Quote from Morrissey

For all things concerning Moz's solo career.

Postby Black & Gold » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:00 pm

About the first band aid single:

"One can have a great concern for the people of Ethiopia, but it's another thing to inflict daily torture on the people of England"
Yes, we may be hidden by rags
But we have something they'll never have
And if the people stare
Then, the people stare
Oh I really don't know
And I really don't care
Black & Gold
Regular

Postby elko » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:33 pm

And another <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo--> :

The whole implication [of Band Aid] was to save these people in Ethiopia, but who were they asking to save them? Some 13-year -old girl in Wigan. People like Thatcher and the royals could solve the Ethiopian problem in 10 seconds. But Band Aid shied away from saying that - for heaven's sake, it was almost directly aimed at unemployed people.
elko
Site Admin

Postby lisa_lee » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:48 pm

Yay, I'm so glad Morrissey speaks the truth, these charity things always bother me. It's all just such a token gesture which does very little in the long run. I'm not heartless, despite what you may have heard, but if there was pressure put on the governement of Sudan/Ethipoia/whoever Geldof feels like saving this year, it would be a lot more effective than 10 million people spending 3.99.
"incidentally, do you fucking want some?"
lisa_lee

Postby I_left_the_north » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:35 pm

Oh dear... and this is my first post as well...

As much as I love him, old Mozza really can talk rubbish some times.

All he's doing in the second quote is acknowledging the truth of the situation and bashing it in light of an unrealistic ideal. It's precisely because the unrealistic ideal -- in this case the Queen or Thatcher shelling out -- would never happen that funds HAD to be saught elsewhere. What a silly thing for an occassionally brilliant and insightful man to say...

And, given his current penchant for seeking publicity and exposure wherever he can, I imagine he's kicking himself with the foot he shot back in the 80s cause he couldn't get involved in the recent Band Aid rehash.

But I forgive him.
I_left_the_north

Postby elko » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:42 pm

Not sure how to respond to that! I suppose you are right, and welcome to the forum.

How did you come across this place?
elko
Site Admin

Postby I_left_the_north » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:06 pm

Thanks Elko.

Found the site via a general 'Morrissey' search on Google.
I_left_the_north

Postby elko » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:12 pm

Good stuff. Care to tell us any more about yourself? Feel free to introduce your self <a href='http://bristolforum.co.uk/smith/index.php?showtopic=32&st=0' target='_blank'>here</a>, or anywhere else really.
elko
Site Admin

Return to Morrissey