Ignorance

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby elko » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:20 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bernie brown+Feb 9 2006, 09:11 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bernie brown @ Feb 9 2006, 09:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I dont think too many of them have heard of The Smiths...which is hard to believe and a bit sad and kind of a poor reflection on the sorry state of the world dont you think ? I mean, shouldn't kids be getting exposed to the best art on offer somewhere at school ? Surely lyrically the Smiths songs deserve to be studied in English classes everywhere. Makes the job of spreading the word that much more important when you think about the power of these songs to add another dimension to your life. I'm an English teacher and I'm going to give my Year 11's a CD with songs to study this year and you can bet there'll be some Smiths on it. Which ones would you recommend ? How about "This night has opened my eyes " for starters ? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yes, that would definitely be my first choice. Such a beautiful song, and with a fairly strong narrative in comparison to other Smiths tracks.
elko
Site Admin

Postby some_dizzy_whore_1804 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:54 pm

That would be a good one! I only wish I knew of the Smiths when I was in year 11.. I would've done Pretty Girls Make Graves

And now you know the truth about me, you won't see me anymore!
But i'm still fond of you...oh oh
some_dizzy_whore_1804
Supreme

Postby Boywiththethorninhisside » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:13 pm

Some people mature and develop wider music tastes as they get older - let's face it, by the time most people get to their mid 20s and older, they don't walk around in band t-shirts and put posters of their favourite band on their wall anymore. They get a bit less obsessive over groups and listen to a wider range of music with less intensity.

Back when I was in 6th form, it was all grunge-era bands, and we'd spend hours debating why Alice In Chains were better than Pearl Jam or Soundgarden etc. Now I'm an old fart (28) and my love of music is as strong as ever, but I've had the time to listen to other things away from the peer pressure of school/college, and can make up my own mind without having to appear "cool" to anyone else with limited music tastes.

I still love some of the music I liked back then, BTW. Keep up the good fight; if you truly love The Smiths now, they will probably always have a special place in your heart, even when you're paying your mortgage and changing your kids' nappies.
<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->www.myspace.com/gesekki<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
Boywiththethorninhisside
Regular

Postby Rodchenko » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:34 pm

This whole topic... I find it to be as true as possible... My classmates all listen to vile mainstream-pop, techno or nothing in particular... And they look upon us, the fans of profound beautiful music, i.e Morrissey, as we were freaks. And all of this just because we stand out. How bloody strange is that?
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

Postby madmancmonkey » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:01 pm

How can people live like that though *cringes*! When its all said and done though the Smiths are clearly one of the best bands ever so they can keep their disposable mainstream crap and play it as thier ringtones for all they like! I think I will go and buy a Meat is murder T shirt!
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Postby some_dizzy_whore_1804 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:07 am

<!--QuoteBegin-sweetandtenderhooligan+Feb 16 2006, 04:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sweetandtenderhooligan @ Feb 16 2006, 04:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> How can people live like that though *cringes*! When its all said and done though the Smiths are clearly one of the best bands ever so they can keep their disposable mainstream crap and play it as thier ringtones for all they like! I think I will go and buy a Meat is murder T shirt! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
A-men!!!

And i got my t-shirt last week <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->

And now you know the truth about me, you won't see me anymore!
But i'm still fond of you...oh oh
some_dizzy_whore_1804
Supreme

Postby convergence » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:00 am

unless the band is named incubus, fallout boy, green day, jack johnson, or dave matthews, chances are most college kids don't know what band you're talking about
convergence
Advanced

Postby Rodchenko » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:17 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->A-men!!!

And i got my t-shirt last week <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Beautiful, wear it down to it's threads!
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

Postby madmancmonkey » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:37 am

<!--QuoteBegin-convergence+Feb 20 2006, 07:00 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (convergence @ Feb 20 2006, 07:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> unless the band is named incubus, fallout boy, green day, jack johnson, or dave matthews, chances are most college kids don't know what band you're talking about <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
wha ... the peeps in my college dont even know them! Its all sugababes and Kanye West and you're like 'Get a life!'.
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Postby Lazy Dyke » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:44 am

It's more about cliques and groups of people apose to indivudual music taste. I don't really fit in anywere as I listen to about every genre you can think of. Although I do tend to steer clear of hip hop/rn'b and mainstream modern pop.

You get most people who simply listen to whatever they hear on the radio or whatever, the rap fans which is the majority for our age. Then you get the emo/goth kids who listen to music what coincides with how they dress. Not all of them but thats the majority.

It's not an ignorance it's just a general not having the oppurtunity I think. They dont look for a music taste or different genres they just accept whats thrown at them.
Lazy Dyke
Smiths Nut!

Postby Eden Spirit » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:53 pm

I find it funny that some of the posters to this thread, while in the process of exposing ignorance towards The Smiths, show their own ignorance towards rap/hip hop and techno/dance/electronica. Every genre of music contains a plethora of gems waiting to be mined, including genres that currently have real estate in the mainstream. Just because you haven't taken the time to explore a music genre doesn't mean it sucks. I'm not saying it is incumbent upon everyone to diversify their music collection so every genre, from rap to world music, is represented and try to force oneself into liking genres outside their comfort zone; on the contrary, it's perfectly healthy to stick to one genre like rock and explore its many styles to their ends. But if you haven't devoted comparable energy to rap or electronica or country as you have devoted to rock, then don't pretend that you are in any position to comment on their worth. There is nothing more naive and trendy than saying "I like all types of music, except rap and country and techno".

Additionally, I find it unnerving when people say today's music is crap, and that the listening public of today are sheep. Crappy music saturates the mainstream in every time period in recent memory, including today. That doesn't mean that likewise, good music magically ceases to be produced. The 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s all have their high points and low points, just as the 2010s and 2020s will have their high points and low points.
Eden Spirit

Postby helmoz » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:56 pm

i do like rap, dance, etc., just not the kind of mainstream version that u hear a lot nowadays - im just into the gems of those genres, i dont dislike those genres outright.
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:05 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Eden Spirit+Feb 26 2006, 11:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Eden Spirit @ Feb 26 2006, 11:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I find it funny that some of the posters to this thread, while in the process of exposing ignorance towards The Smiths, show their own ignorance towards rap/hip hop and techno/dance/electronica. Every genre of music contains a plethora of gems waiting to be mined, including genres that currently have real estate in the mainstream. Just because you haven't taken the time to explore a music genre doesn't mean it sucks. I'm not saying it is incumbent upon everyone to diversify their music collection so every genre, from rap to world music, is represented and try to force oneself into liking genres outside their comfort zone; on the contrary, it's perfectly healthy to stick to one genre like rock and explore its many styles to their ends. But if you haven't devoted comparable energy to rap or electronica or country as you have devoted to rock, then don't pretend that you are in any position to comment on their worth. There is nothing more naive and trendy than saying "I like all types of music, except rap and country and techno".

Additionally, I find it unnerving when people say today's music is crap, and that the listening public of today are sheep. Crappy music saturates the mainstream in every time period in recent memory, including today. That doesn't mean that likewise, good music magically ceases to be produced. The 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s all have their high points and low points, just as the 2010s and 2020s will have their high points and low points.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I agree, to an extent- I love the 'gems' that I've found in electronica, 'IDM', hip-hop, folk, etc etc. But I do think that if someone says "oh, I don't like rap", then ultimately that's up to them. For all you know, it might be true. And to be fair, the current atrocities masquerading as mainstream hip-hop are simply diabolical. Some of the worst music ever made.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Miserable Liar » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:58 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Asleep+Jan 30 2006, 05:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Asleep @ Jan 30 2006, 05:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Todays indie kids obviosly no the smiths but they probably cant see the link between them and brit pop which is a shame. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Nole Gallagher of OASIS saw Johnny Marr on Top Of The Pops and wanted to be him and when Damon Albarn of BLUR saw The South Bank Show on The Smiths he wanted to be in a band, 'tis easy!
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Lazy Dyke » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:56 pm

I wasn't saying plain out thought rap was rubbish I just don't listen to it. Electronica/Dance is my second favourite music genre and I listen to everything from light electronica such as Ladytron through to hard industrial EBM like Winterstahl. What I was saying is that the majority of people don't look past the basic genres available to them on their music channels.
Lazy Dyke
Smiths Nut!

Previous

Return to The Smiths