Young, English fans unite and take over

For all things concerning Moz's solo career.

Postby helmoz » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:34 am

well if i am ever lucky enough to go to a gig, i'll let you people know!
oh, what u were saying about moz singing smiths songs... i can see why you say it would be nice if he didnt and just left them in people's memories... but at the same time i think its nice that he now sings songs like "rubber ring" live that he never sang live when he was with the smiths. (i loved when he sang it on the new dvd!)
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:24 pm

Rubber Ring, I'm sure he sang that live with the Smiths, if only the medley with What She Said.
elko
Site Admin

Postby weasey » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:38 pm

I think he could get away with a couple of smiths songs. I'd love to hear him do Asleep as an encore, but there are so many great solo songs which could replace the five smiths songs included in his last sets. Break up the family maybe, Picadily Palare? The Ordinary Boys? or Girl least likely to? (that would be my preference but i very much doubt he would sing that one again...unfortunately)

I hope there is a moz gig before christmas, for some reason i think a wintery gig would be best, maybe becuase the one i went to first was in december or because i associate morrissey with cold weather?
the thing that saddens me the most is the fact he seems so different on stage now, most of the time, he was quite subdued in brighton. but its when he gets a bit exagerated and moves really stiffly where as once he would have been flailing his arms uncordinately.
Perhaps if he didn't talk as much either, stuck to the quiet and mysterious approach istead.
"EDUCATION IN REVERSE"
weasey
Supreme

Postby rEEdy^^ » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:53 am

I am also 16 and i am obsessed with the smiths. I also know another girl who is 16 who lives by me and we actually met because of our interests in the smiths.....i got into the smiths because i grew up listening to the vinyls my dad used to play, now i own more smiths stuff then him
rEEdy^^
Supreme

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:24 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-weasey+Aug 21 2005, 07:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (weasey @ Aug 21 2005, 07:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> America seems to have them in abundance, perhaps due to its larger size and Morrissey living in LA <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Ha! An abundance? I know, 1.2...3 smiths fans my ageish. One haughty gay man that is hooked on Gilmore Girls, one was a drunk jerk from work and the other is a guy that is dated my cousin... and only the Gilmore Girls man was a BIG fan, the other 2 just kind of like them.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby weasey » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:37 pm

Yes, I see your point now. This was an exageration on my part. It just seemed like most sites etc seemed to be based in America. If you think about it there probably are more fans in America becuase its alot bigger. Yet if its the same percentage of the population as in england then there wouldn't seem to be any difference. (I'm sorry to be technical)
"EDUCATION IN REVERSE"
weasey
Supreme

Postby hyacinth girl » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:19 pm

At the grand old age of seventeen I have met but one fellow Smiths fan and a whole lot of abuse. Anyone else sick of saying who their favourite band is to be treated with blank looks or, worse, accusations of being a sickeningly miserable teenager (and this from emo kids! Oh, the irony...)?
hyacinth girl

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:25 pm

I'm nearly 20, now. I've liked The Smiths since I was 17, I think. I live in Essex - chav central!
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:48 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-hyacinth girl+Oct 21 2005, 03:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hyacinth girl @ Oct 21 2005, 03:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> At the grand old age of seventeen I have met but one fellow Smiths fan and a whole lot of abuse. Anyone else sick of saying who their favourite band is to be treated with blank looks or, worse, accusations of being a sickeningly miserable teenager (and this from emo kids! Oh, the irony...)? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Something close to that, yes. Most people have heard of The Smiths, but no-one has heard of Johnny Marr, or could name two tracks. I think an A Level in Smithsology should be compulsory.
elko
Site Admin

Postby weasey » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:39 pm

I am also 17, although not for much longer, only a week and a half left! I am mourning the passing of my seventeenth year. Quite a few people in my year are quite musically minded, so they have heard of the smiths but they don't really know them. Only people who i have introduced to it know the music (which is only one person in my year successfully).

However, the worst people tend to be the teachers beleive it or not. They have ingrained miserabilist stereotypes thanks to the media and they actually feel they can say mean things (in jest, but hmph!)

One of my teachers who is an absolute legend though saw the smiths when he was about 14 and is very understanding. Probably one of the few i've met who really knows them. He doesn't talk about it much though, only when I bring it up. Except on one ocassion when he asked me how the morrissey concert I went to was!

Come to think of it, round friends house at the weekend my mates boyfriend said he was a huge fan of the music and had never met anyone else who was, so I was glad to be the first!

ps. let me take an Alevel in smiths anyday over geography and english!! (I would pass with flying colours....or be incredibly embarassed if i didn't)
"EDUCATION IN REVERSE"
weasey
Supreme

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:54 pm

The other day one of my mates asked me what sort of music I listen to. When I said The Smiths one of my other friends turned round and said "my mum likes The Smiths" Oh great I think, another one of these...
But then she says "They're really good! My mum gave me one of their albums and I listen to it all the time"
Needless to say, this girl (and her mum <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo--> )has gone wayyy up in my estimation.
Quite a nice story, kept me smiling for the rest of the day <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:59 am

*wipes brow*
Honestly think what you will be listening to 15, 20 years from now. I wonder about that now and then. The Smiths will be akin to you being a current say, Beatles fan, for example. Not bad I guess! Will your kids want to listen to the stuff you brought them up on, and will you not appreciate what their taste in music is? It's good to read that kids appreciate the stuff their parents listened to, no matter what it is. Well, I hesitate on that one. (hip-hop of the worst kind comes to mind.)
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Previous

Return to Morrissey