Atmosphere for Young Smiths Fans

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby this_charming_girl » Fri May 27, 2005 6:13 pm

exactly! everyone is just happy to accept all this rubbish that the charts are feeding them and all listeing to the same pop chart stuff and i dont see how they dont want to broaden their horizons a little!

its quite annoying though because i only have like 3 friends who actually like the smiths at all so i cant share the love hehe!! <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Fri May 27, 2005 6:39 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-this_charming_girl+May 27 2005, 06:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (this_charming_girl @ May 27 2005, 06:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
its quite annoying though because i only have like 3 friends who actually like the smiths at all so i cant share the love hehe!!  <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--><!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I could say you're lucky - 'cause I only have 1 or 2 friends who are kinda "accepting" of The Smiths and I am always told to stop listening to such 'weird stuff' - of course I am always drawn to the stuff considered weird and see it as a privilege to be into something different. <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby this_charming_girl » Fri May 27, 2005 6:48 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rubygirl+May 27 2005, 06:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rubygirl @ May 27 2005, 06:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I could say you're lucky - 'cause I only have 1 or 2 friends who are kinda "accepting" of The Smiths and I am always told to stop listening to such 'weird stuff' - of course I am always drawn to the stuff considered weird and see it as a privilege to be into something different. <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
yeah its more interesting to be different! and music is so important to me that i want to try and find other things, plus 80's music rocks and how can people not love the smiths?! oh how many times ive tried to make my friends love the smiths but they just wont accept it and go back to some rubbish like lemar hehe!!
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:55 am

i do'nt get much abuse thankfully because no one my age has any idea of who they are. i do however get abuse for simply not liking the same genres of music that everyone else does.

only my dad moans at me for liking the smiths. he keeps saynig how miserable a band they are... i guess to a degree he's right regarding the lyrics, but as i pointed out 1) they're not all miserable. he's only picking on heaven knows i'm miserable now, and 2) they're played in an upbeat way!

i love them simply because they're very beautiful and poetic lyrics <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->

oh and the music rocks qutie a lot too hehe.
I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:56 am

<!--QuoteBegin-this_charming_girl+May 27 2005, 06:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (this_charming_girl @ May 27 2005, 06:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> exactly! everyone is just happy to accept all this rubbish that the charts are feeding them and all listeing to the same pop chart stuff and i dont see how they dont want to broaden their horizons a little!

its quite annoying though because i only have like 3 friends who actually like the smiths at all so i cant share the love hehe!! <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
i only have one! *tear* <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby czgibson » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:17 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-the_queen_is_dead+Jun 2 2005, 10:54 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (the_queen_is_dead @ Jun 2 2005, 10:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
only my dad moans at me for liking the smiths. he keeps saynig how miserable a band they are... i guess to a degree he's right regarding the lyrics, but as i pointed out 1) they're not all miserable. he's only picking on heaven knows i'm miserable now, and 2) they're played in an upbeat way!
<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
With Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now a lot of people don't seem to get that the lyrics are so miserable it's actually funny. Plus as queen is dead says, it's played in a very upbeat way with lush major sevenths all over the place. Does anyone actually feel miserable after listening to it? I know I don't.
czgibson

Postby rubygirl » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:55 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-czgibson+Jun 2 2005, 12:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (czgibson @ Jun 2 2005, 12:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Plus as queen is dead says, it's played in a very upbeat way with lush major sevenths all over the place. Does anyone actually feel miserable after listening to it? I know I don't.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Well, it's not one of my faves, so I don't really listen to it that often, but miserable after hearing it - never <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:54 pm

Er Heaven Knows I'm Miserable now is hysterical...and wonderfully upbeat...musically and lyrically....

like Morrissey said the immense joy that comes from saying what you feel...in clear honest upfront terms...I love the lyric "in my life why do I waste valuable time with people who don't care if I live or die...."

it was that one line that compelled me smithsward to obsession so to speak....sublime and uplifting and Johnnys music sets me beaming I hate the miserabilism tag Morrissey has made a song for every human emotion pretty much...love, lust, hate sadness. longing...

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Still, it's difficult when most people your age want to listen to monotonous, unoriginal dance music and have no idea where you're coming from with something as deep as The Smiths. That said, it's amazing when you meet other young people who are huge fans because you kind of feel that amongst all the chaos there's someone who understands a significant part of you, even if only for a fleeting moment.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like a bit of monotonous dance meself sometimes....(within reason) i enjoy all forms of music (there is art and talent in it all (sometimes) and so i despise people who are close minded and very definitley reject the smiths cos they're miserable.... or this or that - I'm gonna play my best mate them, the guy who introduced me to them is a twat and he was my only smiths friendly mate....<!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:04 pm

Even the way Morrissey sings in Heaven knows I'm miserable now isn't sad. The only miserable things about it are the title and the lyrics, which obviously don't direct the atmosphere of the song in this case. If someone who couldn't understand english heard it, I bet they would think of it as a happy song, well, not a miserable one anyway.
Last edited by The Boy with a thorn in his side on Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-czgibson+Jun 2 2005, 12:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (czgibson @ Jun 2 2005, 12:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Does anyone actually feel miserable after listening to it? I know I don't.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
i don't unless my dad comes in during and starts groaning along to the lyrics! <!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:14 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-the_queen_is_dead+Jun 4 2005, 03:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (the_queen_is_dead @ Jun 4 2005, 03:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-czgibson+Jun 2 2005, 12:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (czgibson @ Jun 2 2005, 12:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Does anyone actually feel miserable after listening to it? I know I don't.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
i don't unless my dad comes in during and starts groaning along to the lyrics! <!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Hah! My dad used to do exactly the same thing!

In fact when I bought The Queen Is Dead (before I had even heard any Smiths tracks), I asked him if he'd heard of them and he just launched into an off-key rendition of 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now'.
elko
Site Admin

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:15 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-tallulahtaurus+Jun 2 2005, 08:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tallulahtaurus @ Jun 2 2005, 08:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I love the lyric "in my life why do I waste valuable time with people who don't care if I live or die...."
<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
yeah! and i have to laugh every time he sings that simply because of the highness of the note! <!--emo&:rolleyes:-->Image<!--endemo--> and that great little tune that follows that line before it goes into the next verse ... it just sounds sarcastic and happy
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:17 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Jun 4 2005, 02:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Jun 4 2005, 02:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
Hah! My dad used to do exactly the same thing!

In fact when I bought The Queen Is Dead (before I had even heard any Smiths tracks), I asked him if he'd heard of them and he just launched into an off-key rendition of 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now'.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
fathers! who'd have 'em? <!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->

now i just push him out of the room. somehow he always manages to walk in when that track is playing.
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby The_music_is_everything » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:17 pm

generally people are either not intrested when i tell them about the smiths but they make the effort to be nice about it around me or they hate morrissy so they proceed to tell me how unbelievably boaring and pessimistic he is.
Words As Old As Sin
The_music_is_everything

Postby Miserable Liar » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:38 pm

I bet you stand up for him and tell 'em were to stick it, yes?
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to The Smiths