Smiths Covers

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Asleep » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:48 pm

Whats is your favorite smtihs song recreated by another artist? Its a tough one but i think You Just Havent Earned it yet baby by Kirsty Maccoll.Followed closely by How Soon is now by tatu
<span style='font-family:Impact'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Oh, I can't help quoting you
Because everything that you said rings true </span>
</span>
Asleep
Advanced

Postby Still Ill » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:49 pm

How Soon Is Now - Love Spit Love
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:41 pm

Not sure I have one really, I mean, I love Billy Bragg but even his Smiths covers were abhorent. I don't think I've ever heard one I really liked.
elko
Site Admin

Postby rubygirl » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:06 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Apr 8 2005, 11:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Apr 8 2005, 11:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Not sure I have one really, I mean, I love Billy Bragg but even his Smiths covers were abhorent. I don't think I've ever heard one I really liked.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I second that.
The Tatu version of How Soon Is Now sounds dreadful to me - it really gets on my nerves <!--emo&:angry:-->Image<!--endemo-->
Kirsty MacColl's rendition of You Just Haven't Earned It, Baby is listenable and maybe so is The Stars' This Charming Man - 'cause it's so different.
And I sometimes play Placebo with Bigmouth Strikes Again - after it I just start liking the original one even more <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby I_left_the_north » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:41 pm

Lots to choose from, some little known:

<a href='http://passionsjustlikemine.com/covers-trib.htm' target='_blank'>http://passionsjustlikemine.com/covers-trib.htm</a>

A friend once played me a cover of Shoplifters by a metal band -- he didn't even realise it was a Smiths song, just thought it was cool. And it was, it a really interesting interpretation. May have been Pantera, or someone like that. Anyone know, cause I've comepletely forgotten who it was. Hey, this is a great excuse to contact him again after so long. Cheers!
I_left_the_north

Postby Miserable Liar » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:16 pm

Anyone heard Buckley's version of "The Boy with a Thorn in his side"? tis' very good.
Also placebo's version of "Bigmouth..." and muse's version of "Please please please..." are good.

Out
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:48 pm

Sandie shaw hand in glove. excellent
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:00 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Alabaster Crashes Down+Apr 26 2005, 07:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alabaster Crashes Down @ Apr 26 2005, 07:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Sandie shaw hand in glove. excellent<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeh, I've heard that somewhere - it was lovely. <!--emo&:rolleyes:-->Image<!--endemo-->

I just heard Belle&Sebastian's cover of The Boy With... - it is strange, I probably shouldn't judge after having listened to it just twice but I quess it won't be among my favourites.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:40 pm

I have that, its very quirky and cool.
Her voice is hauntingly romantic on that song
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Domestique » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:01 pm

I thought this might be an interesting topic for discussion, as I've just heard Placebo's version of Bigmouth Strikes Again and was shocked (into shame) to discover that Brian Molko updates the lyrics so that Joan's Discman and Megadrive start to melt! <!--emo&:o-->Image<!--endemo-->
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Sucrose/?chartstyle=basicrt10" target="_blank"> Image </a>
Domestique
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:55 pm

I merged this with a similar topic just to keep it all together.

I cannot stand the Placebo cover, but I guess that's something to do with hating Placebo.
elko
Site Admin

Postby this_charming_girl » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:57 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rubygirl+Apr 26 2005, 08:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rubygirl @ Apr 26 2005, 08:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I just heard Belle&Sebastian's cover of The Boy With... - it is strange, I probably shouldn't judge after having listened to it just twice but I quess it won't be among my favourites. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--emo&:o-->Image<!--endemo--> i was going to say my favourite one is the b+s cover! its so cute!!!

i also love a cover of cemetry gates i heard by someone walters or something, cant quite remember but its really good

aaah the placebo cover is horrific!!!!
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Domestique » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:27 pm

Ah, that'll be the Frank and Walters from Cork-quite poular in Indie circles in the early 90s. They sang songs about The Happy Busman and the like. A little of them went a long way to be honest... I've not heard their version of Cemetry Gates, but I can imagine just what it sounds like!
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Sucrose/?chartstyle=basicrt10" target="_blank"> Image </a>
Domestique
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mr-Shankly » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:49 pm

I love the Supergrass 'Some Girls' cover.
Names, secret names. But never in my favour.
Mr-Shankly
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:39 am

Well, I think that SUPERGRASS`cover is OK, but I do not love it.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to The Smiths