Ringleader Of The Tormentors

For all things concerning Moz's solo career.

Postby HadjiQuest » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:01 pm

IT'S AWESOME!

Compared to You Are The Quarry, I think I like Ringleader a bit more. Quarry had a few spotty moments, and all-in-all didn't feel as cohessive as Moz's previous albums. Probably because it was a collection of various material he had written in his 7 years without a label. Of course, that thematic approach to the sound returns with this album.

Lyrically, he doesn't reach the same highs he did on Quarry's better tracks, but neither does he hit the lows of that album's worst. His vocal range isn't tested as much as it was on Quarry, either. I also have to say that lead-off single "You Have Killed Me" is one of my least favorite Mozzer tracks, ever. Luckily, the next two singles are much better.

It's fantastic to see him back to the tight, thematic approach to melody and lyrical content that was displayed so heavily in his earlier albums. I don't know why, but I really like digging for connections between tracks. I've always looked at his albums as concept albums.
HadjiQuest
Supreme

Postby Still Ill » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:33 pm

That's a nice little summation there, Matt. You add in interesting note regarding the concept album, too. I'm still waiting for mine in the mail, I didn't enjoy hearing it streamed through Amazon. I'm waiting for the full spectacle of sound that a stereo system can give!
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:37 pm

Still Ill wrote:That's a nice little summation there, Matt. You add in interesting note regarding the concept album, too. I'm still waiting for mine in the mail, I didn't enjoy hearing it streamed through Amazon. I'm waiting for the full spectacle of sound that a stereo system can give!

it's well worth that wait S.I. I did have it streamed but it's taken on a new spectacle of sound to quote you when you get it on cd!

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby HadjiQuest » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:58 am

Ohh my god, "In The Future When All's Well" is such a great song.

I can't stop listening to it.
HadjiQuest
Supreme

Postby Grim O'Grady » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:23 pm

who's the hoody?

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby some_dizzy_whore_1804 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:23 am

I got it Monday. It's beautiful!
the cover
the inside photo
the disc itself
the songs
his voice
the words
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The Dvd should be longer though :P
I love "I will see you in far off palces", "in the future when all is well", "life is a pigsty"and "I'll never be anybody's hero now"
I can't really compare it to "You are the Quarry" as i actually haven't heard it :unsure:

My favourite lines off the top of my head are:
I once thought that time accentuates despair, but now i don't actually care
Here everybody's friendly, but nobody's friends
It only hurts because it's true
Even now, in the final hour of my life i'm falling in love again
Living longer than i had intended- something must have gone right

And now you know the truth about me, you won't see me anymore!
But i'm still fond of you...oh oh
some_dizzy_whore_1804
Supreme

Postby Chorlton_Ruffian » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:34 pm

Had a couple of listens. My first reaction was 'Pretty good, but I expect more'.

It seems a bit samey to be honest, like he's gone down the safe route, tried and tested formula. Some good songs, good lyrics, good, but not great. I prefer YATQ.

The CD itself is ace though, little a tiny little vinyl.
<div align="center">Image</div>
<div align="center"><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->"I would rather eat my own testicles than reform The Smiths, and that's saying something for a vegetarian."<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
Chorlton_Ruffian
Supreme

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:35 am

I got it today. I think it's a very nice album. I will make some more comments about it after a few more listens. 'Life is a Pigsty' is really something. One of the more interesting things about this record is the production, I really like the sound.
I always try to avoid comparisons, so I won't say anything like that You are The Quarry is better, etc.
Holly Golightly

Postby Still Ill » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:26 pm

I finally got it late yesterday. Listened to it last night on my iPod twice. I snuck in some Southpaw Grammar and Your Arsenal as well. It is a powerfully loud album. It's a different mood than YATQ, upbeat, very rock-oriented, which I liked alot. Can't wait to play it on the stereo, loud. I had some liner notes going through my head as I heard it last night that I'll have to share later.

I really like 'In The Future When All's Well' and 'Life Is a Pigsty'.

Incidentally, the CD to the single is a replica of a 45", really cool! I wish they'd done that with the album as well.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby weasey » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:40 pm

Still Ill wrote: Incidentally, the CD to the single is a replica of a 45", really cool! I wish they'd done that with the album as well.

I got the special edition of the album which is a replica of a 45". I must say that the packaging is really something. I'm a big fan asthetics which may be the reason, but for those who lumped for the boring ol' jewel case version, it's like a gate fold vinyll sleeve, you open it up and theres a picture of Moz on a vespa in front of grafitti which reads 'SMASH BUSH' (quick! somebody phone the FBI!). Tucked in to one side is the CD in a further sleeve (just like a proper record), which is covered in little 'M's and the liner notes and in the otherside resides the DVD and a little poster (just the cover art).

The DVD was a little bit on the short side, though both 'behind the scenes' videos, are better than the actual videos themselves. Good for Alan and Gary fans I think, if you like to see Gary doing up his shirt cuffs...

On reading the lyrics (always enlightening) what I thought was 'Lead, please, stand up and defend me' on listening, is in fact 'Lee, please, stand up and defend me'. Who the hell is Lee? any guesses?
Last edited by weasey on Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"EDUCATION IN REVERSE"
weasey
Supreme

Postby ZippyDoo » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:24 am

HadjiQuest wrote:I think this may be his greatest album yet.

I would agree with that.

HadjiQuest wrote:IT'S AWESOME!

Lyrically, he doesn't reach the same highs he did on Quarry's better tracks, but neither does he hit the lows of that album's worst. His vocal range isn't tested as much as it was on Quarry, either. I also have to say that lead-off single "You Have Killed Me" is one of my least favorite Mozzer tracks, ever. Luckily, the next two singles are much better.

Yes, though I have to say what I thought were lows on Quarry turned out to be highs too. The album really grew on me. Ringleaders was immmediately gripping though.
ZippyDoo

Postby Sweet and Tender Hooligan » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:14 am

I think we should congratulate Morrissey for getting NO 1 in ALBUMS CHART :D:d:d

i didnt see top of the pops but my mum told me as i was in the shower at the time :(

STILL ITS NICE TO SEE that hes no 1 again.
I'm spellbound, but a woman divides
And the hills are alive with celibate cries
Sweet and Tender Hooligan
Supreme

Postby sonandheir » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:31 am

Sweet and Tender Hooligan wrote:I think we should congratulate Morrissey for getting NO 1 in ALBUMS CHART :D:d:d

i didnt see top of the pops but my mum told me as i was in the shower at the time :(

STILL ITS NICE TO SEE that hes no 1 again.

I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned this! :blink:

Yes, congratulations Moz - it just goes to show that the British charts aren't completely fucked up. Shame about the American result though.
<span style='color:blue'>"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi</span>
sonandheir
Supreme

Postby Still Ill » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:25 pm

Debuts at #27 on the Billboard pop charts.

<a href="http://billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?g=Albums&f=The+Billboard+200" target="_blank">Here's</a> a link if you're remotely interested in what's 'hot' in the U.S.
I guess I'm more than happy to live in my little own little musical bubble. I have no clue who Rascal Flatts are.

I won't bother trying to understand the charts. I never have. But I'd have thought ROTT would have fared better than that. It's a better album than YATQ, in my opinion, and despite the streams of his album available, I would have thought it would attract more sales. Maybe they'll continue to go up, instead of plummet out of sight in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited by Still Ill on Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:25 pm

Not interested. Not like he needs the money.

Most of the feedback I've heard seems to be simply 'it's alright'. Which as far as I'm concerned means it's not much good.
elko
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Morrissey