[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - Atmosphere for Young Smiths Fans

Atmosphere for Young Smiths Fans

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Asleep » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:23 am

Hi im quite new to the forum.i am 18.

I 1st discovered the smiths on a documentry about Man Utd it was playing heaven knows im miserable now in the background and later sweet and tender hooligan.They both sounded like nothing i had heard before,the next day i remember asking my freind whats was the name of the song?you no the one about the job,he wasnt a smiths nut he just is very knowledgable on music. I then bought the Very Best of from ebay ,and was amazed my panic as soon has i heard it.When listening to it i thought ive heard this somewere before but were?i still dont no,it was bought out 4 days before i was born. <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo--> I then bought ,the world wont listen,and rank and the smiths.I thought the worl wont listen was incredible,rank i have found hard to get into and still to don this day.And the smiths probably wasnt a good cd to buy for a unexpierenced listener. So i layed of the smiths and music in genral for a while.But boom May 22nd 04 morrisseys come back i didnt go to the gig but i new it was happening and i was intrested too see what smiths songs he would play.,suddenly without me knowing it i became fixated by this character who before i had just refered as the leader singer of the smiths who was deaf,now with the new album a special edition of q magazine about the smiths and morrissey,i became hooked back on the smiths and morrissey himself aswell as his music. Then followed my 1st ever gig at MOVE. To be honest before Morrissey, music never really appealed to me maybe because it said nothing to me about my life,it certainly does now though.I used to like crap like wham,duran,duran. Morrissey is a truly unique Person.

The More You Ignore Him the closer he gets.(FACT)
<span style='font-family:Impact'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Oh, I can't help quoting you
Because everything that you said rings true </span>
</span>
Asleep
Advanced

Postby elko » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:41 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Asleep+Apr 7 2005, 01:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Asleep @ Apr 7 2005, 01:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Hi im quite new to the forum.i am 18.

I 1st discovered the smiths on a documentry about Man Utd it was playing heaven knows im miserable now in the background and later sweet and tender hooligan.They both sounded like nothing i had heard before,the next day i remember asking my freind whats was the name of the song?you no the one about the job,he wasnt a smiths nut he just is very knowledgable on music. I then bought the Very Best of from ebay ,and was amazed my panic as soon has i heard it.When listening to it i thought ive heard this somewere before but were?i still dont no,it was bought out 4 days before i was born. <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo--> I then bought ,the world wont listen,and rank and the smiths.I thought the worl wont listen was incredible,rank i have found hard to get into and still to don this day.And the smiths probably wasnt a good cd to buy for a unexpierenced listener. So i layed of the smiths and music in genral for a while.But boom May 22nd 04 morrisseys come back i didnt go to the gig but i new it was happening and i was intrested too see what smiths songs he would play.,suddenly without me knowing it i became fixated by this character who before i had just refered as the leader singer of the smiths who was deaf,now with the new album a special edition of q magazine about the smiths and morrissey,i became hooked back on the smiths and morrissey himself aswell as his music. Then followed my 1st ever gig at MOVE. To be honest before Morrissey, music never really appealed to me maybe because it said nothing to me about my life,it certainly does now though.I used to like crap like wham,duran,duran. Morrissey is a truly unique Person.

The More You Ignore Him the closer he gets.(FACT) <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Firstly welcome to the forum.

Hope you like it here. Interesting post, I know what you mean about kind of forgetting about them - when I bought The Queen Is Dead I liked the first track but didn't really get into it. Then I bought Strangeways because it was on sale, along with a couple of albums, before I went on the world's most boring holiday, ever. That's when I really started loving the Smiths I guess, but maybe not. Anyway, enough about me...are you a Man Utd fan then?

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->the leader singer of the smiths who was deaf<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Where on earth did you get that idea from?!

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->..panic as soon has i heard it.When listening to it i thought ive heard this somewere before but were?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, as far as I'm concerned it's their most famous song, I've always been aware of it, but not im connection to the Smiths until probably a couple of years. It's still played on radio occasionally, and on TV, etc.

Where are you from btw?
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:48 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Asleep+Apr 7 2005, 01:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Asleep @ Apr 7 2005, 01:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->...So i layed of the smiths and music in genral for a while.But boom May 22nd 04 morrisseys come back i didnt go to the gig but i new it was happening and i was intrested too see what smiths songs he would play.,suddenly without me knowing it i became fixated by this character who before i had just refered as the leader singer of the smiths...

The More You Ignore Him the closer he gets.(FACT)<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Welcome to the forum, Asleep. Sounds like a rollercoaster ride, not unlike mine. The Smiths and Morrissey had always been a big part of the music I listened to, but it took on a feverish pitch when rumor of his new album was coming out. Then it coincided with Rourke and Joyce coming to my town for a DJ gig which I went to, saw Morrissey at the start of his tour, then this forum appeared seamingly on pace with everything happening. I'll be riding along in the car listening away to some Smiths song, and my husband will ask ' What are you thinking of when you hear their music?' He can tell I'm lost in my own little world sometimes. Music and for me, the Smiths, have that effect on me still.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:44 am

Yah, welcome to this forum, Asleep!
Your getting-into-The-Smiths story is a great one - to get to hear them trough a football documentary is fabulous! <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Asleep » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:59 pm

Yes i am United Supporter, I was born in Ashton Under Lyne in greater Manchester but moved to southport When i was 8,the inspiration for Every Day is like sunday which is nice for me.
<span style='font-family:Impact'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Oh, I can't help quoting you
Because everything that you said rings true </span>
</span>
Asleep
Advanced

Postby tallulahtaurus » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:42 pm

Firstly Hi Asleep and belated welcomes

I never really forgot about the smiths after me first listen but I really didn't get into them obsessively for a while

the football thingy is odd but then I've heard the smiths on you've been framed so... I still like Duran Duran actually but you're right even though I like it I know it's crap!!!

oh and i imagine the whole lead singer being deaf may be some reference to the fact that Morrissey loved the old hearing aids back in the day didn't he!!! bless as unglamourous as they come but still outstripping everyone else in the styles stakes!!
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Sun May 15, 2005 4:37 pm

When asked by most of my peers what sort of music I listen to I just mumble "errrm just some rock stuff" I am not ashamed off listening to The Smiths but I dislike heaving to explain to people who they are. Then, once they have heard a song they ask "Why do you like this? Its rubbish! Why do you like music from the eighties?" Its hardly worth explaining.
I get told occasionaly by my borderline chav brother to stop listening to music by "Shitty Eighties pop bands", or "dead people" I normally retort with "Surely a good song is a good song forever?" or the more cynical "Ok then, I'll go and listen to someone talking over a drumbeat about how many times they've been shot"
Despite all of this I have spoken to people about my love for The Smiths, and have converted people. I guess it is considered strange for someone my age to be interested in eighties band, for example The Smiths, Joy Division and The Cure, but I dont really mind being unusual, "And if the people stare then the people stare, I really don't know and I really don't care"
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Sun May 15, 2005 5:43 pm

so i've tried to post on this thread twice, and both times have timed out. that's prolly for the better as i can be lethally long-winded at times [afterall, i AM a perfessor of psychology].

great thread. welcome qvist and asleep.

so many young fans of the smiths, it's refreshing and inspiring to know that they did not truly die with my generation. i first heard them when i was around 16 or 17, circa 1982 or 1983. as i grew up in an extremely rural farming community, i wasn't popular or "in" for liking them. i remember driving by beef cattle farms with my only friend who also liked the smiths shouting about murder and such--i got pretty good at lowing like a wounded cow. farmers would only look confused and scornful. oh well.

it is great to read about the musical influences you all have had. my earliest memory is also my first musical influence; this was my mother singing along with the radio playing "hey jude". the white album came out in 1966 (i believe), which is the same year i was born into this crazy assed world.

so at one point ruby reflects upon how growing older might = no more music in one's life.
never in my life would i have imagined that i would spend time and money to procure vivaldi to the extent that i have. not just the egocentric pursuit to get 'everything he ever did', but the pursuit to find different interpretations/variations of my favorites composed by him. i think that once one is infected with music, once one finds that music feeds their own soul, one does not relinquish the divine solace of music. once a pickle, never a cucumber, yes? undoubtedly, one's tastes will change, one's preferences will change, but one's passion will not.

when i was younger, there was not a chance in hell i would have given Sufi music any chance whatsoever. now i can't live without it. i keep hoping that it will take at least two decades before i move off it. <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->

last thing: you'll get older, you'll get bored with your music. then you'll find the younger generation really grooving on what you used to adore.
uuuuhhh....that's not, like...eerrmm...why i'm here or anything, promise <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--emo&:huh:-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Sun May 15, 2005 6:25 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-tired_hedonist+Jun 9 2004, 09:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tired_hedonist @ Jun 9 2004, 09:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I'm really curious to know if teenagers get ostracized (to any degree at all) for being Smiths fans, or if nowadays it's like liking any other band. I remember after getting into The Smiths that if anyone asked me what kind of music I liked I had to take a deep breath and prepare myself for sh*t before answering. Curiously it never occurred to me to lie--I guess I was proud of my taste. I remember things like being at a party once when I was in my 20s and a fellow Smiths fan, in fact a Morrissey look-alike, suggested that we should convince our friend the hostess to play some Smiths, and she moaned and groaned about what a moaner and groaner Morrissey is until we had to shut it off and listen to more "tasteful" crap like Billie Holliday (nothing on earth against Billie Holliday, but she's been co-opted by college students as a safe and generic choice). Part 2 of question: do you find a lot of your heroes are like this? (I'll even stick up for Enimen--though I wouldn't call him a hero of mine--because he's capable of writing amazing lyrics.) And Part 3: Why do you think Smiths fans get this kind of crap?

Answer all or any of above and I will read with fascination! <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
People see depressive music as depressing, others can understand it.
People are too cautious nowadays thinking they're not "hip" or "cool" to listen to stuff they may really want to listen to which really ticks me off.
My friend, I asked him to listen to "I know its over" because he was really upset and the way he sees it, it will make him feel worse which is stupid because its very uplifting to know that someone may have went through the same time as you, Morrissey may not have went through that, but thats not the issue.
For there to be light, darkness must be there to be lit (thats the way I see it).
If someone asks me wht i'm listening to, I will tell them, without a fucking doubt i'll tell them, I mean, why not?
If i'm not accepted for it, fine, im unacceptable, only to them though, not to another fan of the same music as I am.
If people didn't set standards for acceptablity, everyone would be accepted, but is that what we really want? people unable to voice their on opinions in fear of unacceptance?
Of course not, no fucking way!
My friend, same one as before, hes a goth. He is upset that he is not accepted but he has to realise he is different, he may or may not have the same opinions as other people so he has to expect some criticism from it.
Can't handle it, go with the flow!

I like The Smiths, I like Morrissey, I love them actually, theyre a touch of bloody class, i sing to their songs, I drum along with them, I listen to them all of the time, I find morrissey both funny, romantic, sad, depressive, uplifting all at once sometimes and if someone doesn't like it thats fine, f**k em'.
I am what I am, I can only be who I am and no-one else.
Throw stones at me, kick me in the knees, I still have my opinions, even if you cut off my head, they still are the same, no-one can change that.
I may be getting carried away but the way I see it, if we were all the same things would be boring and we'd all be vegetables following the same line, striking the same chords, walking the same steps etc.
But all are different, all are great!

Thats just the way I see it, don't like it, ok i'll change!
Last edited by Miserable Liar on Sun May 15, 2005 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Wed May 18, 2005 10:51 am

wish people would stop telling me to shut up about morrissey. There's another forum i go on, its really cool but they dedicate entire threads to taking the piss out of morrissey specifically to annoy me.
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Wed May 18, 2005 3:44 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Alabaster Crashes Down+May 18 2005, 10:50 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alabaster Crashes Down @ May 18 2005, 10:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->wish people would stop telling me to shut up about morrissey. There's another forum i go on, its really cool but they dedicate entire threads to taking the piss out of morrissey specifically to annoy me.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
How cliched and infantile! If they have a problem with you not shutting up about Morrissey, it's their problem and not yours! After all, isn't the idea of such forums that people can discuss what they are passionate about?
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Wed May 18, 2005 8:52 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-chicken+May 15 2005, 05:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chicken @ May 15 2005, 05:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
so at one point ruby reflects upon how growing older might = no more music in one's life. 
never in my life would i have imagined that i would spend time and money to procure vivaldi to the extent that i have.  not just the egocentric pursuit to get 'everything he ever did', but the pursuit to find different interpretations/variations of my favorites composed by him.  i think that once one is infected with music, once one finds that music feeds their own soul, one does not relinquish the divine solace of music.  once a pickle, never a cucumber, yes?  undoubtedly, one's tastes will change, one's preferences will change, but one's passion will not.

<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Well, that's what I think too - but I am not sure it's the mass perception of things. I cannot imagine my life without music - not even a day and with age my passion seems to grow and deepen - probably with the broadening of my tastes. But not so with the majority of people I know - I am noticing that I am spending considerably less time discussiong music with my friends and it's not because of me. At some point many start thinking music is just entertainment, something secondary to life - and even that it is a distraction in a way: "There are so many important things ahead of me, i don't have time for this...". Not that they listen to music or don't care for it - but to a much lesser degree than before.
The passing of time and its sickening crimes...
It's making me sad again
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Wed May 18, 2005 9:37 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->wish people would stop telling me to shut up about morrissey. There's another forum i go on, its really cool but they dedicate entire threads to taking the piss out of morrissey specifically to annoy me. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

God people are twats...what wastes of space people are...I'm lucky cos thankfully my mum is so indulgent of me...I ramble on to her about the smiths every hour god sends...and she at least feigns interest, my friends seem to be taking the light hearted approach because none of them know who te smiths are so they cannot criticise...

My bro and I argue at times but generally he respects the smiths evenif he doesn't like them...I mean how could you not respect Morrissey at least...name me a writer who writes about the things he does...in the uplifting air that he does??? people are twats, they make me angry <!--emo&:angry:-->Image<!--endemo-->
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mrs Shankly » Fri May 27, 2005 12:06 am

I didn't realise how much a part of me The Smiths and Morrissey were until I came to uni really. After the first term in shared accommodation I was referred to as "The Morrissey Girl" and have had people say that whenever they walk past my room that's all I'm ever listening to (not entirely true...). I think a lot of people my age find it difficult to relate to my passion for The Smiths because they feel so far removed from the music, but I think that just as The Smiths are timeless, so there should be no age barriers on liking them.

Still, it's difficult when most people your age want to listen to monotonous, unoriginal dance music and have no idea where you're coming from with something as deep as The Smiths. That said, it's amazing when you meet other young people who are huge fans because you kind of feel that amongst all the chaos there's someone who understands a significant part of you, even if only for a fleeting moment. <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
And if you have five seconds to spare, then I'll tell you the story of my life
Mrs Shankly

Postby Jeannie » Fri May 27, 2005 1:26 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Mrs Shankly+May 27 2005, 12:05 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mrs Shankly @ May 27 2005, 12:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Still, it's difficult when most people your age want to listen to monotonous, unoriginal dance music and have no idea where you're coming from with something as deep as The Smiths. That said, it's amazing when you meet other young people who are huge fans because you kind of feel that amongst all the chaos there's someone who understands a significant part of you, even if only for a fleeting moment.  <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--><!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I know how you feel. I'm 15. Though nobody told me that I was stupid, laughed at my face or something like that, I can feel something. I mean, you don't need people to do that to realize things. Not that they won't like me anymore, they understand, but it makes me feel a bit sad that some teenagers don't have any curiosity at all. But anyway, I have some great friends and we share the same interests and I'm very proud of being a Smiths fan.
Jeannie

PreviousNext

Return to The Smiths