[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - Songs That Saved Your Life

Songs That Saved Your Life

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby elko » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:17 pm

It's basically all the non-album b-sides (Jeane, Draize Train, etc) and some BBC sessions (Rusholme Ruffians, Nowhere Fast, alternate William... and more I think), and he stuck on some Smiths influnces as well (like Twinkle's original version ogf Golden Lights). I will have to e-mail him, although I don't like to hassle him for fear of not getting a response. I have tried to get him on this forum <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->, but with no success.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:11 pm

elko, I believe Noonan had discouraged you from reading the Severed Alliance. I think you would find it fascinating. Each of their lives are written about in a parallel sort of way. It's very interesting to read about that paths that they took and how it led to the formation of the Smiths. As a musician I think you'll find it inspiring. I haven't gotten around to reading it again, I got through it so quick the first time.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:18 pm

Maybe I'll put it on my Christmas list <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
elko
Site Admin

Postby girl_afraid » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:04 am

It's on mine and I know I've got it because I saw (totally accidentally!) mum buy it in Waterstones...

Good to know that it really is worth reading it, I wanted it to see why Morrissey made such a fuss about it ("I hope Johnny Rogan ends his days very soon in a pile-up on the M3" etc. etc.) and also just because it's Smiths-related, and it focuses on Johnny too, rather than only Morrissey, which lots of biographies tend to do. <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby violaviolet » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:19 pm

i bought my copy whilst on holiday in the Uk back in October.<!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo--> hope you all get yours for Xmas.
shyness is nice...
violaviolet

Postby elko » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:21 pm

Where abouts did you go to over here? What did you see?
elko
Site Admin

Postby Mr-Shankly » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:20 am

Just got the new edition. Fantastic from what i've read so far. 4.97 in music zone! Bargain!
Names, secret names. But never in my favour.
Mr-Shankly
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:26 pm

WHAT? That's even cheaper than mine!! Well, by like 50p... Still, 50p is 50p.

Good work on the bargain <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby violaviolet » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:35 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Dec 8 2004, 09:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Dec 8 2004, 09:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Where abouts did you go to over here? What did you see? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Spent one afternoon trapsing about London. It was quite simply one of the greatest afternoons of my life. I know that must sounds strange to some of you.<!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Also saw Edinburgh, Dublin, York, and Liverpool.
shyness is nice...
violaviolet

Postby elko » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:46 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-violaviolet+Dec 16 2004, 09:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (violaviolet @ Dec 16 2004, 09:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-elko+Dec 8 2004, 09:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Dec 8 2004, 09:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Where abouts did you go to over here? What did you see? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Spent one afternoon trapsing about London. It was quite simply one of the greatest afternoons of my life. I know that must sounds strange to some of you.<!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Also saw Edinburgh, Dublin, York, and Liverpool. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Wow, interesting choices. Why anyone would wnat to go to York, I don't know. What did you find intruiging about the place? (I'm presuming you live somewhere in the US, but correct me if I'm wrong).
elko
Site Admin

Postby reclamation » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:11 pm

My housemates bought Songs that Saved Your Life & The Complete Picture DVD for me for my birthday last year [& put a picture of Mozza on my homemade birthday card too <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->] & I love it. I have far too many books about the Smiths & Morrissey really. Almost all of my music books are about them.
[size=1]Slytherin pride/size]
reclamation
Supreme

Postby elko » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:39 am

Just out of interest, what other books do you have?
elko
Site Admin

Postby reclamation » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:37 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Jan 9 2005, 12:39 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Jan 9 2005, 12:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Just out of interest, what other books do you have? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
I have ;
Severed Alliance
Songs that Saved Your Life
Saint Morrissey
Morrissey-Passion & Scandal
& one which I think was written by Mick Middles in the 80s which is just called The Smiths.
[size=1]Slytherin pride/size]
reclamation
Supreme

Postby tallulahtaurus » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:19 pm

Aaah snap Reclamation I have all those books too although personally I don't think that that much Smiths and Morrissey can ever be considered too much, in fact I am trying to gain more with ebays help (fingers crossed) the insight from The Severed Alliance in paticular are just invaluable!!

Girl Afraid and Elko did you actually get copies? I love that book and have reread it so much recently, (now that I am getting into Johnny Marr's music a lot more) that I really should put it away... obsessional me!!
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:23 pm

I don't have it yet, although I read a bit of it the other day. I probably will get it fairly soon, next time I go past a book shop with more than 50p in my pocket probably.
elko
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Smiths