Most underrated Smiths song

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby atomium » Tue May 09, 2006 7:02 pm

Both you'v egot everything now and girl afraid. I remember listening to girl afraid for the first time, it was so great, it still is. I just had to lear it on my guitar. great!
atomium
Supreme

Postby Hidden by Rags » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:31 pm

Still Ill - I know it's quite highly rated, but I really think it's among the very, very best stuff the band ever did, right up there with This Charming Man.

Girl Afraid - the guitar intro is astonishing, and Moz's lyrics are perfect.

Well, I Wonder - it's a stunningly beautiful song, but it seems nobody ever mentions it. I don't think it sounds secondary at all next to things like Reel Around the Fountain and There Is A Light.

Rusholme Ruffians - again, one that is quite highly regarded, but not highly enough in my opinion. One of the most brilliantly uplifting songs they did.

Death of a Disco Dancer - a true masterpiece, almost as good as I Know It's Over IMO.
Hidden by Rags
Regular

Postby rubygirl » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:11 pm

Hidden by Rags wrote:
Girl Afraid - the guitar intro is astonishing, and Moz's lyrics are perfect.

Rusholme Ruffians - again, one that is quite highly regarded, but not highly enough in my opinion. One of the most brilliantly uplifting songs they did.

Absolutely agree.
Both of these are totally uplifting, and I even see Girl Afraid as quite hilarious at times - it's been probably my most listened Smiths' song over the last months. B)
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Hidden by Rags » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:26 pm

A couple more that came to me just now - Frankly, Mr Shankly (just a personal favourite, I don't know why) and You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby, which hardly ever gets a mention but, for me, is one of their most memorable songs.
Hidden by Rags
Regular

Postby Truman Capote » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:52 pm

Hidden by Rags wrote:Frankly, Mr Shankly

LOVE IT! It's one of my favourites too.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:52 pm

Truman Capote wrote:<!--quoteo(post=33071:date=Aug 30 2006, 03:26 PM:name=Hidden by Rags)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hidden by Rags @ Aug 30 2006, 03:26 PM) [snapback]33071[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Frankly, Mr Shankly

LOVE IT! It's one of my favourites too.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I love it too - but have to say it took me much more time than most Smiths songs to get to love it... at the beginning it felt a bit strange to me, but I like things to be strange, so with time it grew on me and now I adore the track! :P
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:01 pm

rEALLY rUBY? Frankly Mr Shankly was the second Smiths' song I heard and it instantly seduced me. The first was Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now.

T.
Last edited by Truman Capote on Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:24 am

Truman Capote wrote:rEALLY rUBY? Frankly Mr Shankly was the second Smiths' song I heard and it instantly seduced me.

Oh, YeS, TC - really.
Music has strange ways of getting a hold of us ;)
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Hidden by Rags » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:41 pm

I didn't find Frankly, Mr Shankly strange, but it's one of those songs that's really grown on me the more I've heard it, until it's comfortably among my very, very favourites. The same with Death of a Disco Dancer.
Last edited by Hidden by Rags on Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hidden by Rags
Regular

Postby HandsomeDevil » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:31 pm

'Asleep' isn't mentioned very often, it should be though because it is one of the most emotive and saddest songs I've ever heard.
HandsomeDevil
Supreme

Postby HowSoonIsNever? » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:40 am

HandsomeDevil wrote:'Asleep' isn't mentioned very often, it should be though because it is one of the most emotive and saddest songs I've ever heard.

Asleep is one of my absolute favorites. It sounds quite innocent in a way which makes it all the more tragic, and no, doesn't get mentioned as much as it should.

I'd also place Frankly, Mr. Shankly among my favorites. I was hooked from the word go.
Futures!
HowSoonIsNever?
Regular

Postby chuckydarko » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:16 pm

Well I Wonder

As with pretty much the whole Smiths catalogue, I can identify with this song. It's definitely one of my favourites.

Miserable Lie

I love it...despite Morrissey's warbling, heh heh.

Frankly, Mr Shankly

Nice little critique on the record industry...needs more attention.
chuckydarko

Postby Bouazizi » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:38 pm

Still Ill! :P
<!--fonto:Verdana--><span style="font-family:Verdana"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->♪ ♫<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#FF6600--><span style="color:#FF6600"><!--/coloro-->there is a light that never goes out<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Bouazizi
Regular

Postby Midnight » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:42 am

Asleep
Well I Wonder
Death of a Disco Dancer
I Won't Share You

All four are very close to my heart. I've always been very sentimental about I Won't Share You, and especially confused as to why some are relatively ambivalent towards it. Given what was happening to The Smiths, it's a very emotional song, and a very beautiful one too.
Midnight

Postby Hidden by Rags » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:54 am

chuckydarko wrote:Miserable Lie

I love it...despite Morrissey's warbling, heh heh.

I didn't like that song at all for a long time, but then I heard the John Peel version, which is great. It's a song that really suffers from the poor production on the first album - I think all the other songs just about get away with it, but "Miserable Lie" sounds terrible on The Smiths. With the right production it's a good song, though.
Hidden by Rags
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to The Smiths