Re 3 disk edition of You Are the Quarry

For all things concerning Moz's solo career.

Postby tallulahtaurus » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:30 pm

I know I should get it and probably will soon enough, but I really feel cheated, especially because I only recently bought my ordinary edition copy v v v recently. Doh!!

So in essence if anyones got it what did they think? is it spectacular? what was the opinion of the quality of those extra tracks?

I'm kinda looking for someone to talk me into buying it...or not as the case may be so what are the arguments for and against?
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:20 am

It's not a three disc one is it? Just two... This is the Platinum Edition you're talking about, yes?

Hm, I considered it, but I really don't want to pay ALL that extra money when I've got the main album and I've <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>downloaded</span> all the b-sides already anyway. Yeah, I know I'm 'stealing' from Morrissey, but guh, I spent loads of money at the concert and I've bought EVERY OTHER ALBUM and I'm only a poor student... *whine*
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:32 am

Yeah the 2 disk and 1 dvd thingy, I haven't been able to download all the other tracks so it's looking like a very attractive option apart from the price!! I have a friend who would probably pay me a bit for my regular you are, tho I haven't spoken to him yet... but I haven't even heard half of the extra tracks so I'm relcutant to give my copy away just yet... what are the b sides like as a whole, I've only heard Don't make fun of Daddy's voice!!!

I can't help feeling cheated I mean Paint a Vulgar Picture - a bit of a hypocrite even though I love the man to death still...!!

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:39 am

Hm, some of them are better than others, Friday Mourning is a gorgeous song (I didn't like it that much to start with, but my opinions has TOTALLY changed after hearing it live), and The Never Played Symphonies is probably one of my favourite Moz songs ever. I Am Two People is one of the not-so-good ones. In general though, they're really good.

Have you been reading all the stuff on morrissey-solo about the Platinum Edition? Everyone's like "Eeeeurgh, HYPOCRITE!! "RE-ISSUE, REPACKAGE, REPACKAGE!"" blah blah blah, and although I sort of agree, you have to admit that the song was a comment on the music industry, he never said that it wouldn't happen to him.
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I dunno...
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:32 pm

No I haven't read stuff on Moz solo but similar sentiments obviously prefigured what I had to say - I guess you do raise a v good and true point there about him not excluding himself from such Paint a Vulgar Pic cop outs but nonetheless it is tres annoying!!!

When I can get hold of my mate I will trade and buy the Platinum one methinks - can't beat a bit of extra Moz I say!! Especially if it's good Moz and even if it isn't!! no matter the inconvenience and cost!!!

tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:46 pm

Sorry to bring this up here, where it's not particularly relevant, but does anyone know what 'You Are The Quarry' actually means?
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:29 pm

Quarry as in 'prey', as opposed to where you find gold. When the album first came out, there was a lot of discussion as to its meaning. There were references from a boxer to a french poem! With Morrissey, of course, it could mean anything.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:39 pm

I've never heard the word used in that sense before.
Last edited by elko on Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby girl_afraid » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:21 am

Really? Is that what it means? I've never heard quarry mean that either! I never really considered what it meant before, I just thought the album name was weird.

Another thing that is strange about the album is the way it's done as "Morrissey, You Are The Quarry" on the artwork etc, implying that Morrissey himself IS the quarry, like "Yeah... Moz is a big hole in the ground". I never really understood that, though it ties in with this wonderful new meaning of the word 'quarry'. <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
Last edited by girl_afraid on Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

I dunno...
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:01 am

Yeah quarry probably refers to prey the other sense of the word makes little sense apparently!!! but I must admit I didn't know it until my friend asked me what I thought he meant by it - we came to the conclusion that a/ I didn't have a clue and b/that I was an idiot who thought it meant hole in the ground... couldnt it still mean hole in the ground I asked... No you fool was his response!!!! <!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->

Intriguing question elko!!

tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mal_Adjusted » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:34 pm

the deluxe edition is going for £7.99 in woolworths at the moment. wont be for long i guess
Mal_Adjusted
Advanced

Return to Morrissey