[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - does age matter?

does age matter?

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby rEEdy^^ » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:57 am

right, i am 16 years of age and i am obsessed with the smiths. All of my friends at my college say that i have a really unusual taste in music (not a bad thing) just because i dont listen to all the r'n'b chav music.

Is it just them having nmo taste in music or am i a bit out of date and sad? should i be listening to all this chav hip hop crap?
rEEdy^^
Supreme

Postby Grim O'Grady » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:32 am

they are the sheep you are the individual, I think you've chosen the right way to go. Let them have their sheep pen, you be a free thinker, life will try to make you conform to 'the norms' but you are choosing your own path, it will run its course sometimes with the wind but more often against it.
Welcome to life as a Smiths fan.
& always remember, you are not on your own.
We are here all in it together.

love

Grim

*edited by the English teacher*
Last edited by Grim O'Grady on Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby WordsAsOldAsSin » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:35 am

oh i think you know the answer to this one.

if you do listen to this RnB and "chav" music then youll become just like them and youll talk just like them and pretty soon you will be them.
the moral of this story kids is be who you want to be, like what you want to like, it doesnt matter what other people think if it did then all the world would be exaclty the same, so take my advice and like what you want to like.

people call my music taste strange all the time i like 40s/50/60s/80s music and i get alot of grief about it but you to be honest, it doenst bother me and it shouldnt bother you ok?

xx
Love is Natural and Real
But not for such as you and I, my love
WordsAsOldAsSin
Supreme

Postby rubygirl » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:28 am

<!--QuoteBegin-rEEdy^^+Oct 12 2005, 09:57 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rEEdy^^ @ Oct 12 2005, 09:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->right, i am 16 years of age and i am obsessed with the smiths. All of my friends at my college say that i have a really unusual taste in music (not a bad thing) just because i dont listen to all the r'n'b chav music.

Is it just them having nmo taste in music or am i a bit out of date and sad? should i be listening to all this chav hip hop crap?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I also think you already know the answer - after all, you've called the music your peers listen to 'crap'. <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo--> Obviously it's not what suits you.
I was 16 myself when I started listening to The Smiths, and no-one around me had ever heard of them. I don't mind people listening to whatever they want to,even if I find it repulsive, but only in case they really appreciate it and 'it says something about their lives' <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo--> , but I get annoyed with people blindly following 'trends', 'fashions', 'latest hits' and the like, as it seems like you have no personality/opinions/positions yourself and have to borrow someone else's.
With The Smiths this could never happen <!--emo&:B-->Image<!--endemo-->
Last edited by rubygirl on Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby rEEdy^^ » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:20 pm

WOW! the words of wisdom from you guys. Im glad i have my own taste in music, keeps me individual and unique from everyone else.
rEEdy^^
Supreme

Postby scavenger » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:02 pm

Grim's right - they are the sheep! Never go with what everyone else is doing just because they're blind and think everyone should be like them. I’m 16 myself and I don’t even know another person who has even heard of the Smiths. Noone else I know listens to indie or is really even into the same stuff as me, but I don’t care. I love my individuality and uniqueness and you should too! <!--emo&B)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Oh, but don't mention love
I'd hate the pain of the strain all over again
A rush and a push and the land that
We stand on is ours
It has been before
So why can't it be now?
And people who are weaker than you or I
They take what they want from life
scavenger
Supreme

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:19 pm

All the smiths fans I know are fans cause I made them like that. Except two, and one is scared of me.
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby this_charming_girl » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:56 pm

hmm i think that generally, people who just listen to whatever is on the radio at the time obviously cant be into music that much. to be into music you have to want to find new stuff and look at older bands or random bands just because you have an interest in quality music,which is not generally speaking found in the charts today. as i would say music is a passion and great interest of mine and probably most of yours too and so obviously we are looking for other things and not just accepting the shit on the radio's!

so, the point is that if u want to just listen to the crap on of today and are happy with that then thats fine, but if you like good music then why shoudnt you listen to it?! <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:09 pm

whoa.....i open the thread, see when it was started (today, for me), and think to myself: aha!! and here, unto thee, i can spill pearls of wisdom!!!

appears as though, in this context, i'm a sheep who says that everyone else here is right. how confusing...

"who looks outside, dreams.
who looks inside, awakens." -carl jung

when you follow your own ear, you are being genuine. and that's the best place to be.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby scavenger » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:43 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-chicken+Oct 12 2005, 06:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chicken @ Oct 12 2005, 06:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->"who looks outside, dreams.
who looks inside, awakens."  -carl jung
<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Beautiful.
We stand on is ours
It has been before
So why can't it be now?
scavenger
Supreme

Postby chicken » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:26 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-scavenger+Oct 12 2005, 10:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (scavenger @ Oct 12 2005, 10:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-chicken+Oct 12 2005, 06:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chicken @ Oct 12 2005, 06:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->"who looks outside, dreams.
who looks inside, awakens."  -carl jung
<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Beautiful. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
most assuredly, agreed.

he also said: show me a sane man and i'll cure him for you.

i've found that a person's response to that statement is a bold statement of themselves more than anything else. think about it. jung is one of my true heros. <!--emo&:rolleyes:-->Image<!--endemo-->
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Perfect Drug » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:45 am

Yes, You Should listen to it. Now go and buy 50cent albums.

I can't believe you asked a question like that. <!--emo&:huh:-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--emo&:rolleyes:-->Image<!--endemo-->
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>At all events when, after many hours, the door was opened and people thronged in, they found the murderer unconscious and in a raging fever. The prince was sitting by him, motionless, and each time that the sick man gave a laugh, or a shout, he hastened to pass his own trembling hand over his companion's hair and cheeks, as though trying to soothe and quiet him. But alas he understood nothing of what was said to him, and recognized none of those who surrounded him.</span>
Perfect Drug
Supreme

Postby Miserable Liar » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:42 am

<!--QuoteBegin-rEEdy^^+Oct 12 2005, 09:57 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rEEdy^^ @ Oct 12 2005, 09:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> right, i am 16 years of age and i am obsessed with the smiths. All of my friends at my college say that i have a really unusual taste in music (not a bad thing) just because i dont listen to all the r'n'b chav music.

Is it just them having nmo taste in music or am i a bit out of date and sad? should i be listening to all this chav hip hop crap? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You don't have unusual taste at all, ask them to define unusual, i'd love to hear their response (possibly something along the lines of "you don't like Britney Spears or Nelly, so you're obviously gay (by the way chicken if you read this, "gay" is a typical english insult, not that it means you're calling someone homosexual and them being a bad person for it, don't ask me why this happens :s)").
Mate, you listen to what you want to listen to and love it because you are.

P.S. I am in the school library, must dash, i'm scared of the librarian! haha (no, seriously, she is a stereotypical librarian "A silent library is a pleasant library").
Last edited by Miserable Liar on Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby scavenger » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:57 pm

haha, the librarians in my school are the same. they're the oldest, most uptight nuns in the world.
We stand on is ours
It has been before
So why can't it be now?
scavenger
Supreme

Postby helmoz » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:03 pm

great quote <!--emo&:B-->Image<!--endemo-->
nothing wrong with liking the smiths at 16, miles better than chav music! im 18 and most ppl at school were into chav music but then i got to uni and ive met other smiths fans my age, which is cool. one of them lives in the room opposite me and i really fancy him. <!--emo&:music:-->Image<!--endemo-->

helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to The Smiths