They're everywhere

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby tca2005 » Wed May 31, 2006 12:18 pm

In The Metro today, the headline for an article about Crystal Palace Chairman Simon Jordan was "Bigmouth Strikes Again". The other day in The Times, there was an article about a woman (to her shame I forget her name) titles "Heaven Knows (Her Name)'s Miserable Now".

HAs this always gone on or is there some subliminal campaign by journos to identify themselves as Smiths fans, something akin to a secret handshake Mason style
Make no mistake my friend, your pointless life will end.
tca2005
Advanced

Postby HandsomeDevil » Wed May 31, 2006 2:06 pm

I think this pretty much hits the nail on the head of the 'Popularity' thread.
Exactly the sort of thing I was talking about.
HandsomeDevil
Supreme

Postby elko » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:42 am

child_from_those_ugly_new_houses wrote:HAs this always gone on or is there some subliminal campaign by journos to identify themselves as Smiths fans, something akin to a secret handshake Mason style

I was actually wondering about this the other day, and I actually think it must be the case. Generally the public don't know these song titles - perhaps it is away to attract the intellectual reader, or the pseudo-intellectual?
elko
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:26 am

I reference the Smiths all the time, sometimes they just say it best. I am sure that the journalists feel the same, they are great source material for genius, and if you know it then you are in the secret super awesome club B)
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby tca2005 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:52 am

elko wrote:<!--quoteo(post=28765:date=May 31 2006, 01:18 PM:name=child_from_those_ugly_new_houses)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(child_from_those_ugly_new_houses @ May 31 2006, 01:18 PM) [snapback]28765[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
HAs this always gone on or is there some subliminal campaign by journos to identify themselves as Smiths fans, something akin to a secret handshake Mason style

I was actually wondering about this the other day, and I actually think it must be the case. Generally the public don't know these song titles - perhaps it is away to attract the intellectual reader, or the pseudo-intellectual?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Considering it was in The Metro, I would say pseudo, with a capital P. :lol:
tca2005
Advanced

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:00 pm

Yes they really are everywhere. I can't believe I'm finally seeing morrissey's face in What's on TV.
Not that I'm complaining...i cut it out. sad.
I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:06 pm

I have a habit of quoting lyrics anyway in daily life, mainly Bunnymen and Smiths though. As stated above: sometimes they just say it best, so why bother to transform the words yourself then? Quoting high-quality lyrics also gives an intelligent, artistic and slightly poshy touch to a conversation :)
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Moz » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:14 pm

I would never be so crass as to do so .because remember If you must write prose/poems
The words you use should be your own
Don't plagiarise or take "on loan".

Moz.
I think , therefore....i'm not so sure.
For Billy Budd.
Moz

Postby chicken » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:21 pm

Moz wrote:I would never be so crass as to do so .because remember If you must write prose/poems

Moz.

there's a beautiful sequence about this in the movie: "Good Will Hunting" done in a brilliant manner.
it is better to live in your head than a rental.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:25 pm

chicken wrote:<!--quoteo(post=28899:date=Jun 1 2006, 09:14 PM:name=Moz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Moz @ Jun 1 2006, 09:14 PM) [snapback]28899[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
I would never be so crass as to do so .because remember If you must write prose/poems

Moz.

there's a beautiful sequence about this in the movie: "Good Will Hunting" done in a brilliant manner.

Great quote there, chicken!
Well, you can find Smiths shirts in Urban Outfitters now. Pretty much sums it up on the retail clothing end.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:29 pm

Still Ill wrote:<!--quoteo(post=28930:date=Jun 1 2006, 04:21 PM:name=chicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chicken @ Jun 1 2006, 04:21 PM) [snapback]28930[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
<!--quoteo(post=28899:date=Jun 1 2006, 09:14 PM:name=Moz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Moz @ Jun 1 2006, 09:14 PM) [snapback]28899[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Moz.

Great quote there, chicken!
Well, you can find Smiths shirts in Urban Outfitters now. Pretty much sums it up on the retail clothing end.

WHAT?!!?!?!?! I want to cry now. :'(
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:07 pm

For all clarity: I mainly quote song lines in everyday conversations, only in chats or letters. When I write a poem, it will be my own words and not some vague copy of an existing song or poem.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby tca2005 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:33 pm

Pash, The Smiths are very very popular over in England right now. Of course a lot of people are casual fans, but a lot of clubs regularly play songs like Bigmouth and This Charming Man and, like I said, you can find somehting about, or referencing, The Smiths or Moz in the paper every day. There were two letters criticising Moz in this free rag called The Metro today, but I'm not worried because as I read it every day I know the sort of people who write into The Metro, and they really are morons.

EDIT just realised I have been very aggressive recently. The weekend should calm me down though.
Last edited by tca2005 on Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tca2005
Advanced

Postby Bref » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:04 pm

Anyone from Eire see the new TV3 ad for news 3? "Ask me,ask me, ask me!",
they are everywhere!
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Book Antiqua--><span style="font-family:Book Antiqua"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial Narrow--><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->Half of the time we're gone but we don't know where,
we don't know where.
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Bref
Smiths Nut!

Postby HandsomeDevil » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:39 pm

Popularity - more now than then? hmmmm
HandsomeDevil
Supreme

Next

Return to The Smiths