Atmosphere for Young Smiths Fans

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby elko » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:24 pm

I know of Eazy E, some NWA is pretty class - particularly Express Yourself. Ah well, another reason to hate the Blazin Squad.
elko
Site Admin

Postby tallulahtaurus » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:35 pm

Yeah thats the spirit!!!
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby reclamation » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:52 am

<!--QuoteBegin-tallulahtaurus+Jan 9 2005, 10:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tallulahtaurus @ Jan 9 2005, 10:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Good on you Reclamation for catching on early...I wish I could claim the same my adolescence would have been so much easier!!! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Hehe, thanks. I was rather strange when I was a kid; I started by listening to whatever was in the charts [as I think we all do when we're very young cos we don't know any better; it's either that or our parents' record collections. <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->] at the time, then started listening to indie [I remember the first band I was ever really into was Pulp. I was 11 at the time <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->], then I heard the Sex Pistols, loads of old punk stuff, Joy Division, Siouxsie, etc, & I was hooked. I wanted a mohawk when I was 13! <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
Then I discovered the Smiths through a friend of mine, & a six year [& still going strong] love affair was born]. Unfortunately I also did the angry mosher/metaller phase in college [I have a Slipknot logo tattoo which is a little reminder of that period] , still we all have to be hormonal & stroppy at some point. <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
[size=1]Slytherin pride/size]
reclamation
Supreme

Postby girl_afraid » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:46 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-tallulahtaurus+Jan 9 2005, 10:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tallulahtaurus @ Jan 9 2005, 10:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Good on you Reclamation for catching on early...I wish I could claim the same <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
When did you start liking them? I got into The Smiths when I was 14/15 too, so I'm v. glad. I just wish I could have been around at the time, it would have been amazing. <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo--> My attempts at getting my genius friend to build a time machine have so far been inconclusive...
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:56 pm

I only got into them about 7 months ago, my mate was humming a song incessantly and he played it for me, I took a copy of the album he had Hatful of Hollow and it took me a while to get into it and then I realised this was the best album I owned and decided to seek out all things Smiths and I haven't looked back since. So in essence I discovered one of the best things in my life at the age of 21, how blind we can be for so long...

Reclamation what you said was very true, I went the other route and mainly listened to what was in my mum's record collection, I wasn't an especially weird child but I always liked things that other people had never heard of...what a shame my mother could't have been a Smiths fan, that would have mystified the kids at my school (sighs at missed oppurtunity)

Keep cracking with the work on the time Machine Girl Afraid... <!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby reclamation » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:43 am

<!--QuoteBegin-tallulahtaurus+Jan 11 2005, 12:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tallulahtaurus @ Jan 11 2005, 12:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Reclamation what you said was very true, I went the other route and mainly listened to what was in my mum's record collection, I wasn't an especially weird child but I always liked things that other people had never heard of...what a shame my mother could't have been a Smiths fan, that would have mystified the kids at my school (sighs at missed oppurtunity) <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
I was a weird child. Well, more of a geeky child really, which is weird when you live in the north east & all your peers are pretending to smoke the wooden sticks that were used in school for counting [true story].
[size=1]Slytherin pride/size]
reclamation
Supreme

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:45 pm

wish my mum was a smiths fan - but she likes 80's soul and r'n'b. meh...

on the plus side she likes the beatles, 50's rock and roll and O.M.D...
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:14 pm

Aaah bless was talking to my ma the other day whilst we were watching the Complete Picture and she said to me how come I didn't hear of them at the time?? she was genuinely astonished because she genuinely didn't have a clue who the Smiths were, I think if she'd have known of them then she would have been into them, she loves "What difference does it make" and she has a bit of a crush on Morrissey. Aaah time machine now please... What a boon that would have been!! [sighs]

tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:56 pm

My poor mum had to get accustomed to The Smiths - being played and talked about again and again in our house... She couldn't get into them for a long time - she only liked Ask (and the video also) and used to say the other songs were depressing, gloomy, things like that. Still I consider myself quite lucky 'çause she's intrested in music in general - likes to listen and discuss it and most of my friend's parents don't care about music at all - or they only listen to what was hot when they were teenagers and asume evrything else is worthless.
Anyway, I am proud to say that with time my mother started liking The Smiths more and more. They may not be one of her favourite bands ( still she prefers Crowded House and The Beautiful South), but now she sees them in a very positive light and listens with pleasure to most of the songs from The Queeen is Dead - and I Know It's Over she truely loves! I think it was this song that really convinced her how great The Smiths are!
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:10 pm

It's nice that your mum likes listening to music, mine doesn't really like listening to it much - she owns lots of albums and stuff but she's not like me - I have to listen to music everyday in order to be happy seriously.

tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:13 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I have to listen to music everyday in order to be happy seriously. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
So do I... I can't function properly without listening to music - I study while listening to music, I work while listening to music. I used to think this is absolutely natural and that everyone is like that - it turns out they are not.
I have the feeling that after reaching a certain age most people stop taking music that seriously and it stops having noticeable impact on their lives. And that is so sad! I personaly think that music is one of the very few things in life that can always inspire you, lift you up and motivate you in positive way; and it can keep you young.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rubygirl+Jan 16 2005, 07:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rubygirl @ Jan 16 2005, 07:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I have the feeling that after reaching a certain age most people stop taking music that seriously and it stops having noticeable impact on their lives. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Oh, yes, I agree with that. Music is such an integral part of my life, it means so much to me, and yet my parents don't really seem to care about it that much, even though they used to. My parents are NOT Smiths fans, but then I haven't tried to convert them because I know my father hates almost all music I listen to (Queen being the singular exception) and my mum just doesn't see my fixation with music.
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I dunno...
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:17 pm

I didn't really have a chance to comvert my dad. I came home with The Queen Is Dead, having never heard it, and the first thing my dad did when he saw it was to launch into an off-key drunken rendition of 'Heaven Know's I'm Miserable Now' that lasted about two lines. And then when I managed to get him to listen to Hatful Of Hollow he heard the first track and sang some kind of utterly hilarious pardoy of 'William, It Was Really Nothing' involving that old kids TV chestnut 'William's Wish Wellingtons'.
Last edited by elko on Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby girl_afraid » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:34 pm

On a completely irrelevant tangent: Awww, William's Wish Wellingtons... good show.

Elko, on the plus side, at least your parents (or one of them anyway) had HEARD of The Smiths. They have now, if only due to my constant twittering on about them.

On another tangent: I made an interesting discovery the other day, an old copy of Q I stole off my friend by accident about two years ago (I was meant to be copying a picture of Dave Grohl from it for her and never gave it back or got round to doing the drawing) has a very short interview with Johnny Marr in it, one of those that comes right at the end of the magazine, on the last page. Nice surprise.

I dunno...
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:07 pm

I have that mag somewhere.
elko
Site Admin