"Viva Hate"

For all things concerning Moz's solo career.

Postby Miserable Liar » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:57 pm

I personally think this is the finest work i've heard from Morrissey since The Smiths parted. If I heard some of the songs off of "Viva Hate" on the radio without knowing they were by Morrissey I would've thought they were from a smith's album, it's that good.
If anyone has ever had the pleasure of hearing "Alsation Cousin", "Everyday is like Sunday" and "Suedehead", you may agree. Also, a very very fine song "Late night, Maudlin" has one the best lyrics and vocals Morrissey has done, including work with The Smiths.
If you haven't heard this album yet, I strongly suggest you pick it up.

And you?
Last edited by Miserable Liar on Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby clarky » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:05 pm

the first album he did after splitting with the smiths being his best? i wouldnt agree there

its a nice little album, the fact the songs are a bit more rocky than what there was in the smiths it helps define him a little....but some of the tracks dont measure up too well i dont think

and some of those extra tracks on the re-release are quite awful
clarky
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:42 pm

I think the word I'm looking for is 'meh'.

What I've heard of it is okay.
elko
Site Admin

Postby this_charming_girl » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:07 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Oct 9 2005, 09:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Oct 9 2005, 09:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I think the word I'm looking for is 'meh'.

What I've heard of it is okay. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
seeeeeee i said it's the best one, i'm clearly not the only one who thinks it - buy it damn u!! <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby HadjiQuest » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:00 am

Viva Hate is my favorite, too.

I know alot of more casual Smiths fans who loved Viva Hate but can't stand anything after it.
HadjiQuest
Supreme

Postby weasey » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:56 pm

I agree that viva hate is his best album. All of his vocals and lyrics here are wonderful, I loved the way he sounded at that time. I think with the excepton of maybe, 'margaret on the guiloutine' and 'I don't mind if you forget me', every song is one of his best.

It definitely my favourite morrissey album, he seemed to move along greatly from how he sounded on the later smiths records. Musically its very good, quite atmospheric and stirring at times, Everyday is like Sunday and Late Night Maudlin Street being excellent examples. What's more, two of his best loved and most popular singles are on it!

If it wasn't for the extended version I wouldn't have heard 'Girl least likely to' or 'I've changed my plea to guilty', two of my favourite mozzer songs, sadly relegated to b-sides.

The only record I own is viva hate (I don't actually have a record player) and it has the "EDUCATION IN REVERSE" etching. Is this on every original copy or just some?
"EDUCATION IN REVERSE"
weasey
Supreme

Postby Mozzerella » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:39 pm

I find Viva Hate very good. Like already mentioned Everyday is like Sunday, Late night, Maudlin Street and Suedehead are excellent. I personally love also Angel, Angel, down we go together.
<a href='http://www.last.fm/user/Mozaic/?chartstyle=MeatisMurder' target='_blank'>Image</a>
Mozzerella
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:47 pm

i like "viva hate", its a good album, just maybe less consistent than some of his other stuff, but still some great standouts like "everyday is like sunday", "suedehead", "angel, angel...", "maudlin street", "alsatian cousin"... the only track i dont really like much is "dial-a-cliche", and some of the bonus tracks are nothing special, altho i do love that live version of "disappointed" (always a great song!). i got it for £5 including delivery, so its not bad value for money either!
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:11 am

I am listening to Viva Hate right now and I must say that it is one of my absolute favorite Morrissey solo albums. Each song definately jerks my heart in different directions and has made me more attached to Morrissey lyrically than I ever imagined it would when I first heard it (initially I wasn not impressed... it was my seconds non-Smiths Morrissey CD). Angel, Angel is supposedly about Johnny- which makes it even more eerie and beautiful than ever. Even if you don't at all like this album, you would have to admit that it has some definately beautiful moments and definate wit.

5 Best Tracks: Alsatian Cousin *points to sig.*, Angel, Angel..., Late Night Maudlin Street (SO wonderful), I Don't Mind..., Break Up the Family. Musical gold.

So-So Tracks: Bengali, Hairdresser On Fire, Ordinary Boys, and Margaret (hilarious yet eh... not really for me)

Worst Tracks: NONE! The So-So tracks on this album are far better than the best tracks on most albums out there <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:23 am

Bengali and Hairdresser On Fire are not so-so tracks, I love those songs, they are SUPREME!
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:57 pm

Bengali In Platforms is rude and not in a witty/funny way.
"Life is hard enough when you beling here" = you don't belong.
"He does not want to depress youOh no no no no no He only wants to impress you" = look at the silly foreigner, how depressing is it that he is trying to fit in by wearing those ridiculous shoes? Aah, and he thinks that he is being impressive...silly fool!
"shelve your Western plans" = leave.
... not exactly the type of lyrics I enjoy listening to.
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:32 am

I have woken up to Viva Hate every day since a week or two before Midterms :-D
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Asleep » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:08 pm

Little man what now,Brilliant more like a poem.

Too old to be a child star
Too young to take leads
Four seasons passed
And they AXED you

Superb
<span style='font-family:Impact'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Oh, I can't help quoting you
Because everything that you said rings true </span>
</span>
Asleep
Advanced

Postby Miserable Liar » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:33 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Asleep+Dec 5 2005, 04:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Asleep @ Dec 5 2005, 04:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Little man what now,Brilliant more like a poem.

Too old to be a child star
Too young to take leads
Four seasons passed
And they AXED you

Superb <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Definetley one of the better tracks on that fine album, as compared to 'Dial-a-cliche' and 'Margaret on the guilotine' as they're both utter bollocks. Yes, it's brilliant, 'Alsation Cousin' is just perfect!
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Asleep » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:50 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-miserableliar+Dec 5 2005, 04:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (miserableliar @ Dec 5 2005, 04:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
Superb [/QUOTE]
Definetley one of the better tracks on that fine album, as compared to 'Dial-a-cliche' and 'Margaret on the guilotine' as they're both utter bollocks. Yes, it's brilliant, 'Alsation Cousin' is just perfect! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Dial a cliche is great dont no why not many like it.That what my phone says when i switch it on. <!--emo&:rolleyes:-->Image<!--endemo-->
<span style='font-family:Impact'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Oh, I can't help quoting you
Because everything that you said rings true </span>
</span>
Asleep
Advanced

Next

Return to Morrissey