Famous Smiths/Moz fans?

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Beckett » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:48 pm

Probably been discussed before but could you all list the famous people you know who like The Smiths or Morrissey.

I know Christopher Eccleston (Dr Who) is a huge fan as are Baddiel and Skinner.

And the American actress Julia Stiles (spelling) said she loves the Smiths on the Johnathon Ross show.

Also the guy who plays Tony Sopranos nephew is a huge Smiths fan....he was also the guy shot by Joe Pesci in Goodfellas....don't know his name though <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->

Do you know of any?
Beckett

Postby helmoz » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:53 pm

bono, JK rowling, radiohead, will self, noel gallagher, and loads of emo bands.
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mozzerella » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:54 pm

Oops. Never mind.
Last edited by Mozzerella on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href='http://www.last.fm/user/Mozaic/?chartstyle=MeatisMurder' target='_blank'>Image</a>
Mozzerella
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:04 pm

I met David Baddiel coming out of the 1st Moz Royal Albert hall gig, I had a quick chat with him, after asking him had he enjoyed the show then I foolishly told him that I was in the middle of reading Frank Skinners book, (I thought I bet the poor bloke must be sick to death of folk talking to him about Skinner) then I set off home, a grand day out! Oh I met GU in a pub earlier that day too, with a toblerone (ask her).

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:10 pm

That Jeremy Vine off Radio 2.

I expect there are millions of 'em, to be honest.

Just please ignore this picture Limp Bizkit frontman Fred Durst wearing a Smiths shirt:

Oh, and this book written by a member of Fall Out Boy:

What?! You didn't ignore them? Errrgh!!! I'm sorry!
elko
Site Admin

Postby sonandheir » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:24 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Pete Doherty, Iggy Pop, Jack Black, Michael Ian Black, Bono, Laura Bowen, David Bowie, Jeff Buckley, Kathy Burke, David Byrne, David Cameron, Billy Corgan, Douglas Coupland, Brandon Flowers, Harry Hill, Peter Gabriel, Liam Gallagher, Noel Gallagher, Ricky Gervais, Gwen Stefani, Martin L. Gore, Davey Havok, Craig Kilborn, Jesse Lacey, JT LeRoy, Chris Martin, Colin Meloy, Brian Molko, Chino Moreno, Daryl Palumbo, Samuel Preston, Jonathan Ross, J. K. Rowling, Matt Skiba, Michael Stipe, David Tranter, Mikey Way, Gerard Way, Peter Wentz, and Thom Yorke have all publicly stated that they are fans of Morrissey's work.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

From Wiki. <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->
<span style='color:blue'>"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi</span>
sonandheir
Supreme

Postby rubygirl » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:06 pm

wow, quite encompassing, sonandheir... <!--emo&:B-->Image<!--endemo-->

I think all members of No Doubt are Smiths fans, I've seen photos of their drummer wearing a TQID T-shirt, as well as Gwen - and she started playing the guitar trying to play The Boy With The Thorn in His Side.

Rufus Wainwright has stated his great appreciation of The Smiths too

Peter Jackson is a big fan too, as far as I know.

And actors like
Rachel Weisz
Chloe Sevigny
Tom Hanks
Eva Mendes
Also, Kirsten Dunst, she's been wearing The Smiths T-shirts.

Hmm, I'll probably remember some more later.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Perfect Drug » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:36 pm

A thing that troubles is all these bands that proclaim The Smiths as a great influence. Why is it I cant hear a single thing that says that?
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>At all events when, after many hours, the door was opened and people thronged in, they found the murderer unconscious and in a raging fever. The prince was sitting by him, motionless, and each time that the sick man gave a laugh, or a shout, he hastened to pass his own trembling hand over his companion's hair and cheeks, as though trying to soothe and quiet him. But alas he understood nothing of what was said to him, and recognized none of those who surrounded him.</span>
Perfect Drug
Supreme

Postby rubygirl » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:46 pm

Well, I guess it's some stupid part of their hype in many cases, but also sometimes the 'influence' is not really obvious, it could have been as a part of the process of finding their own sound, it could have been more on a 'conceptual' level. I don't really know.

Like, The Cardigans have pointed out The Smiths as one of their most prominent influences - and in some of their early tracks you could hear that, but not so much in their later work, me thinks.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:38 pm

Hillary Duff........

Also a whole host of skateboarders, but naming them wouldn't do much good <!--emo&:rolleyes:-->Image<!--endemo-->
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:08 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-The Boy with a thorn in his side+Mar 13 2006, 09:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Boy with a thorn in his side @ Mar 13 2006, 09:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Hillary Duff........

<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
...oh. how could I forget this musical jewel.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:12 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rubygirl+Mar 13 2006, 10:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rubygirl @ Mar 13 2006, 10:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-The Boy with a thorn in his side+Mar 13 2006, 09:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Boy with a thorn in his side @ Mar 13 2006, 09:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Hillary Duff........

<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
...oh. how could I forget this musical jewel. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo--> love the sarcasm.

i know that a lot of bands say theyre an influence but u can hardly hear it in their songs, especially emo/screamo, but i guess its there in the way they express their emotions.
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby JaneSays » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:22 pm

Apparently Oasis hardly changing thier setlists ( <!--emo&<_<-->Image<!--endemo--> ) is influnced by when Noel went to see the Smiths, they had changed the setlist from the day before and he missed out hearing his favourite song by them live.

To all the people saying they've saw people wearing smiths t-shirts, any pics? or quotes of these people stating they're fans? <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
JaneSays
Supreme

Postby Shakespeare's Sister » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:07 am

Green Day are fans.

I read once on a Morrissey site that Billy Joe dedicated Boulevard of Broken Dreams to him at a concert.

Chris Cheney from The Living End is also a fan.
<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Well I'm not listening no more<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
Shakespeare's Sister
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:29 am

Joe Pernice and John Livingston (Trashcan Sinatras).
I know, I know, 'Who?', you ask? <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to The Smiths