Atmosphere for Young Smiths Fans

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby scavenger » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:49 pm

i have never really been "ostracized" for liking the smiths or morrissey but rather i make everyone else feel stupid for not knowing what im talking about. ill make references that people never get from something smith-moz related and they'll just try to play along although i know they have no idea what im talking about...its rather fun. but in terms of being ostracized, i do wish i knew people who understand just how much their music means in my life. with the music thats around today, people dont understand how a simple song can have such an impact...how morrissey can save your life.

i think smiths fans get this kind of crap because people just dont understand. i would never say this anywhere but a venue like this but morrissey's lyrics make you...well me at least...feel like there is at least ONE person in world who understands what im going through and exactly how i feel. i mean there are so many smiths songs that take the words literally, right out of my mind. thats why i love them, i dont think there is anyone else who could understand me as well as morrissey does and for gods sake, he doesnt even know me. how beautiful is that? people suck so bad, they really do, especially teenage girls. i dont think i really answered the questions but i just had to get that off my chest.
Oh, but don't mention love
I'd hate the pain of the strain all over again
A rush and a push and the land that
We stand on is ours
It has been before
So why can't it be now?
And people who are weaker than you or I
They take what they want from life
scavenger
Supreme

Postby Miserable Liar » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:38 pm

Well, it is YOUR atmosphere, you are a young smith's fan, so you did answer it right.
Welcome to the forum!
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:47 pm

i've been ostracised loads of times at school (yuck... schools... who'd go to one??) for lots of things, usually for the music i like, so im pretty used to it, and thats why i am attracted to "outsider" type lyrics like moz's. it really feels like he knows how i feel and his lyrics express how i feel. i dont know many people - especially ppl my own age - who would admit that there are song lyrics out there that express how they feel: they're just too busy trying to be trendy or cool or whatever, and it's "uncool" to say that you relate to other people's lyrics and they express your feelings.
i found a bunch of indie types at school who got ostracised for their musical taste, and even tho theyre not smiths/moz fans, theyre ok with them, and theyre into bands like radiohead that are influenced by them so they appreciate them. so i dont mind admitting im a fan to those people.
but a lot of people at school are into so-called "R&B" (which is basically chav music and has nothing to do with rhythm & blues!) and chart crap and whatever's trendy today. they dont really have their own opinions on music, they just go with whatever is popular. theyre the sort of people who ostracise others for their taste in music.
thank god i've left school now! i hope theres more fans at university <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> im really looking forward to it. altho i still have nightmares that im still at school <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:04 pm

Only one year of the nightmare left....
But I seem to be pretty ostracized from everything and so noone really notices what music I'm into. We had a non uniform day a moth or two back and I wore my queen is dead shirt, didnt get any stick for it, surprisingly.
I have one friend who is really into the Smiths, a couple like them but dont really know anything about them, and sort of seemed to be following me and my mate. Oh well.

oh and helmoz, you could not be more on point about R'b, or as i call it hip pop, or is im feeling really bitter, pure unadulterated shit.
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:37 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->oh and helmoz, you could not be more on point about R'b, or as i call it hip pop, or is im feeling really bitter, pure unadulterated shit. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ditto, well-said mate.
i tend to think of it as "formula music" wherein not a shred of creativity is required to produce a "smash hit".

i've the sneaking feeling the vast majority of humanity has turned into mindless sheep.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby scavenger » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:32 am

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> i've the sneaking feeling the vast majority of humanity has turned into mindless sheep <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

god, i couldnt have said it better myself. people are so afraid of being different or of simply being themselves, it makes me sick. thats the main reason i cant stand half the people i know, theyre just a bunch of clones. the other girls at school tell me i listen to weird music and the guys in the bands arent cute or they're too old..like that has anything to do with the actual music they produce. but the second its on the o.c.."like omg its so totally in right now."

ahhh, i feel so much better after my little rant. just as long as they keep their claws off Moz im <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
Oh, but don't mention love
I'd hate the pain of the strain all over again
A rush and a push and the land that
We stand on is ours
It has been before
So why can't it be now?
And people who are weaker than you or I
They take what they want from life
scavenger
Supreme

Postby Still Ill » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:42 am

<!--QuoteBegin-helmoz+Aug 12 2005, 03:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (helmoz @ Aug 12 2005, 03:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->but a lot of people at school are into so-called "R&B" (which is basically chav music and has nothing to do with rhythm & blues!) and chart crap and whatever's trendy today. they dont really have their own opinions on music, they just go with whatever is popular. theyre the sort of people who ostracise others for their taste in music.
thank god i've left school now! i hope theres more fans at university  <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> im really looking forward to it. altho i still have nightmares that im still at school  <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo--><!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Well the good thing about moving on to college or uni is that the music trend seems to change somewhat, or at least people make their own mark in music. College radio changed a lot of that for the outsider or indie types on campus. I'm guessing it's still true now. I actually think you'll have a better experience then, so I'm thinking the nightmares should soon end for you.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:25 pm

I've meaning to tell you what a glorious Smiths-realted experince I've had, but couldn't find enough time till now...
So, my friend Alex, she's an avid music fan, but had not heard of The Smiths before I mentioned them to her; then last week I mentioned them again, saying what a proofund impact they've had on me and she decided she wanted to hear more.
So I started telling the story of the band, she was very interested,wanted to hear every detail ( I was more than happy to give every detail), so I went on for hours - to my total delight <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
In the end she declared the story is fascinating and now she can really relate to and respect such a band. And as I was 'illustrating' the story with some tracks, Alex utterly fell in love with These Things Take Time, Bigmouth and Paint A Vulgar Picture <!--emo&:rolleyes:-->Image<!--endemo-->
Then yesterday she called to inform me she's been recommending The smiths to some other friend of her who asked what album to listen to first - to get an impression. I said, 'The Queen Is Dead", she went,"No, he doesn't want to start with the msot popular one, he doesn't believe in popular albums" <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo--> , so I suggested 'Hatful of Hollow'.
Needless to say anything of the kind has ever happened to me before... <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby atomium » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:38 am

Me and two class mates of mine were going to perform a small “Smiths-concert” for the rest of the class and some teachers…We practised for a few weeks…Before playing, we had decorated the classroom with flowers and all, just to get that Smiths feeling. It was so beautiful in there. But something happened to our vocalist, he went home, and we had to call everything off…our teacher he said: “Oh, well. The class can still come in here and eat the cake that you’ve made, and you will have to tell them that you won’t be able to perform.”

And so the whole class came inside and their eyes were like: “God, how silly, flowers? Huh? They’ve spend their money on flower, tragic.” And I remember when they sat down, and we started talking to them, saying: “We were supposed to play a little Smiths tribute gig for you all today, mostly because we’ve recently read about their music and Morrissey in Gryttens’ book, and because we’re going to hear some of their songs in the theatre when we see “Bikubesong”, but also because this music means a lot to us. But unfortunately something has occurred and we will not be able to play for you. We think this is very sad, since we’ve practised for many weeks now, and we’ve really gone over the loops to give you the total Smiths feeling, with flowers and all. Instead, we will put on the “Hatful of Hollow” album, so you can listen to some of the songs. We hope will enjoy these songs, it’s such a great album...”

Then me and the one who was going to play bass went outside meanwhile the class sat inside the classroom listening to Hatful and eating cake…It’s was so sad sitting there and listening to This Charming Man, knowing that we should have been in there playing it to them.

One of my friends came out from the classroom, and she said she hoped we were not to sad about not being able to play. And I said to her that at least the class appreciated what we had done for them. And she told us that: “Not exactly, you know, they sit in there and they’re like: For how long do we have to sit in here and listen to this? And the flowers, how silly's that? Did you see they started crying when they told us they couldn’t play for us? That’s stupid! Well, at least there’s plenty of cake here…”

God!!! I hate that kind of attitude. So what if I cried because we couldn’t play? We had been planning it for several weeks, and really made an effort to give the class a special experience. They’ve got no right to say such things, it made me so angry then. It still makes me angry. It’s just the lack of respect when someone tries to make an effort, and that pisses me off. But I'm also thinking: “Dear class mates, you can all enjoy your hip-hop music with synthetic drum-beats and your rap music, I’ve got something more valuable I’ve got the Smiths – and that’s more then you’ll ever get, and it’s something you’ll never understand.”

That’s how it’s like here in Norway. People are afraid to say things, what they feel, directly to you. They talk about you when you’re on the other side of the door. I hate that! I’m not saying that everyone’s like that here, but many are. If you ask them what kind of music they listen to, most of them you probably give one of these three answers:
“Hip-hop”
“Rap”
“Well, anything really, got no favourites”

I proud to say: “The Smiths”

Anto -
atomium
Supreme

Postby WordsAsOldAsSin » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:04 am

oooh well i kind of get what you're on about, but the usual reaction i get when i say that im a smiths an is "you what?? who're they??" most people who do know of the smiths or morrisey will, like you said, that the music is depressing and that they just "moan alot" and the latest thats come about where i live is " oh you like old people music" <_< hmmmm.
but you like what you like so it doesnt really matter about the ignorant comments eh?

as for the second part of your question, i tend to have heroes that know one around here has really heard of and arent that popular, such as peter cook and otis redding.
and smiths fans get this becuase most people dont like bands or musicians that have meaning behind their songs, you'll find that not many people appriciate songs that are of the same level as smiths songs and anything that people dont understand they criticize, so there you have it :)
Last edited by WordsAsOldAsSin on Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love is Natural and Real
But not for such as you and I, my love
WordsAsOldAsSin
Supreme

Postby rubygirl » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:55 pm

[quote="atomium"]
Well, anything really, got no favouritesâ€
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby atomium » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:12 pm

rubygirl wrote:<!--quoteo(post=31176:date=Jul 12 2006, 12:38 AM:name=atomium)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(atomium @ Jul 12 2006, 12:38 AM) [snapback]31176[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Well, anything really, got no favourites”

I proud to say: “The Smiths”

Anto -

Well, at least all of us here know exactly what you mean!
But your classmates' reaction must have been really annoying - even if they didn't like it, it's not so hard to appreciate what thsi obviously means to someone else, and all the effort you've out on...but alas, don't feel bad, it's jsut the way people are - if this had ahppened in my school, it would ahve been exactly the same. usually folks here don't say anything when I say I am a Smiths fan - as they've never heard of them and don't know what to say -- but if they listed to the music, the typical things start immediately - 'what's this? it's ridiculous, it's weird, it's depressing...blah-blah'.

Lets be happy at least we have discovered their music and are able to appreciate it. :)
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes I agree. :D
atomium
Supreme

Postby elko » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:49 pm

[quote="atomium"]
Me and two class mates of mine were going to perform a small “Smiths-concertâ€
elko
Site Admin

Postby StellaMare » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:26 am

Most of my close friends like the Smiths to some extent aswell, though not as much as I do.
Other people either don't know who they are or couldn't care less.
I've never had anyone critizise me for liking them..
I've also found that liking the Smiths is great for meeting people, people tend to come up to you at times if you're wearing a badge/t-shirt or something and ask you about them.
StellaMare

Postby JaneSays » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:51 am

They're just treat like any other band really, except people seem to think The Smiths is the same thing as Morrissey...
JaneSays
Supreme

PreviousNext

Return to The Smiths