Atmosphere for Young Smiths Fans

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby elko » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:48 pm

:D

Well isn't that lucky! Well done on finding a fellow fan. I know a forum they might like.... ;) :P
Last edited by elko on Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:12 pm

*grin* gotcha'
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:17 am

For those who weren't around before the Smiths disbanded, how did you become a fan? I'm amazed at how many young Smiths fans there are. I was drawn to their music when all this new indie stuff was first played on radio, their sound was different from anything else at the time. They were just becoming big in America, and of course the lure only became greater after their abrupt split. How did you become attracted to their music years after their break-up, with so many new bands abound? It seems that at least with musicians, it comes from studying or listening to the music of established players from the past. And how about to the casual listener who just loves music? Some of my peers don't even know who the Smiths were! Goes to show that even friends don't always share your taste in music.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:26 pm

Well, my friend recommended them to me, and I downloaded Bigmouth and Frankly, Mr Shankly (illegal! *gasp*). Quite odd choices for a first time listener... Those would not be my first recommendations to someone now, not by a long shot. But anyway. At first I was like "Uh?", but then I listened to them more and more and they really started to grow on me. Then when I was in HMV, I saw The Queen Is Dead on sale for £5, and I thought "The Smiths, eh? Those two songs were good, and they're both on here! How convenient!". Then I listened to it (and this is probably the thing I'm most ashamed of in my entire life), but I didn't actually like it that much <!--emo&:ph34r:-->Image<!--endemo--> BUT then I listened to it again a few weeks later, and then it really hit me just how good they were. And the rest is obsessional history. <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->

Now I'm actually really glad that I started with The Queen Is Dead, and not one of the Best Of's. And it just goes to show that you can't judge a band on first impressions! I am so, SO glad that I did give them another chance, I don't even want to think what my life would be like without The Smiths.

Ironically enough, the friend who originally recommended the Smiths to me doesn't like them anymore, and I'm not actually friends with her anymore either (not because she doesn't like The Smiths, although that doesn't help).
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:13 pm

Well I had just read bits about them here and there, and picked it up in Imperial Music for a fiver. Strangely the guy at till was a Smiths nut and he then told me what I should buy. I have been in there since but have never seen him again <!--emo&:o-->Image<!--endemo-->
elko
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:18 pm

I was watching VH1, and there were people talking about Morrissey, and how sad he was, mostly mocking him, but there was a very beautiful quote about him. I went and found the Tomorrow video on Windows Media Player, and really REALLY liked it, so I bought his Best Of CD (because it had Tomorrow on it, not because it was his "best"), and thought it was great (in fact, I played it for my entire acting troupe in the dressing room *grin*). I did a bit of research and found his origin as the lead of the Smiths, found a picture of them, went to the record shop and the rest is history <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->.
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:09 am

I love the 'Tomorrow' video. It's one of my favorite Morrissey videos. I like the version where they walk the streets uninterrupted where the band is behind him, all walking nonchalantly, just following him around playing amongst themselves. Moz reminds me of his old days, hands in jeans pockets (not slacks!), head bowed down, walking without purpose like in the video 'Stop Me...', probably my favorite Smiths video. Hey, who wants to start a thread on Smiths videos? Maybe I will later.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Black & Gold » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:07 pm

I started listening to The Smiths because of my 33 years old sister, who loves them. My cousins, also on their late twenties or early thirties also like them very much. I don't know anyone my age who knows The Smiths though. I've made my girlfriends and two of my friends listen to them in three separate situations, but none seemed to like them. They said it's either too stange and depressive or pathetic <!--emo&:huh:-->Image<!--endemo--> . Oh well. I guess it has something to do with his tone or obviously the miserably sad atmosphere surrounding their songs. But none of them bullied me. My girlfriend tried to though <!--emo&:ph34r:-->Image<!--endemo--> Nowadays, thanks to Morrissey's career, the Smiths are back on the talk in some magazines and radios, but unfortunately, no one besides me seems to notice it around here <!--emo&<_<-->Image<!--endemo--> .
Yes, we may be hidden by rags
But we have something they'll never have
And if the people stare
Then, the people stare
Oh I really don't know
And I really don't care
Black & Gold
Regular

Postby unloveable » Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:23 pm

most of my friends have never heard of the smiths/morrissey, they are more intertested in Busted, usher ect
unloveable

Postby girl_afraid » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:25 pm

Busted?? Bloody hell... You should find new friends <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I dunno...
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:21 am

I don't know anyone who likes both Busted and Usher. Not that I would willingly know anyone who likes either <!--emo&B)-->Image<!--endemo-->
elko
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:27 am

Whats Busted? (besides a music creator of some sort)
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:58 am

Busted are this hideous pop group who are much liked by British Tweenagers. They think they're 'rock' because they have guitars, but they are actually just shit. I hate hate hate hate them, and all the devilspawn they have created (ie. McFly, who are actually worse than Busted).

Here is a photo of them in all their hideousness -> <a href='http://www.angelswings.de/assets/images/busted.jpg' target='_blank'>My eyes, my eyes!!</a>

I dunno...
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:46 am

<!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo--> That actually made me laugh out loud, brilliant pic.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Black & Gold » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:17 am

They look like male Avril Lavignes.
Yes, we may be hidden by rags
But we have something they'll never have
And if the people stare
Then, the people stare
Oh I really don't know
And I really don't care
Black & Gold
Regular