Your opinions on the racism debacle, please

For all things concerning Moz's solo career.

Postby scavenger » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:37 pm

Although most of us would probably deny that Morrissey could ever be a racist, the controversy is there and I was curious about your opinions on the matter. I've only just recently be enlightened about the controversy that stirred up during Your Arsenal and also by this (http://www.motorcycleaupairboy.com/inte ... casian.htm) article. It’s rather upsetting that he would even associate himself with a group of people who promote racism and kind of makes me see him in a different light. Anyway, I was wondering what you all think about the whole controversy and if you think it would still be relevant today?
Oh, but don't mention love
I'd hate the pain of the strain all over again
A rush and a push and the land that
We stand on is ours
It has been before
So why can't it be now?
And people who are weaker than you or I
They take what they want from life
scavenger
Supreme

Postby Grim O'Grady » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:27 pm

I was at Mozzers gig in Liverpool in 1999 when he compared racism (amongst other things) to how disgusting the treatment of animals on their way to slaughter (before belting out Meat is Murder), everyone knows how much Morrissey loves animals & abhors their mistreatment so for me for him to make the comparison with racism just proved what a load of shite the 'racist tag' was & how it was a media fabrication & 'misquoted' quotes. Morrissey would never pander to the media roadshow & I guess that just added to the fire which they had created. So just has he will not answer their questions on his sexuality neither would he be drawn into their racist crap.

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boywiththethorninhisside » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:19 pm

^ Agreed.

He never went into his sexuality; never, to my mind, promoted child abuse or Hindley/Brady; never condoned racism. It was silly critics who either misinterpreted songs like The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, Suffer Little Children and Panic, or who were just plain out to take a dig at Morrissey / The Smiths.

Let's face it, much of his work is about as vague as you can get for such direct and hard-hitting lyrics, and the fact that he is so open to interpretation is at least part of what makes him such an enduringly fascinating character.
<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->www.myspace.com/gesekki<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
Boywiththethorninhisside
Regular

Postby scavenger » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:39 pm

I understand what you two are saying about the lyrics, I think they were misinterpreted as well. But then I came across this..."Even while denouncing racial prejudice in stirring fashion, he was wont to admit that he disliked Pakistanis. 'I don't hate Pakistanis, but I dislike them immensely' was his flippantly blunt adolescent observation (1977)." (Johnny Rogan, The Severed Alliance)

So, what do you think about this? By the way, I should mention I am not at all trying at all to say Moz is a racist, Im just trying to sort it all out.
Oh, but don't mention love
I'd hate the pain of the strain all over again
A rush and a push and the land that
We stand on is ours
It has been before
So why can't it be now?
And people who are weaker than you or I
They take what they want from life
scavenger
Supreme

Postby Grim O'Grady » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:23 am

hi Scavenger,
1977? So Rogan used a "quote" of Morrissey when he was 17 or 18 years old, obviously Rogan didn't hear it from Morrissey (I think we all know Mozzers feelings about Rogan), so how did he come by this "quote"?
I'd rather believe what Morrissey actually says not what a journalist (with selling books on his mind) says.

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:29 pm

was that the quote from his diary when he was 17, when he said something like, he liked most races but not pakistanis cos of the smell of their food? anyway it also said in the severed alliance that he had a relationship with a black girl, and everyone knows now that he likes mexicans, so he cant really be a racist if he goes out with other races can he?
anyway, that quote was when he was 17 or 18, he might have changed his mind now, it was a bloody long time ago. i know people who made silly comments about race at that age but are anti-racist now theyre a little older and a little more mature.
id also like to say, i reckon his lyrics are misinterpreted too. people say "panic" is racist cos of the line "burn down the disco", they say "disco is black music so he must hate blacks", but they're actually being racist themselves cos theyre stereotyping about what music is for what race. i know black people who listen to "white music" and white people who listen to "black music", so i think its racist to say that "disco is black music". anyway, whenever i think of "burn down the disco, hang the blessed dj", i think of godawful school discos that u go to when youre 13 or something, rather than guys with afros grooving to 1970s music under glitterballs (ah ah ah ah stayin alive stayin alive... lol!), probably cos its followed by the line "cos the music that they constantly play says nothing to me about my life". disco said something to black people about their lives, it brought the community together and gave them something to do and forget about their problems (racism, poverty, etc), before it became music for everyone (including whites) to get drunk to. so i dont think of disco music, i tend to think of "school disco" type disco. if you get what i mean. my typing skills have gone to pot tonight.
Last edited by helmoz on Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Return to Morrissey