Most underrated Smiths song

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby HandsomeDevil » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:47 pm

Which Smiths song does everyone think is most underrated?
I think 'This Night Has Opened My Eyes' and 'I don't Owe You Anything' never got the recognition that they should have.
HandsomeDevil
Supreme

Postby elko » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:01 pm

Great choices, I adore those songs, they are for me the perfection of 60's pop. 'This Night Has Opened My Eyes' in particular, it's just unbelievable, sort of restrained yet you still feel it could go anywhere.
elko
Site Admin

Postby BigmouthSA » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:22 pm

Youve got everything now barely gets a mention when discussing their best tracks, I think its great personally!
'I dont get along with myself, and Im not too keen on anyone else!'

:D
BigmouthSA
Regular

Postby moz manic » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:27 am

ive always loved "paint a vulgar picture" -the lyrics are so clever but it barely gets mentioned <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->
<span style='color:purple'>"Morrissey and Marr gave me choice"</span>

moz manic
Regular

Postby helmoz » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:04 am

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->ive always loved "paint a vulgar picture" -the lyrics are so clever but it barely gets mentioned  <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

agree.
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:55 am

<!--QuoteBegin-moz manic+Aug 15 2005, 10:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (moz manic @ Aug 15 2005, 10:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->ive always loved "paint a vulgar picture"  -the lyrics are so clever but it barely gets mentioned  <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo--><!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Agree too.

GIRL AFRAID
I adore this song so much, one of my top Smiths choices definitely. A kind of sythesis of all I love about this band. <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby chrisarclark » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:17 pm

"Paint A Vulgar Picture" and "Girl Afraid" get plenty of mention.

"This Night Has Opened My Eyes" was hyped tremendously before its release in North America often touted as their best song, but iwill agree that it has fallen out of the lime light since.

"I Don't Owe You Anything" and "You've Got Everything Now" do not get mentiion ever as amongst The Smiths best, but ithink thats suiting- theyre not.

"Half A Person" is an oft overlooked classic. iwouldnt slot it in as one of their very best, but it deserves more credit or attention than it recieves.

"Rusholme Ruffians" is not given proper credit either- its an absolutley brilliant track.

"Still Ill" is another- easily on of the best from 83-84 but never mentioned alongside "This Carming Man," "Reel Around The Fountain," etc..

"What She Said" is one of the few real barnstormers in The Smiths catalogue, but never gets enough mention.

"You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby" is the classic overlooked/undermined Smiths' track, forever under considered after losing out on single status to "Shoplifters Of The World Untie".

the most underrated/overlooked song in The Smiths cannon in my opinion is "Nowhere Fast"- how this was not made a single is beyond me. how it never gets any mention in any circles as being amongst their very best is even more dumbfounding. iread an anecdote on morrissey-solo that may giv some explanition to it never making a single release:

<!--QuoteBegin-dandy dick -- Friday August 05 2005+ @09:33PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dandy dick -- Friday August 05 2005 @ @09:33PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->22nd November 1984 at the Ulster Hall, Belfast.
It was my first ever concert.

James were the support, though at the time I'd never heard of them.

Front row, jammed against the stage, Andy Rourke handed me his plectrum at he end of the show, which I still have to this day.

Met Morrissey the next morning at his hotel.
Having his breakfast while the rest slept the night before off.

Remember asking him what was the new single. He replied "Nowhere Fast".
I blurted out "That's the name of Meatloaf's latest single", which was true.
Nowhere Fast never did come out as a single.
I wonder.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
"I'm just passing through here on my way to somewhere civilized and maybe I'll even arrive, maybe I'll even arrive..."
chrisarclark
Advanced

Postby helmoz » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:17 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->"Paint A Vulgar Picture" and "Girl Afraid" get plenty of mention.

"This Night Has Opened My Eyes" was hyped tremendously before its release in North America often touted as their best song, but iwill agree that it has fallen out of the lime light since.

"I Don't Owe You Anything" and "You've Got Everything Now" do not get mentiion ever as amongst The Smiths best, but ithink thats suiting- theyre not.

"Half A Person" is an oft overlooked classic. iwouldnt slot it in as one of their very best, but it deserves more credit or attention than it recieves.

"Rusholme Ruffians" is not given proper credit either- its an absolutley brilliant track.

"Still Ill" is another- easily on of the best from 83-84 but never mentioned alongside "This Carming Man," "Reel Around The Fountain," etc..

"What She Said" is one of the few real barnstormers in The Smiths catalogue, but never gets enough mention.

"You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby" is the classic overlooked/undermined Smiths' track, forever under considered after losing out on single status to "Shoplifters Of The World Untie".

the most underrated/overlooked song in The Smiths cannon in my opinion is "Nowhere Fast"- how this was not made a single is beyond me. how it never gets any mention in any circles as being amongst their very best is even more dumbfounding. iread an anecdote on morrissey-solo that may giv some explanition to it never making a single release:

QUOTE (dandy dick -- Friday August 05 2005 @ @09:33PM)
22nd November 1984 at the Ulster Hall, Belfast.

Front row, jammed against the stage, Andy Rourke handed me his plectrum at he end of the show, which I still have to this day.

I wonder.
<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah youve mentioned some amazing songs there - "girl afriad", "this night...", "what she said", etc.
it shows just how great the smiths were, that they could regularly make b-sides that were better than your average bands a-sides, they just had so many great songs to spare!
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby WordsAsOldAsSin » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:34 pm

i think unlovable is a great song and it really doesnt get that much attention
Love is Natural and Real
But not for such as you and I, my love
WordsAsOldAsSin
Supreme

Postby this_charming_girl » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:08 pm

id say girl afraid and rusholme ruffians too, but also barbarism begins at home, that needs to be recognised more i feel, its an amazing song!
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby chrisarclark » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:17 pm

idont find "Unlovable" to be underrated other than it sometimes gets unfairly panned. its a good song, catchy, a couple of great lines from Moz, but its nothing tremendous or worthy of consideration amongst te best The Smiths hav to offer.

"Barbarism Begins At Home" ifind to be overrated by many. its an exciting track and if it catches me in the right mood ill absolutely lov it, but it carries on far too long for its redundant nature. and idont find the music backs up the seriousness of the lyric's subject (if you wish to take it seriously which ibelieve was the intention). that bass line and guitar are pretty hammed up. ifnid it to be one of the few Smiths songs you can definitely point at as being flawed. once you get over that it can still be very enjoyable, but id never consider it amongst their best.
"I'm just passing through here on my way to somewhere civilized and maybe I'll even arrive, maybe I'll even arrive..."
chrisarclark
Advanced

Postby elko » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:32 am

<!--QuoteBegin-chrisarclark+Aug 16 2005, 04:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chrisarclark @ Aug 16 2005, 04:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> the most underrated/overlooked song in The Smiths cannon in my opinion is "Nowhere Fast"- how this was not made a single is beyond me. how it never gets any mention in any circles as being amongst their very best is even more dumbfounding. iread an anecdote on morrissey-solo that may giv some explanition to it never making a single release:

<!--QuoteBegin-dandy dick -- Friday August 05 2005+ @09:33PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dandy dick -- Friday August 05 2005 @ @09:33PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->22nd November 1984 at the Ulster Hall, Belfast.

I wonder.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Wonderful story, and I agree.

I'd also add 'I Want The One I Can't Have'. It's still quite odd to think that no single was released from Meat Is Murder, you just can't imagine it happening today, when marketing is so meticulously planned, even with smaller labels like RT.
elko
Site Admin

Postby chrisarclark » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:40 am

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Aug 17 2005, 12:32 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Aug 17 2005, 12:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I'd also add 'I Want The One I Can't Have'. It's still quite odd to think that no single was released from Meat Is Murder, you just can't imagine it happening today, when marketing is so meticulously planned, even with smaller labels like RT. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
there were singles off Meat Is Murder, juste not all of them were released everywhere and they were released in about the least advantageous manner possible.

see the following for info on the single releases:

<a href='http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/smiths-d13hsin.htm' target='_blank'>"How Soon Is Now?"</a>(iknow its not on the album in the UK)

<a href='http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/smiths-d17bbss.htm' target='_blank'>"Barbarism Begins At Home"</a>

<a href='http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/smiths-d20hr.htm' target='_blank'>"The Headmaster Ritual"</a>

<a href='http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/smiths-d19tjifa.htm' target='_blank'>"That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore"</a>

and ill agree on "I Want The One I Can't Have", but not so far as to place amongst their very best- its alongside "What She Said" but ive found it gets more mention than that song.
chrisarclark
Advanced

Postby elko » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:05 pm

Ah right. I knew about 'That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore' being a single, just slipped my mind I guess.

(By the way, 'How Soon Is Now?' is actually on the CD of Meat Is Murder in the UK and everywhere. Not good, as far as I'm concerned.)
elko
Site Admin

Postby chrisarclark » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:50 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Aug 17 2005, 12:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Aug 17 2005, 12:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> (By the way, 'How Soon Is Now?' is actually on the CD of Meat Is Murder in the UK and everywhere. Not good, as far as I'm concerned.) <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
juste the vinyl its left off then iguess. whatever- ipersonally like its inclusion. it ironically fits much better with the '85 recordings than it does the '84s on Hatful Of Hollow. ithink, without that track, Meat Is Murder is too short, but iknow the purists and The Smiths themselves would disagree.
Last edited by chrisarclark on Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisarclark
Advanced

Next

Return to The Smiths