does age matter?

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby WordsAsOldAsSin » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:32 am

ooh i hope you'll stay a while <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo--> new members are always welcome!
Love is Natural and Real
But not for such as you and I, my love
WordsAsOldAsSin
Supreme

Postby sonandheir » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:58 pm

I'm 16 and I love The Smiths! I enjoy writing poetry and was drawn to Morrissey's lyrics (especially "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" and "I Know It's Over") <!--emo&^_^-->Image<!--endemo-->
<span style='color:blue'>"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi</span>
sonandheir
Supreme

Postby elko » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:03 pm

Nice one.

Welcome to the forum, and do introduce yourself <a href='http://bristolforum.co.uk/smith/index.php?showtopic=32' target='_blank'>here</a> if you get a minute.
elko
Site Admin

Postby rubygirl » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:22 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Hang_The_DJ+Nov 7 2005, 05:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hang_The_DJ @ Nov 7 2005, 05:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I'm 16 and I love The Smiths! I enjoy writing poetry and was drawn to Morrissey's lyrics (especially "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" and "I Know It's Over") <!--emo&^_^-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Indeed, welcome here and do tell us more about yourself. If you'd like, naturally.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Des » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:14 pm

what is age, its only a shell, does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body, who sang that <!--emo&:rolleyes:-->Image<!--endemo--> . If there were limitations as to what you can listen to at certain ages I wouldnt like GreenDay <!--emo&:B-->Image<!--endemo-->
Des
Advanced

Postby chicken » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:17 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Des+Nov 7 2005, 09:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Des @ Nov 7 2005, 09:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> what is age, its only a shell, does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body, who sang that <!--emo&:rolleyes:-->Image<!--endemo--> . If there were limitations as to what you can listen to at certain ages I wouldnt like GreenDay <!--emo&:B-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
xactly.

and babies wouldn't like mozart. i mean, seriously, if we put some weird age rule on things where young people can't like old stuff, that would necessarily imply that babies would only like the newest of the newest.

but babies and green day,....hhhmmm.... <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:00 pm

i liked mozart when i was a baby (and i still do)! its stupid how some people seem to think certain music is for certain age groups (e.g. kids are only allowed pop fluff and cant have proper music til theyre grown up, middle aged people have to buy the sort of records u get in supermarkets, old people cant like modern music, etc.), im glad theres none of those prejudices on this board. we have quite a range of ages here <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby fizzylockets » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:51 pm

the smiths are awesome who likes chav garbage
fizzylockets

Postby chicken » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:04 am

<!--QuoteBegin-helmoz+Nov 8 2005, 09:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (helmoz @ Nov 8 2005, 09:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> i liked mozart when i was a baby (and i still do)! its stupid how some people seem to think certain music is for certain age groups (e.g. kids are only allowed pop fluff and cant have proper music til theyre grown up, middle aged people have to buy the sort of records u get in supermarkets, old people cant like modern music, etc.), im glad theres none of those prejudices on this board. we have quite a range of ages here <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
bravo. 100% agree.

the very first conscious memory i have of any music is the beatles. particularly, hey jude. i remember my mother singing along with it on the radio. it came out in 1969 (i think), i did in 1966. <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->

i also think another advantage to this board (other than the age range) is the meager sampling of cultures/nations we have, too.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:08 pm

Age is such a relative concept - and music is eternal.... <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:43 pm

I would have hated the Smiths at fourteen. I'm glad I got into them at the time I was ready for them - 17. I'm 20 now.
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby rEEdy^^ » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:36 pm

I grew up listening to the Smiths, but then i started really apreciating their music when i was about 15 0r 16, all thanks to my parents! the good thing about this is my dad owned every Smiths vinyl out and so they got passed down to me!

I have a lot I owe to the smiths, especially when it comes to my love life, the reason why me and my ex girlfriend got together was because of the Smiths, and songs such as 'there is a light....' and 'I know its over' really meant something to me *sighs*
Also when i am going through hard times, theres nothing like lying on my bed with the Smiths playing in the background, ironically it really cheers me up (hence the depressing nature of most songs)

i dont think i will ever forget the smiths and will always be the best band i have ever heard..EVER!
rEEdy^^
Supreme

Postby madmancmonkey » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:28 am

of course it doesnt matter! My brother and his perrochial musings, he claims that because I am 18 then the only music I should be lsitening to is dance and I should be 55 to listen to the smiths! Oh well hell never learn <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:47 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-sweetandtenderhooligan+Dec 22 2005, 11:28 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sweetandtenderhooligan @ Dec 22 2005, 11:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> because I am 18 then the only music I should be lsitening to is dance and I should be 55 to listen to the smiths! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
But this is simply ridiculous! <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
Why would anyone restrict themselves in such a crude way!
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Previous

Return to The Smiths