Rare tracks

For all things concerning Moz's solo career.

Postby tallulahtaurus » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:08 pm

<span style='color:red'>Striptease with a difference</span>, <span style='color:purple'>Born to Hang </span>and <span style='color:orange'>Oh Phoney</span>

I was wondering if anyone had heard any of these?
I really like Oh Phoney and Striptease and I have no appreciation as to why Moz didn't put them on an album since they are better than a lot of the stuff he did include...

What do others think?
Last edited by tallulahtaurus on Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:04 pm

Yes! Striptease With A Difference is one of my favourite Moz songs, I love it. I really don't know why he didn't include them, I guess he's always liked saving the best tracks for b-sides and things, but these were never released at all... Very odd.

Have you heard Picadilly Palare with the extra verse, Talullah?
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:23 pm

I have heard "born to hang" which im ashamed to say i downloaded off kazaa <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo--> sorry moz

But it wasnt the best of songs, but its lurking around the computers shared file somewhere might listen to it again.
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:24 am

Yeah I have heard the extra verse Girl Afraid was quite cool as all Morrissey related stuff is but I didn't really like Picadily Palare initially so I wasn't all that excited.

I am really starting to agree with you regarding Striptease - it has everything going for it, a wonderfully loony premise and intelligent lyrics and some nice music. and Oh Phoney's music is superb too it's a pretty excellent track

Born to hang I don't think was as special and I can kind of see why that wasn't included although it's ok - I downloaded them all from some random person's website the other day I rationalised it by telling myself it isn't as if I can buy the tracks (since they are unreleased) ...so I mean I was forced into it! <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:19 pm

Indeed you were tallulahtaurus, i was just getting into morrissey so i needed a sort of taster track to see if i wanted to buy any albums. Coincidently these tracks were unrealeased, funny how such a thing happens <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:07 am

Yeees how terribly terribly odd!! <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->

tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby chrisarclark » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:30 pm

"Striptease With A Difference", "Oh Phoney", "Born To Hang" and "Please Help The Cause Against Lonliness" are all fairly weak tracks and idont mind at all that theyve never been released. if they had been released idve hope hed hav kept them on the b-sides and not brought down either Viva Hate or Kill Uncle with them. iprobably wouldnt hav minded their official release [as b-sides], but im not bothered at all to hav them left on the shelf.

the extra verse version of "Piccadily Palare" is not very good either and Moz did the right thing by editing it down to the gem it is.
"I'm just passing through here on my way to somewhere civilized and maybe I'll even arrive, maybe I'll even arrive..."
chrisarclark
Advanced

Postby Moz1000 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:35 am

I've got 'Oh Phoney', not heard of the other two though

"Who could make Hitler, look like a bus conductor? YOU DO oh phoney you do!"
Moz1000

Postby I_left_the_north » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:33 pm

Striptease can be heard here:

<a href='http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=379885&Mytoken=20050311114052' target='_blank'>http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseactio...=20050311114052</a>
I_left_the_north

Postby tallulahtaurus » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:47 pm

<a href='http://www.jdogproductions.com/morrisseymusic.html' target='_blank'>this is where I got them from</a>

tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:03 am

Seems someone on M-solo has 'shared' previous unreleased outtakes from Viva Hate. There are 8 total, some complete songs, some just snippets. Hairdresser with Vini which is utter crap is the one that stands out! I have them if anyone is interested, or you can get them directly from M-solo <a href='http://www.morrissey-solo.com/discuss/index.cgi?read=274430' target='_blank'>here</a>

01. please help the cause (demo w moz on vocals).mp3
02. please help the cause (demo with sandie shaw and moz).mp3
03. dial-a-cliche (rough version).mp3
04. hairdress on fire (vini reilly vocals).mp3
05. i know very well how i got my note wrong.mp3
06. dial-a-cliche (morrissey talking at end).mp3
07. dial-a-cliche (wrong key-talking at end).mp3
08. morrissey talking about everyday is like sunday.mp3

If anyone out there knows more about these 'outtakes' and cares to enlighten us....
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Dallow_Spicer » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:38 am

Regarding the outtakes. As someone on moz-solo pointed out, and i noticed right away, track 5 is mislabled. It is actually I know very well how I got my name w/ an alternate ending. I know very well how I got my note wrong is much better, and is a recording where vini hits a wrong note near the end of the song and he and moz burst in to laughter.

here's the real version if anyone is interested...
<a href='http://s16.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=10HSQ9V3QUHXH1K4NTDUAVDS5R' target='_blank'>Note Wrong</a>

i found the other 4 songs you've been referring to at mrs shankleys secret site.
Dallow_Spicer

Postby Still Ill » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:46 am

Thanks for that, Dallow. So, the wrong 'version' was put on? They're clearly different, and this version is a nice one (including Moz' laugh!). So apparently no one there's caught it. Thanks again and welcome.

Just caught your note re Mrs. Shankly's secret site. Haven't been on there recently, is that where they first surfaced? Do you know why these outtakes have now surfaced?
Last edited by Still Ill on Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:55 am

So Shound on Mrs. Shankly's site doesn't make it clear what the clip is until it's referenced at the top and even then it's a vague reference. I think that clip's been there for a while, it sounds familiar.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Dallow_Spicer » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:18 pm

'So, the wrong 'version' was put on?'

I think it was just mislabled, track 5 of the outtakes should have been labled 'I Know Very Well How I Got My Name (Alternate Ending)'. I've no idea why the outtakes didn't include the real version of I Know Very Well How I Got MyNote Wrong.

My Mrs Shankleys reference was about Striptease with a Difference, Picadilly Palare (extra verse), Oh Phoney, and Born to Hang. This is the site where I found these songs...

As for the outtakes, I know they all showed up at the Moz-solo message boards a few days ago thanks to a generous member who goes by Dreamer. I'm assuming that these outtakes have been around for awhile but have been kept tucked away by those who want to make a profit. Since they are(were) so rare, I'm sure they wen't for high dollar. I'm once again assuming that Dreamer payed high dollar for them, but not to make profit, but because he/she is a fan. Upset that he/she had to give money to people who didn't even contribute, they set the files loose on the net. Making them basically worthless to those trying to cash in. Still, just a theory.

I know one file in particular had been floating around for the past few weeks. The last track where morrissey is discussing everyday is like sunday. It showed up at the live journal community Moz_Media, where many generous fans share files.
Dallow_Spicer

Next

Return to Morrissey