Smiths Landmarks

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Chorlton_Ruffian » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:20 am

Here are a few photos I've taken around Manchester of buildings/places related to the Smiths. I'll add more photos as time goes on. <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->

Some of the info is from the 'Morrisseys Manchester' book.

First off, the Star and Garter pub opposite Piccadilly Station, home of 'Smiths Nights' every month. Can't say I've ever been to one though. Behind is the derelict Mayfield Train station which closed in the 60s.

This is 70 Portland Street in the very centre of Manc. In 1982 the Smiths first manager Joe Moss owned a clothes shop in this building, and leant the young band a room to rehearse in - rumour has it many of the tracks from the debut album were written here.

A 13 storey apartment block, the Hacienda, stands on the site of the famous club owned by Tony Wilson and New Order. The Smiths played here 3 times - all in 1983. The club closed down after drugs problems in 1997 and was demolished in 2002.

<a href='http://www.aidan.co.uk/lg/ManHac99pan.jpg' target='_blank'>The Original Hacienda</a>

Further up Whitworth Street, just down from the Hacienda, is the Ritz club - where the Smiths played their first gig on October 4th 1982, with Dale Hibbert on bass.

Looking down Oxford Road we see the large white building St James House. The Smiths played their 4th gig here on Feb 21st 1983. In the far distance you can make out the tower of the Holy Name Church.

The house on the right of this average semi-detached is 384 Kings Road, Morrisseys home from 1969-1983. It was this house that a 19 year old Johnny Maher knocked onto in 1982, you know the rest!

Not that much of a connection here but I've already started typing it now. The Smiths Arms pub in boarded up and derelict, in the inner city district of Ancoats (of Ann Coates fame)

Self explanatory
<div align="center">Image</div>
<div align="center"><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->"I would rather eat my own testicles than reform The Smiths, and that's saying something for a vegetarian."<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
Chorlton_Ruffian
Supreme

Postby elko » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:52 am

Cheers Chris, great post. (it was Chris, no?)

You're so lucky to live amongst such prestigious musical heritage (second only to Liverpool, of course, in terms of Great British music). Looking forward to seeing more- do you have an interest in photography(?)- they are such cool pictures.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:35 am

Thanks for taking the time to put up the pictures and commentary! I love that they're mostly ordinary pictures. My favorite is the shot of the street where Moss' shop once was.
How about the old iron bridge? <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> (although aren't those bridges common throughout? <!--emo&:blink:-->Image<!--endemo--> )
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:35 am

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Dec 10 2005, 12:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Dec 10 2005, 12:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Cheers Chris, great post. (it was Chris, no?)

You're so lucky to live amongst such prestigious musical heritage (second only to Liverpool, of course, in terms of Great British music). Looking forward to seeing more- do you have an interest in photography(?)- they are such cool pictures.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I absolutely second that!
It must be fabulous to live among those 'landmarks', as you've called them, and they truely are landmarks!
And the pictures are of great quality indeed, <!--emo&:B-->Image<!--endemo-->
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:35 pm

Oh, I just loved those pictures, I want to live there!
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:43 pm

excellent pics C.R. you really ought to go to the SnG though on the Smiths night of course. We've got some pics of the inside to show what it's like <a href='http://photobucket.com/albums/y37/stargarter/' target='_blank'>in here somewhere</a>
you'll have to go a couple of pages back.

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:08 am

wow.
what everyone above said.
very well done.
thanks.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:55 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Grim O'Grady+Dec 12 2005, 03:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Grim O'Grady @ Dec 12 2005, 03:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->excellent pics C.R. you really ought to go to the SnG though on the Smiths night of course. We've got some pics of the inside to show what it's like <a href='http://photobucket.com/albums/y37/stargarter/' target='_blank'>in here somewhere</a>
you'll have to go a couple of pages back.

love

Grim<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
It was fun to taking peek into your life as well. Err, some very interesting pictures. I actually recognize a guy from the last photo who was at the same Morrissey concert I was at in Anaheim.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:29 am

whoops I've just gone through the pics, I've deleted one of Shuggy that we mocked up but left the rest. hee-hee.
here's Shuggy using my camcorder at the Vinny gig so you can see the size of it.

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Chorlton_Ruffian » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:43 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Dec 10 2005, 12:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Dec 10 2005, 12:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Cheers Chris, great post. (it was Chris, no?)

You're so lucky to live amongst such prestigious musical heritage (second only to Liverpool, of course, in terms of Great British music). Looking forward to seeing more- do you have an interest in photography(?)- they are such cool pictures. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Is it second to Liverpool though? <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->

Yeah, I do have an interest in photography. Been a hobby for a few years.

Two more.

This rather bleak view shows HMP Manchester, formerly known as Strangeways Prison with it's 1860s watch tower, on the northern edge of Manchester city centre. As well as lending it's name to the Smiths last studio album it is also notable for hosting the worlds fastest hanging(7 seconds, in 1951), having an enormous month long riot in 1990 which destroyed much of the prison, and having Ian Brown nd David Dickinson(haha) incarcerated within it's walls.

This is the Free Trade Hall. Originally built in 1856, it was half flattened in the war and rebuilt. In 1976 a legendary Sex Pistols concert took place in the Lesser Hall, a smaller room upstairs. Only around 45 people attended, however, that audience included Morrissey, Ian Curtis(Joy Division), Bernard Sumner(JD, New Order, Electronic), Hooky(JD, NO), Mick Hucknall(Simply Red), Howard Devoto and Pete Shelley who soon formed the Buzzcocks, and Tony Wilson who founded the Hacienda.

In 2002 the less architecturally significant back end of the building was demolished and the rest was incorporated into a new 5* hotel which opened in 2004. <a href='http://pvdl.best.vwh.net/misc/alwaysMcr-4.jpg' target='_blank'>Free Trade Hall before redevelopment</a>
<div align="center">Image</div>
<div align="center"><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->"I would rather eat my own testicles than reform The Smiths, and that's saying something for a vegetarian."<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
Chorlton_Ruffian
Supreme

Postby Still Ill » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:41 am

Those are some great photos there, Ch Ruffian!
I think it's great to attach an image to some of those wonderful stories we've read about.

Grim, I never thought about using my camcorder (it's the same size) to take pictures. My camera is twice its size! <!--emo&:o-->Image<!--endemo-->
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby madmancmonkey » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:36 am

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Dec 10 2005, 12:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Dec 10 2005, 12:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Cheers Chris, great post. (it was Chris, no?)

You're so lucky to live amongst such prestigious musical heritage (second only to Liverpool, of course, in terms of Great British music). Looking forward to seeing more- do you have an interest in photography(?)- they are such cool pictures. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Only just seen this quote. How can Manchester be second to Liverpool? Just because Liverpool pioneered pop (and some city had to do it) with the Beatles, doesnt mean Liverpool has a fantastic musical history! Its always going to be Manchester Oasis, Smiths, Stone roses, Joy division/new order, ... must i go on?
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Postby thischarmingman » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:57 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-sweetandtenderhooligan+Dec 22 2005, 11:36 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sweetandtenderhooligan @ Dec 22 2005, 11:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-elko+Dec 10 2005, 12:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Dec 10 2005, 12:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Cheers Chris, great post. (it was Chris, no?)

You're so lucky to live amongst such prestigious musical heritage (second only to Liverpool, of course, in terms of Great British music). Looking forward to seeing more- do you have an interest in photography(?)- they are such cool pictures. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Only just seen this quote. How can Manchester be second to Liverpool? Just because Liverpool pioneered pop (and some city had to do it) with the Beatles, doesnt mean Liverpool has a fantastic musical history! Its always going to be Manchester Oasis, Smiths, Stone roses, Joy division/new order, ... must i go on? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
agreed. why do scousers think the rest of the country should hold their 'tradition' in such reverence? Why are they so overly sentimental about their achievements?
Boris Johnson was right. Shame Michael Howard made him half apologise. Buzzcocks, Smiths , Mondays, Inspirals,Doves,the Roses, New Order,Oasis, Joy Division, The Fall, A Perfect Ratio, James and on and on.. not even to mention the acid house scene vs the beatles, 'cast' and the coral. No contest. Oh no sorry the coral are from birkenhead,so scrap that one.

p.s. don't mean to be confrontational, just banter, but it helps the forum to express an opinion and I'm bored. Any replies welcomed.
Last edited by thischarmingman on Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here is London, giddy London
Is it home of the free, or what?
thischarmingman
Advanced

Postby elko » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:18 pm

Hehe. I said it to be vaguely controversial. When I said 'second to', I really meant that it was a close run thing and I wouldn't really like to decide.

The Beatles, The Bunnymen, The La's. The holy trinity of guitar music.

The Smiths, The Stone Roses, The Fall. The other holy trinity. <!--emo&:rolleyes:-->Image<!--endemo-->

But personally I prefer pure pop music (what might have once been called Merseybeat) to almost anything else, and for me Liverpool is the home of this. Consider also: The Teardrop Explodes, The Lightning Seeds, The Pale Fountains/Shack, Ladytron, The Icicle Works, The Coral (Scouse to all intents and purposes), The Stands....the list of quality Liverpool bands goes on.

By the way, I am not a scouser.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Grim O'Grady » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:49 pm

but but but...
yav missed so much Manc, Elks lad...
The Hollies (Graham Nash went on to Crosby, Stills etc)
the Bee-Gees (sort of)
the Buzzcocks
Slaughter & the Dogs
John Cooper-Clarke

is this turning into a Manc/Scouse debate?

back to basics, we've still got the best Smiths landmarks though <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->

love

Grim

Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to The Smiths