Atmosphere for Young Smiths Fans

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Black & Gold » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:20 am

Perhaps they ARE Avril Lavigne and two of her friends in disguise.
Yes, we may be hidden by rags
But we have something they'll never have
And if the people stare
Then, the people stare
Oh I really don't know
And I really don't care
Black & Gold
Regular

Postby elko » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:27 pm

I'm not sure it's possible, but if it is, they are worse than Avril Lavigne :o
Last edited by elko on Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby girl_afraid » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:30 pm

Yeah, I think they are actually worse than Avril. In some weird way, at least Avril writes (or co-writes) SOME of her own songs, but Busted don't (at least they don't look like they are remotely clever enough to write anything), and they're all snobby and up themselves too. Oh, Avril's songs are about remotely grown up subjects like break up's and stuff, but Busted write songs about crashing weddings. Damn them.

Oh, yeah, I actually really dislike Avril, so don't think I'm sticking up for her, please... <!--emo&:ph34r:-->Image<!--endemo-->
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby Black & Gold » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:10 am

Perhaps we should arrange them to meet <!--emo&:ph34r:-->Image<!--endemo--> .
Yes, we may be hidden by rags
But we have something they'll never have
And if the people stare
Then, the people stare
Oh I really don't know
And I really don't care
Black & Gold
Regular

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:20 pm

when i first got into the smiths, i was told by people who remembered them that they were misrerable and drony, and basically crap. most people my age didnt know who they were but my morrissey obsession has reached such proportions that all my friends know who he is and if he's on they'll text or phone me. all the morrissey fans i know are people who have got into him through me.

however i was in the pub once and i met a bloke with a masssive quiff and looked rather morrriseey-esque, can't remember his name now but he loved moz as much as i did and me , my best mate, and him all chatted for ages about Moz and and the smiths. this made me so happy as ive never met a proper morrissey fan before or since.
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:41 pm

I just realised that perhaps I missed out or am confused but did I just miss a debate about the relative talents of Busted and Avril Lavigne there - obviously they are both awful but I would say if I saw Avrils album goin for about £1 I might actually buy it, because she intrigues me at least she writes something close to being called angst...sometimes but Skater Boy anyone? nope, I thought not!!!

to answer the post the Smiths provoke confused glares from most of my friends and as such I am not looked down upon for liking them. My friend who is older said he didn't like them at the time because he had heard they were just miserable b*****ds but he heard them much later on the radio and was hooked. I meanwhile heard of them through him humming What difference does it make incessantly through the course of a long drive and demanded to listen to what he was singing and the rest is history...

by the way I despise Busted with a passion that encourages me to rant whenever they win awards (too numerous) or appear anywhere (see previous point) or when they are mentioned by anyone under any context - hmmm ranting id fun!! they are really full of themselves for doing very very little to think how many talented bands must be whiling their time whilst they are on Tops of the Pops - disgusting!!

Ah ramble ramble ramble. hope I made sense, not always guarnateed.
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:50 pm

Hmm, I wouldn't be paid to take an Avril Lavigne album, I'd only have to expend precious energy stamping on it and chucking it in the bin.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:58 pm

i dont really mind pop. busted, while not my cup of tea, are ok. it's all a bit of fun, isnt it? plastic, manufactured false fun, but isnt that what the music industry is about now? you cant change it, so accept it.

avril - i bought her first single but now i really think she's gone down.

mcfly make me dance like a crazy mad thing. i like 'em. theyre bright and happy. i know its not real, but i dont really care.
Last edited by Alabaster Crashes Down on Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:50 pm

Ooooh no I cannot abide by McFly at all they seem like low rent Busted rip offs and Busted are 'fun' rip offs of other bands - the exact ones who they rip off don't come readilyto mind but re McFly again it seems a cynical strike while such bands are hot attempt by the record label to me

but anyways I don't wanna trample on other peoples opinions - I'm not meaning to trust me

but you should be thrown in front of Blazing Squad for that <!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo--> I's joking!

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:05 pm

blazin squad arent that bad, but im trying not not a music elitist.

*sings five colours in her hair*
Last edited by Alabaster Crashes Down on Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:54 pm

I hate Busted AND McFly but I guess McFly have a drummer at least... God, I still detest them both, but I hate Blazin' Squad even more (that's a lot of anger right there). Kenzie's on Celebrity Big Brother, eewweehrhrg.aLKJFD

That was anger by the way...
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby reclamation » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:05 pm

I've been a Smiths fan for six years [I'm 21 now so you do the maths] & I never got that much shit for liking Moz & co, then again nobody in my school knew who they were & I was the archetypal stay-in-your-bedroom-writing-for-fear-of-being-kicked-in-by-the-local-toughs teenager, so I didn't get out much. <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo--> When I got to college I got a lot of stick for being a Smiths fan though 'cos pretty much everyone was into metal.
Last edited by reclamation on Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=1]Slytherin pride/size]
reclamation
Supreme

Postby tallulahtaurus » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:34 pm

Ah righteous anger Girl Afraid, we may have touched a nerve... <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo--> but they are another nonsense. just school kids wandering around like gangsters oh and their music is Crap too capital C!! Crossroads - a half decent song intially: the sentiments of which were made a mockery of by having it covered by a bunch of 12 year olds - it shouldn't be allowed!!! - rant, rant...

I despise Big Brother largely too, so it gives me an extra reason to avoid it, knowing that he's on there!!

Good on you Reclamation for catching on early...I wish I could claim the same my adolescence would have been so much easier!!!

tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:56 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-tallulahtaurus+Jan 9 2005, 11:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tallulahtaurus @ Jan 9 2005, 11:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Crossroads - a half decent song intially: the sentiments of which were made a mockery of by having it covered by a bunch of 12 year olds - it shouldn't be allowed!!! - rant, rant... <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Who was it by originally? I presumed it was an original.
elko
Site Admin

Postby tallulahtaurus » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:21 pm

Bone Thugs and Harmony did it originally it is quite a moving song written in response to the death of Eazy E who was a member and organiser of N.W.A.

Eazy E was responsible for so many peoples careers in the field of hip hop, Dr Dre in paticular owes him a large debt and when he died there didn't seem to be much response however Bone Thugs wrote this really quite moving song (for rap anyway which tends not to 'do' touching successfully) and Blazing Squad hijack it!! wrong I tells thee!!

tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to The Smiths