Morrissey swearing

For all things concerning Moz's solo career.

Postby HandsomeDevil » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:45 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Morrisseys solo stuff, so I can't say I know the lyrics to his songs word for word like I do with The Smiths.
But upon looking at the lyrics for 'The world is full of crashing bores' I noticed the line - 'Thicker than pig shit, nothing to convey'.
Now it might just be me, but I think using swearwords in his songs just does not suit Morrissey one bit and I find it slightly disappointing coming from him.
Obviously in 'The headmaster ritual' he says 'spineless bastards all..' - but somehow its not fitting with the whole Morrissey persona - at least to me.
Last edited by HandsomeDevil on Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HandsomeDevil
Supreme

Postby elko » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:53 pm

I used to think of swearing as the language of those who can't find the right words, and to an extent I still think it's true. Morrissey usually has the eloquence to slate or berate without swearing. But in the right place, I like it (e.g. The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores, I do love that song).
elko
Site Admin

Postby Grim O'Grady » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:25 pm

I was at Morrisseys Paisley gig last year & was witness to him requesting that Billy Sloan should "piss off", the crowd cheered, which takes me on to another level, I went to a couple of Oasis gigs last month & it always intrigues me why most of the crowd cheer & whoop when any of the band members say "fuck", I mean surely they are aware of the band by now?

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:05 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Aug 20 2005, 07:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Aug 20 2005, 07:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I used to think of swearing as the language of those who can't find the right words<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Ooh, well said elko! And perhaps another reason why I don't care for Oasis. I usually don't let bands' personalities get in the way of the music, but you can't listen to an interview without cuss words getting in the way. So distracting. There are better ways of emphasising or making a point. I guess it could just be as simple as trying to be cool. <!--emo&:unsure:-->Image<!--endemo--> Back to Morrissey, I did have to wince when hearing those words. I have to agree with HandsomeDevil, it doesn't suit him. It only makes him out to be more bitter somehow. I prefer a wittier approach.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby BigmouthSA » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:40 pm

If im being a sad pathetic pendant, "spineless bastards all" is from the Headmaster Ritual...sorry!

Funny you should raise this point actually, I was just thinking it the other day, how much obvious bitterness and anger he has but how rarely he ever swears.

I forgot about Crashing bores..., but the only other song I can think of where he explicitly swears is "How can anybody possibly know how I feel" where he sings "Ive had my face dragged in 15 miles of shit...".
'I dont get along with myself, and Im not too keen on anyone else!'

:D
BigmouthSA
Regular

Postby scavenger » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:17 pm

i too feel swearing is odd in a morrissey song. especially when he sings, ive had my faced dragged in 15 miles of shit. thats always bothered me. it just doesnt fit his persona.
Oh, but don't mention love
I'd hate the pain of the strain all over again
A rush and a push and the land that
We stand on is ours
It has been before
So why can't it be now?
And people who are weaker than you or I
They take what they want from life
scavenger
Supreme

Postby Grim O'Grady » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:01 pm

whilst I'm in agreement with most of the posts, I too feel that if you can make your point without swearing then the point has more validity, it's cheap to swear but that's just the opinion of a swearer!
BUT I think Morrissey was valid in saying "I've had my face dragged through 15 miles of shit & I really don't like it" & then adds "how can anybody possibly know how I feel!" [was it a statement or a question?].
We will read each lyric as we see fit, our context won't be the original obviously, we can surmise that he [Morrissey] may have been having a dig at former band member(s) or not or whatever. I like that lyric because as with most/all of Morrisseys lyrics I can relate them to my life, which is how I got here in the first place.

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Return to Morrissey