Boxset

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby elko » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:49 pm

I've heard from a couple of people that there will be a Smiths boxset soon enough, so of course we must have a thread for it.

So:

What would you like to see on it?

What do you think will be on there?

And, will you buy it even if there's nothing new?
elko
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:02 pm

I'm not sure what will be on it. I hope more obscure songs will be on it. I hope "How Soon is Now" is not on it because I think that song is so hackneyed. I will certainly buy it because the many times that I go to record stores and browse through the Smiths section I always hope to see a Smiths album that I don't have.

This should be cool. Elko, how'd you hear about it?
Dave
Advanced

Postby HadjiQuest » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:16 am

I'd imagine it'd be everything.

I'll buy it anyway; my entire discography is pirated and I feel like an ass for that. I just hope it's not as over-priced as the albums can be. Hopefully $60-$70 at most for around 70 songs.
HadjiQuest
Supreme

Postby Still Ill » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:32 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Dave+Sep 28 2005, 12:02 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dave @ Sep 28 2005, 12:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'm not sure what will be on it. I hope more obscure songs will be on it. I hope "How Soon is Now" is not on it because I think that song is so hackneyed. I will certainly buy it because the many times that I go to record stores and browse through the Smiths section I always hope to see a Smiths album that I don't have.

This should be cool. Elko, how'd you hear about it?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Dave, the info filtered over here via m-solo. It's supposed to come out sometime next year.

-It'll probably have everything ever released.
-What I'm really hoping for is an extensive booklet with wonderful liner notes and nice photos, of course. And the rumoured recordings in Mike's posession, though that's a stretch...
-Of course I'll buy it, and it would be the first boxset I own. Plus boxsets are just plain beautiful.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boywiththethorninhisside » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:32 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Sep 27 2005, 09:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Sep 27 2005, 09:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I've heard from a couple of people that there will be a Smiths boxset soon enough, so of course we must have a thread for it.

So:

What would you like to see on it?

And, will you buy it even if there's nothing new? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yet another Smiths compilation?

Apart from their ordinary packaging, the Best Of..., Louder Than Bombs, The World Won't Listen and another one I've forgotten the name of have most of the tracks I'd expect of a boxed set.

What I'd like, on the other hand...well, every song they ever recorded. That includes stuff where more than one studio version exists, e.g. Reel Around The Fountain, Back To The Old House, and also a live version of every possible song (I like comparing studio and live versions, especially bearing in mind how much work Johnny put into layering guitars in the studio vs playing as a live four-piece band). Some studio outtakes, instrumental versions, rehearsal excerpts if they exist, would all be interesting for me as a musician, though I understand they might bore others.

If it has nothing new, I won't bother buying it. As per my comments above, if they're going to bother releasing another collection, they might as well go the whole way and chuck absolutely EVERYTHING in, and make it the ultimate.

Edit: Oh, and a really extensive booklet too, as mentioned above. How could I forget that?
Last edited by Boywiththethorninhisside on Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->www.myspace.com/gesekki<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
Boywiththethorninhisside
Regular

Postby Grim O'Grady » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:11 pm

If there is going to be a BOXSET then it had better not just be another re-hash of greatest hits compilations, I mean WEA have already done that to death anyway. A proper boxset should be full of weird & wonderful stuff, I'd like to see/hear the stuff that Johnny must have stashed away somewhere as with the stuff that Joycey has that was mentioned in 'Songs That Saved Your Life' book. Infact a boxset off everything that wasn't commercially released would make my day.

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby WordsAsOldAsSin » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:32 pm

id love for a boxset to come out! it would be great ,if it had all the same songs that i already have then i wouldnt buy it agian cos ive already spent waaaaaaaay too much money on albums! but if it does have different stuff on it then sure ill buy it!
Love is Natural and Real
But not for such as you and I, my love
WordsAsOldAsSin
Supreme

Postby elko » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:44 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Sep 27 2005, 10:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Sep 27 2005, 10:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What would you like to see on it?

And, will you buy it even if there's nothing new?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'd like to see anything that hasn't been released before. Even if it's just alternate takes, demoes, rare (soundboard) live stuff.

I suspect it will be an extended greatest hits, plus a couple of the tracks that never made it to CD (Jeane, Work Is A Four Lette Word, etc.).

And of course, of course, I will still buy it.
elko
Site Admin

Postby chicken » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:59 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Edit: Oh, and a really extensive booklet too, as mentioned above. How could I forget that? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--> glad you didn't, because i would not have thought of it. yes indeed, a booklet should be included.

i'd like to see the rare stuff. alternative takes, be it studio or recorded in a garage (of which the latter would be my preference). live recordings? well....i'm rarely a fan of live recordings because to me they are usually "you had to be there" in nature. though that would not preclude my buying it.

i'll buy it as long as it is not YET ANOTHER greatest hits gig, is not outrageously priced, and has stuff i've never heard.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby WordsAsOldAsSin » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:48 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-chicken+Sep 30 2005, 11:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chicken @ Sep 30 2005, 11:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> [QUOTE]i'll buy it as long as it is not YET ANOTHER greatest hits gig, is not outrageously priced, and has stuff i've never heard. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
now that youve said that , you just know it will be like that <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
Love is Natural and Real
But not for such as you and I, my love
WordsAsOldAsSin
Supreme

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:48 pm

Lots of rare unreleased songs, or whats the point?
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby Dave » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:24 pm

I hope this box set comes out. My CD case holding my whole Smiths/Morrissey collection was stollen a couple days ago. <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo--> It stinks because the person who ganked my CD case probably doesn't like the Smiths and will throw the CDs out.

Or perhaps he/she will listen to the CDs and become a fan and realize that stealing is is a horrid act and will return my CDs to me and we would become new Smiths buddies.

But most likely not.
Dave
Advanced

Postby elko » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:58 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Dave+Oct 20 2005, 10:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dave @ Oct 20 2005, 10:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I hope this box set comes out. My CD case holding my whole Smiths/Morrissey collection was stollen a couple days ago. <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo--> It stinks because the person who ganked my CD case probably doesn't like the Smiths and will throw the CDs out.

Or perhaps he/she will listen to the CDs and become a fan and realize that stealing is is a horrid act and will return my CDs to me and we would become new Smiths buddies.

But most likely not. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Ohhh no, that's awful! Sorry to hear that, and though the latter option does seem a mite improbable, I hope it happens!

I hope the thief stole some rubbish CDs as well!
elko
Site Admin

Postby Grim O'Grady » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:33 pm

Yep Dave, sorry to hear that, I'd be gutted if some scroat did a runner with my cd's etc. If you like I could burn you copies of what Smiths/Morrissey cd's you've had nicked until you can replace them. Let me know if you want me to sort it.

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Disused Railway Line » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:02 pm

Definitely unreleased stuff would be the only possible reason for releasing a boxed set (apart from the usual dollar considerations), surely all the usual stuff has been done to death. It would be great if there were reels of tapes containing stuff nobody had a clue about, all dressed up with lavish booklets and packaging.

There's been lots of comment from the Dylan community about how slowly the unreleased stuff leaks out, so that in a couple of cases collectors have actually died before stuff has been released into the mainstream. Admittedly in Dylan's case it's now over 40 years down the line but it is frustrating when stuff is out there but nobody is allowed to hear it. There must be outtakes and alternate versions of songs sitting in somebodys attic somewhere, hopefully new stuff as well.

Sorry to hear about your loss as well Dave, hope they get what they deserve.
Disused Railway Line

Next

Return to The Smiths