sigh.....

For all things concerning Moz's solo career.

Re: sigh.....

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:32 am

Well, is this courtcase going ahead ? I haven't heard anything new about it.

I have to admit this: since the whole story I have difficulties in looking at Moz in the same way as before. I still would so much hear a confirmation that he never said those words, so that I can look at him the same way as before again, as somebody I admired and appreciated at a high level. So I hope this court case gets the go-ahead and that some things are clear (like: did he say them words, or didn't he?). I guess I am just hoping to find someone confirming he never said what the magazine claims he said.

I can only say that if the words are true (which I still hope aren't) that, while still listening to The Smiths, I will not be able to have the same admiration as I did before. Racism to me is utmost disgusting and I cannot stand any right-wing politics really. The words published in NME, to me, are totally unacceptable. So I can only keep my fingers crossed he didn't say them. But I cannot help that since the interview was published, I have some different feelings about Morrissey. Still admiring the music, but finding it difficult to have the same respect for the person like I did before. I can only hope the court proves the words were made up by the press, otherwise I guess I lost a musical idol. I would not stop listening to The Smiths, but I also cannot have respect for plain racism.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:32 pm

Well, I still can't see what was racist about what he said so I don't agree with you.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:07 pm

Racism is more complex than just considering "I hate (name of country or religion)" to be racist. The very idea that there is such a thing as a "national identity" that needs to be protected feels very uncomfortable to me as it goes against my believes that the world should not be divided into cultural territories. The idea that immigration would be a threat to a "national identity" (as far as the latter exists) is plain racist IMO. Maybe I am oversensitive on this though but racism is a very difficult subject to me. I would be very curious to hear if Morrissey really said those words or not. Did NME just made the story up to bring sensation while abusing the name of a popular artist, or did he really say these things? I don't know but if the latter would be the case, I would have difficulties to look at Morrissey in the same way as before. I also still have the feeling he did not say these things, why otherwise taking the magazine to court if you know you have only yourself to blame for something you said?
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Previous

Return to Morrissey