Popularity

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby elko » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:07 pm

The Morrissey & Marr Show: A television spectacular to rival Ant & Dec, live from Blackpool beach!

I don't think a reunion will ever happen now. They are surely both smart enough to know that they are past their peak, and they both have plenty of money - what is there to be gained, apart from publicity, and perhaps animosity from a large section of Smiths devotees?
elko
Site Admin

Postby HadjiQuest » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:27 am

On his recent US success:

It's all got to do with the 20 years trend; certain cultural trends are repeated every 20 years because of the age of popular musicians, actors, writers, etc.

The more popular indie bands today are finally begining to cross over in the mainstream. Alot of these guys grew up with The Smiths and Morrissey, and cite them as influences. All the covers and references and whatnot ended up introducing a giant crop of people to The Smiths just recently, and this set up Morrissey's grand success with his Quarry comeback.

Similar things happened with The Cure, Depeche Mode, New Order, and Duran Duran; although these bands had more previous success in the states than Mozzer. In 2004 and 2005, they all put out new albums, which all did (with the possible exception of Duran Duran) pretty well.

If you look at some other 80s stars.... Prince just revived his career, INXS had that reality show to find a new lead, and Queen made an appearance on American Idol that somehow catapulted their new incarnation back into the public eye.
HadjiQuest
Supreme

Postby atomium » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:27 pm

clarky wrote:think morrissey has said the closest you would get to a smiths reunion is a morrisey and marr show

Didn’t Morrissey also say something like: “A Smiths reunion, No, I would rather eat my own testicles, and that says something for a vegetarian.”…Think he did at least.

Anyway, here in Norway the interest for The Smiths has grown a lot over the last few years. The author Grytten has put a lot of focus on The Smiths in his book “Bikubesong”, and the papers have written a lot about Morrissey as well. So I guess that’s got something with the interest many Norwegians show the band today. It’s great that more people get aware of the great and absolutely fantastic music The Smiths has given to us, and of course the music Morrissey still gives us.

Anto -
atomium
Supreme

Postby WordsAsOldAsSin » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:08 am

i think they are yes, they have alot more fans now then they did in the 80s, but that could be just becuase there a more generations that appreicate their music now, morrissey is definatly more popular now then he was back then!
Love is Natural and Real
But not for such as you and I, my love
WordsAsOldAsSin
Supreme

Previous

Return to The Smiths