Most underrated Smiths song

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Still Ill » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:48 am

I don't understand why 'Death At One's Elbow' is considered their worst song, seemingly across the board. The lyrics don't have much to say, but I love the music. I think it would have fit in will on MIM.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby madmancmonkey » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:53 pm

it's dire mate. When I hear it I want to take a hatchet to my ear! I think ' I won't share you' is rather underrated ... you never hear folk discuss it even though it is brilliant and beautiful.
Last edited by madmancmonkey on Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Postby this_charming_girl » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:12 pm

Still Ill wrote:I don't understand why 'Death At One's Elbow' is considered their worst song, seemingly across the board. The lyrics don't have much to say, but I love the music. I think it would have fit in will on MIM.

i agree, i dont think its by any means their worst song, and i wouldnt describe any of their songs as dire anyway! the music is pretty funky, just because its not a 'classic' doesnt mean it shouldnt be appreciated!

i agree with others previously that Miserable Lie is underrated, i love that song so much, its fantastic to dance to and how can you not love those vocals?! Moz is The Sex! :P :D

Stefi x
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:28 pm

mancsmithsfan wrote:it's dire mate. When I hear it I want to take a hatchet to my ear! I think ' I won't share you' is rather underrated ... you never hear folk discuss it even though it is brilliant and beautiful.

Dire? ok, not going to let go of this one. Close your eyes, take away Moz' singing (hard I know), and listen to the music. Listen to Marr at the very least. How many different styles does he use? Two distinct that I can tell. And that keyboard/harmonica sounding bit. It's a rollicking song, kinda like Rusholme Ruffians. Okay, fire away...
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby madmancmonkey » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:17 am

hey this is biased ... I have hardly ever listened to it :lol: *tries to imagine the direness*....

yep, it's coming back. I think that the whole thing seems awfully disjointed ... the guitaring and harmonica thingy together doesn't make good listening and I think that it is lyrically silly though we agreed not to mention the lyrics! Still .... it'd grace a Coldplay A-side! :lol:
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Postby HandsomeDevil » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:30 pm

I was just thinking..

'Some Girls are Bigger Than Others' isn't necessarily underrated because most fans know its an excellent song. But all the same, it is underrated in so fact that it has one of - if not THE most beautiful melody of all Smiths songs, but maybe its not one people would automatically think of.
HandsomeDevil
Supreme

Postby Hidden by Rags » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:53 pm

I've just listened to the World Won't Listen version of "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby", and blows the Louder than Bombs version out of the water. Such a brilliant song - it really should have been a single, and isn't given nearly enough attention.

I'll also say "Oscillate Wildly" - a beautiful piece of music.
Hidden by Rags
Regular

Postby Bouazizi » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:13 pm

A rush and a push and the land

Easily, it's such a great song with a terrific melody but i fear that other than the real smiths fans among us, not many have heard this wonderful tune.
<!--fonto:Verdana--><span style="font-family:Verdana"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->♪ ♫<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#FF6600--><span style="color:#FF6600"><!--/coloro-->there is a light that never goes out<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Bouazizi
Regular

Postby elko » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:04 pm

Bouazizi wrote:A rush and a push and the land

Easily, it's such a great song with a terrific melody but i fear that other than the real smiths fans among us, not many have heard this wonderful tune.

True enough, the whole of Strangeways is pretty underrated I feel. And there're no tracks from it that have really wormed their way into pop culture in the way that songs like 'This Charming Man', 'How Soon Is Now?', 'Panic' or 'There Is A Light...' have.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Truman Capote » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:37 am

Hidden by Rags wrote:I've just listened to the World Won't Listen version of "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby", and blows the Louder than Bombs version out of the water.

I do not agree with you, I prefer the Louder Than Bombs version.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Hidden by Rags » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:36 pm

Truman Capote wrote:I do not agree with you, I prefer the Louder Than Bombs version.

The Louder than Bombs version was the first one I heard, and while I loved it, I thought it didn't fulfill its potential. There's a nice energy to it, but the chorus is lacking something - it just feels a bit thin, as though the balance isn't quite right. The guitars are stronger throughout on the WWL version, and the drums held back a bit during the chorus, making the whole thing more melodic and beautiful. Just my opinion, though.
Hidden by Rags
Regular

Postby lilybett » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:35 am

Meat Is Murder
I will not change and I will not be nice!
lilybett

Postby Chorlton_Ruffian » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:07 pm

Golden Lights of course.
<div align="center">Image</div>
<div align="center"><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->"I would rather eat my own testicles than reform The Smiths, and that's saying something for a vegetarian."<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
Chorlton_Ruffian
Supreme

Postby rubygirl » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:04 pm

Girl Afraid

this is one of the most underrated songs ever - and it's pure genius, the lyrics are so simple, yet telling sooo much, drawing a whole multilayered picture of what's happening to the girl and boy he's singing about - and the instruemntation is so dense, and so perfectly uplifting :)
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby yandee » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:19 am

rubygirl wrote: Girl Afraid

this is one of the most underrated songs ever - and it's pure genius, the lyrics are so simple, yet telling sooo much, drawing a whole multilayered picture of what's happening to the girl and boy he's singing about - and the instruemntation is so dense, and so perfectly uplifting :)

Hell Yes! I Agree
I don't even know if Accept Yourself is underrated or not, but if it was...well...that would be unfair, because it is the greatest song of HOH!!!

the one I love
yandee
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to The Smiths