Most underrated Smiths song

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby charles » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:26 pm

Do Smiths fans really underrate Smiths songs?
I think Smiths fans underrate 'The World Won't Listen' and overrate 'The Queen Is Dead'.

So, maybe 'You Just Havn't Earned It Yet Baby'

hello OS
charles

Re:

Postby DAVIE » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:54 pm

I'd underrate The Smiths as a band!! The Smiths should be more famous than The Beatles, they should have their own shrine and own museum!
DAVIE

Re: Most underrated Smiths song

Postby rubygirl » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:08 am

But what makes me happy is that The Smiths are continuing to attract fans - which is quite an achievement for a band that hasn't been around for 22 years... I was feeling totally alone in my liking of The Smiths when I was 16, but over the last 4-5 years I have met many new fans - of different ages :)
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby lettucefetish » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:26 pm

i personally conduct a rather enthusiastic love for What She Said...one of the best Smiths songs ever. And The Draize Train, of course. I don't think they're "rated" enough..
lettucefetish

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:25 pm

I had a room mate in 2005 that insisted nobody in the world but me knew who the Smiths were... then I made her a CD of all of her favorite bands covering the Smiths :-P took a lot of work, but was golden! And, you know, the Panic video being in Sean of the Dead when we went to see it. Showed her :)
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby cod » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:17 pm

Definantly the headmaster ritual and the whole strangeways album
cod

Postby Nymphetamine » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:11 pm

Paint a Vulgar Picture is my favourite Smiths song and most Smiths I have met don't rate the song at all. Whether or not it is underrated is an unknown concept to me, what do you guys feel about the song?
Nymphetamine
Regular

Postby borntohang » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:46 pm

Paint a vulgar picture is brilliant both musically and lyrically. Very beautiful.

I also find This Night Has Opened My Eyes, Miserable Lie, Pretty Girls Make Graves, I Don't Owe You Anything and several others to be quite underrated. However, the magic of The Smiths can never be overrated at least.
borntohang

Postby Nymphetamine » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:58 pm

I fell in love with The Smiths because when I discovered them at the age of 13, I was very much like Morrissey and could relate to Morrissey through his lyrics, I even laughed my head off endlessly to Morrissey's witty lyrics - the striking thing about Morrissey for me is that The Smiths was his diary to music and yet he was able to write about things that affected him with so much detail and yet the man who was in his own words was suffering from depression throughout the duration of The Smiths and probably prior to forming the band was able to poke fun at himself and yet he was clumped together with his nemesis Robert Smith as being "depression, gloomy" and as a result was branded "the pope of mope".

The Smiths were and are the most complete band I have ever had the pleasure of listening too. The music that Marr & co provided merges majestically with Morrissey's baritone voice and pale lyrics. The blend is perfect and I have yet to discover that with any other band, I love The Cure, The Stone Roses and Joy Division, but none of these bands have captured me in a nutshell quite like The Smiths. A very unique band that is irreplaceable and a band that will live long in the memory of those who fall in love and relate wholeheartedly to in their lives.

Are the Smiths underrated? In some quarters, are some of the Smiths songs underrated? Undoubtedly, but that doesn't matter to me, no opinion from a magazine can waver my appreciation and thanks to the band that comforted me through the strenuous times of being a teenager living through the sickening motions and the monotony of urban life.
Nymphetamine
Regular

Postby Futureman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:48 am

Headmaster’s Ritual
Futureman

Postby HeavenKnowsImMozzerable » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:30 am

To me, Rubber Ring doesn't get enough mention.
I wanna go home... I don't want to stay... give up life as a BAD MISTAKE...

Life is good; and I feel great. 'Cause mother says I was a great mistake.
HeavenKnowsImMozzerable
Regular

Postby JohnnyMare » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:48 pm

You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby. I love the Kirsty MacColl cover as well.
JohnnyMare

Previous

Return to The Smiths