused Railway Line

Postby Grim O'Grady » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:16 pm

cheers & welcome DRL,
here's the info you seeked (?) also

1985 'meat is murder' tour, uk/europe leg

Feb 27 - Chippenham, Golddiggers
Feb 28 - Guildford, Civic Hall
Mar 1 - London, Brixton Academy
Mar 3 - Portsmouth, Guildhall
Mar 4 - Reading, Hexagon
Mar 6 - Poole, Arts Centre
Mar 7 - Brighton, Dome
Mar 8 - Margate, Winter Gardens
Mar 11 - Ipswich, Gaumont
Mar 12 - Nottingham, Royal Centre
Mar 16 - Stoke-On-Trent, Hanley Victoria Hall
Mar 17 - Birmingham, Hippodrome
Mar 18 - Oxford, Apollo Theatre
Mar 22 - Sheffield, City Hall
Mar 23 - Middlesborough, Town Hall
Mar 24 - Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, City Hall
Mar 27 - Liverpool, Royal Court
Mar 28 - Bradford, St George's Hall
Mar 29 - Northampton, Derngate Centre
Mar 31 - Manchester, Palace
Apr 1 - Leicester, De Montfort Hall
Apr 4 - Bristol, Hippodrome
Apr 6 - London, Royal Albert Hall
May 14 - Rome (Italy), Tendetrisce
May 17 - Barcelona (Spain), Studio 54
May 18 - Madrid (Spain), Paseo De Camoens

(pinched from the <a href='http://passionsjustlikemine.com/index.htm' target='_blank'>passions</a> site btw)

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Disused Railway Line » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:52 pm

Ah, that's great, thanks very much. That's exactly what I was looking for, and thanks for the link, I knew there must be a list of gigs somewhere.

So it was just a Scottish tour in the autumn after all. Nice review of the Glasgow show - 'it was very hectic. There was a lot of pushing and shoving in the mad crowd, many fans were injured and had to miss the end of the show.'

Funny, I don't remember Radio 1 recording that show at all, or broadcasting it. Looking at the tape I have I definitely bought it as it has a 'boot' cover on it, can't think why I would have done that if it was going to be / had been on the radio. Very nice cover of the 'Whats the world'.

I wonder what that Lerwick gig must have been like?

Thanks again,
Disused Railway Line

Postby Grim O'Grady » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:21 pm

The Lerwick boot is superb recording quality wise but there's little to no atmosphere.

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:33 pm

Welcome to the forum, glad you found out what you were after.

Grim, has 'Passions...' been done up recently? Looks very smart.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Grim O'Grady » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:06 pm

yeah Elks, he's done a good job on it, though I thought it was simpler to navigate prior to this change but that's progress eh?

love

Grim

Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:59 am

I always assumed 'Stephane' was a girl....

I guess it is a bit more fiddly to find what you want, but so long as it looks cool, that's all that matters <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->
elko
Site Admin

Postby Grim O'Grady » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:37 am

Yep E, I also assumed Stephane was a woman at first, an easy internet mistake to make <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> sheesh

love

G

Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Previous

Return to The Smiths