Smiths Covers

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby this_charming_girl » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:26 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Domestique+Jul 19 2005, 07:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Domestique @ Jul 19 2005, 07:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Ah, that'll be the Frank and Walters from Cork-quite poular in Indie circles in the early 90s. They sang songs about The Happy Busman and the like. A little of them went a long way to be honest... I've not heard their version of Cemetry Gates, but I can imagine just what it sounds like! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
ahh that is the one indeed! that and the b+s cover one are the only smiths covers ive heard that are actually pretty good.
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:27 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-this_charming_girl+Jul 19 2005, 05:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (this_charming_girl @ Jul 19 2005, 05:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
aaah the placebo cover is horrific!!!! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yah, it's nauseating. But it has the interesting effect of making me love the original version more and more...

Maybe this thread is the place to mention how many years ago I went to watch the silly movie The Craft for the sole reason that its soundtrack included some absurd cover of How Soon Is Now - by I don't remember who... Those idiots didn't even use the original - which is good in a way, 'cause I don't want it to be associated with such crap...
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby this_charming_girl » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:34 am

<!--emo&:o-->Image<!--endemo--> oh dear, i dont remember that! i saw that film years ago now, hmm was it the hundred reasons cover? a cover of how soon is now i also used for that tv program charmed, not good.
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:27 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-miserableliar+Apr 21 2005, 09:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (miserableliar @ Apr 21 2005, 09:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Also placebo's version of "Bigmouth..." ... is good.

<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
*cries*

no! i hate that cover! his voice just grates!

hehe. <!--emo&<_<-->Image<!--endemo-->
I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:29 pm

hehe. clarky sent me the =w=eezer version of please let me get what i want.

this is awful! well, i guess it's not too bad a song, but if you're thinking about it in terms of 'this is a smiths cover'... <!--emo&:o-->Image<!--endemo-->
I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:25 am

apparantly Muse covered Please please.. as well.
The girl I know who has it hates the smiths, well only Morrissey, and loves Muse, but actually said "I hate to admit that The Smiths version is actually better"
I think that thats a given, but for her to say that the song must be pretty shoddy.
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:58 pm

I must confess that I love Billy Bragg's cover of Never Had No One Ever. The brass on it is great, it was that song that Simon Goddard said had alternate brass takes, wasn't it? I think it would have been brilliant.
elko
Site Admin

Postby rubygirl » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:07 am

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Jul 23 2005, 09:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Jul 23 2005, 09:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I must confess that I love Billy Bragg's cover of Never Had No One Ever. The brass on it is great, it was that song that Simon Goddard said had alternate brass takes, wasn't it? I think it would have been brilliant. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
I agree. Just got the "The Smiths is dead' tribute and I am listening to it now and was quite impressed with Billy Bragg's rendition of Never Had... and also by The Divine Comedy's version of There Is A Light. They are definitely superior to any other cover of The Smiths' songs I've heard.
But still far away from the impact of the original...
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:24 pm

The Billy Bragg version is growing on me to the extent that it's somewhere up there with the original for me, now. The vocals may not be as dramatic, but the brass riff, it's too cool for words!
Last edited by elko on Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:33 pm

Has anyone ever heard of the Black Smiths? They are along the same lines as the Beatallica (Beatles mixed with Metallica cover band) only its a band doing Smiths covers in a Black Sabbath style... they are shit, but its hilarious! blacksmiths.ws check it out of you have the guts and time...and are masochistic enough to put your ears through that.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:05 pm

Oh my god!

This is.........

..........errrmmm

I'll be honest, despite possibly getting stick for this, I really like it.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:52 pm

I really like the version of "Please, please, please, let me get what I want" by The Dream Academy. It has a nice sound. (You might have hear the instrumental version of the cover in Ferris Beuller's Day Off (in the museum scene)).
Dave
Advanced

Postby carolyns_fingers » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:02 am

Carissa's Weird does a beautiful version of "asleep"
carolyns_fingers
Regular

Postby Grim O'Grady » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:07 am

It's not my favourite, but it's a really funny cover of Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice by Blue Velvet.

I played this to an avid Smiths/Moz Apostle and told him that this was the original version that Morrissey had covered.

If I can find it, I'll post it later <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->

love

GU

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:19 am

Whoooops, just realised what section this was in and you're talking about Smiths covers only.

Just ignore me, everybody else does.

Love

GU

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to The Smiths