[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - Smiths for Beginners

Smiths for Beginners

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby elko » Thu May 11, 2006 10:28 pm

I'm making a Smiths/Morrissey mix CD for someone who has hardly heard any, and has disliked what they've heard.

What tracks should I put on? Which songs are accessible enough to win anyone over? (Smiths & Moz solo, but bear in mind I'm trying to avoid the tracks that will confirm the miserable, moping stereotype.)
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Thu May 11, 2006 10:44 pm

Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Thu May 11, 2006 10:49 pm

chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Thu May 11, 2006 10:51 pm

Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Thu May 11, 2006 10:55 pm

I forgot about 'There is a light'. Naturally.
I was going to ask too, Ruby, what he/she's already listened to.
Yes, Chicken, that one too.

How far have you gotten with it already, Ellis?
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu May 11, 2006 11:17 pm

I'm not sure what he's heard, but going by the feedback it's mainly the more dramatic stuff, and some newer Moz singles. Yes, I am basically looking for middle of the road, but also I don't want to shy away from the more emotional stuff - just trying to ease it in gently in the space of an hour...

I haven't got very far at all, only chucking some tracks into iTunes (no order):

<a href="http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=smiths7zq.jpg" target="_blank">Image</a>

I find it so hard to judge The Smiths objectively now...should I replace Hairdresser On Fire with the Vini Reilly version?
elko
Site Admin

Postby rubygirl » Thu May 11, 2006 11:27 pm

I cannot speak of Morrissey's stuff, but from The Smiths' songs you could include
Sheila Take A Bow
Girl Afraid
These Things Take Time
Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
London
You Just Haven't ... you could arrange them on a 'contrast principle' if he thinks The Smiths are just some miserable moaners and nothing more...or at least I would go for these tracks
and Shoplifters - definitely. :)
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Thu May 11, 2006 11:45 pm

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby TheLuckIveHad » Fri May 12, 2006 12:11 am

you gotta add 'Interesting Drug'
I'll Never Make That Mistake Again.
TheLuckIveHad
Supreme

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Fri May 12, 2006 2:22 am

A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Fri May 12, 2006 2:43 am

Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Chorlton_Ruffian » Fri May 12, 2006 9:13 am

<div align="center">Image</div>
<div align="center"><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->"I would rather eat my own testicles than reform The Smiths, and that's saying something for a vegetarian."<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
Chorlton_Ruffian
Supreme

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Fri May 12, 2006 9:25 am

Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby Bref » Fri May 12, 2006 2:09 pm

Shoplifters and Sheila, both cathcy and fun
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Book Antiqua--><span style="font-family:Book Antiqua"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial Narrow--><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->Half of the time we're gone but we don't know where,
we don't know where.
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Bref
Smiths Nut!

Postby sonandheir » Fri May 12, 2006 2:35 pm

* How Soon Is Now?
* What Difference Does It Make?
* William It Was Really Nothing
* This Charming Man
* There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
* Barbarism Begins At Home
* Panic
* Shoplifters Of The World
* The Queen Is Dead
* Bigmouth Strikes Again
<span style='color:blue'>"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi</span>
sonandheir
Supreme

Next

Return to The Smiths