Favourite Album

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Still Ill » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:22 pm

There's another poll on Moz-solo regarding the best album on both The Smiths and Morrissey. It's drawing a lot of discussion and I've posted a link to the site. I've also invited Moz-solo guests to visit on another spot on the site as well as the general forum. Let's hope we get some interested posters.

Welcome chrisarclark, I've seen your name around on Moz-solo and I think Moz' main forum! Maybe somewhere else also, can't remember! Spread the wordl!
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:32 pm

God, that was a hard question to answer... I had to be predictable and go for The Queen Is Dead. I wouldn't go for Meat Is Muder (even though Rusholme Ruffians, The Headmaster Ritual and Nowhere Fast are again some of my favourite Smiths songs), but I love the other three so much! I know quite a lot of people don't like the first one, but I love the rawness of it, and some of my favourite ever Smiths song are on it (This Charming Man, Reel..., The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, Pretty Girls..., Still Ill), and Strangeways has one of the most beautiful songs ever (namely I Won't Share You), but then it also has Death At One's Elbow. Although it DOES have Stop Me and A Rush And A Push... Oof, so hard to choose!

So while I love all the albums so much it hurts, The Queen Is Dead just shows Morrissey and Marr at their songwriting peak, I think.

Heh, amusing quote from Q the other day: "I once wrote this beautiful, lilting guitar tune, only to have it come back called Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" - Johnny Marr. <!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo--> Love that quote... Classic Smiths <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo--> *hugs albums*
Last edited by girl_afraid on Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:31 am

Today I still rate Meat is Murder at the top. (I did listen to 'Rusholme Ruffians' and 'Nowhere Fast' on my mp3 player while on a run today!) Oh these polls! (JOKE) It's NEVER an easy decision, but it does create discussion as the poll on Morrissey-solo is clearly showing.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Black & Gold » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:39 pm

Well, The Queen Is Dead is my favourite one, definitely. I keep listening to it. Strangeways is my second.
Yes, we may be hidden by rags
But we have something they'll never have
And if the people stare
Then, the people stare
Oh I really don't know
And I really don't care
Black & Gold
Regular

Postby patrick » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:14 am

It has to be Strangeways.Although a difficult choice to make.
patrick

Postby elko » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:22 pm

Good choice- not that there are really any bad choices...

Welcome to the forum, do tell us a bit about yourself (if you like).
Last edited by elko on Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby patrick » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:01 pm

Hi Elko,

I found out about this forum on Morrissey-solo.
I live in Blankenberge at the Belgian coast. I first saw The Smiths on totp performing This charming man. That was the beginning of my Smiths/MOz addiction.
I'm 41y old but still very loyal to Morrissey.
I never saw The Smiths live but Morrissey I've seen about 10 times now.
THe last shows I attended were at Meltdown 25/26th.
Unfortunatelly I can't make it to any of the other shows this year, not even Paris.

Cheers
patrick

Postby girl_afraid » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:45 pm

Hey Patrick, welcome to the forum <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->

Yeah, nice album choice, Strangeways is an amazing album (although they all are...!)

It's really cool that you've been a Smiths/Morrissey fan almost right from the start, I would have loved to have been around then...
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby patrick » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:05 pm

Thanks for the nice comments. I will try and visit regulaly.
patrick

Postby tallulahtaurus » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:25 pm

Thanks for sharing the quote Girl Afraid, made me <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo--> I always thought that Some Girls was a bit of a lyric/music split there though I love it all the same.

I chose Meat is Murder because it is in my eyes pure unrivalled excellence, Well I wonder, the headmaster's ritual, I want the one I can't have, Babarism begins at home, Rusholme, That joke isn't funny anymore. (paticularly the last) all just heart stoppingly stunningly gorgeous although I would have to say that The Smiths was running it a close second, I think that's underapprecaited as an album it's got some gems This Charming Man, Still Ill, Miserable Lie, I don't Owe you anything is great too..!!

Interesting to see the popularity of The Queen is Dead both critically and clearly amongst the fans because that didn't really do much for me apart from Bigmouth and Some Girls, although I thought Strangeways was worse...barring Unhappy Birthday and Stop Me (my own personal opinion).

I guess our tastes are all very different which is wonderful because clearly the Smiths cater for all.

God they were so great!!
Last edited by tallulahtaurus on Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:07 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->God they were so great!! <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed...
I can't say which albums is my favourite - I love the all in a different way; guess it depends on my mood actually. I mean, these days I am listening mostly to Meat Is Murder, but only in a short time I'll start missing The Queen Is Dead and to "rediscover" it for the nth time...
And I am sure I'll love Strangeways - when I hear it.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby patrick » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:50 pm

Today I choose Strangeways. It may change tomorrow.
patrick

Postby fifteen_minutes » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:02 am

This is near impossible but I always end up going with Meat Is Murder.
The imagery of sex, violence, longing, lust, love..it's all there.
I could articulate further but it's 1am and well..
Oh plus it's a very personal album to me, a lot of emotional ties I won't bore you with so for purely selfish reasons it's my pick.
fifteen_minutes

Postby billy » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:14 pm

i voted for TQID but now wish i had not!, cos the smiths is doing so badly and i LOVE that album.... seems so unfair i want to cry.
"i dreamt about you last night and i fell out of bed twice"
billy

Postby Sweet and Tender Hooligan » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:37 pm

voted
I'm spellbound, but a woman divides
And the hills are alive with celibate cries
Sweet and Tender Hooligan
Supreme

PreviousNext

Return to The Smiths