Review of the Tulsa show

For all things concerning Moz's solo career.

Postby chautauqua » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:37 pm

The Tulsa show was amazing. The venue, Cain's Ballroom, is one of the coolest I have ever been to. Unbelieveable history. Apparently, it is the only remaining venue from the Sex Pistols tour of America.

Below is a review from the local paper there:

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Blood, sweat & cheers
By MATT GLEASON World Scene Writer
3/15/2006

Morrissey wore his concert effort on his sleeve and down his back
Morrissey's dry, button-down dress shirt slowly turned from blue to a wet, dark shade of purple as perspiration soaked the iconic British crooner's back and then spread to every single thread.

That shirt turned out to be a barometer, of sorts, for measuring the energy, passion and, well, sweat that Morrissey put into his impressive, hour-and-20-minute concert Monday night at the Cain's Ballroom.

And that sweaty, body-clinging shirt wasn't just a measuring tool. It was a vital piece in the Morrissey tool-kit-of-seduction. Every button Morrissey undid, the V-shaped exposure of chest grew.

Man, all that acreage of skin must have driven his admirers batty with desire, and it certainly proved to others that Morrissey's the Don Juan of muscled, '80s-style pop.

That poor, dapper shirt began the evening tucked into blue jeans, but it wouldn't remain dry or tucked-in once the solidly-built, mid-40s rocker with flecks of gray in his dark, styled hair began the show.

It was the first concert of Morrissey's new tour, so the crowd didn't quite know what to expect from the former Smiths singer and his band, the Tormentors.

By night's end, though, the Cain's audience would be the first to hear a huge chunk of Morrissey's forthcoming album, "Ringleader of the Tormentors," and the first to know what Smiths-era gems Morrissey would play on this tour.

For those who scored an advance copy of the new disc -- that's me -- or illegally downloaded it, those new songs held up with most of the older material.

However, one wonders if it was wise to play more than half of the new record before it actually comes out.

It's understandable why he did -- he's Morrissey, and he can darn well play what he wants, and we'll love it anyway -- but it might have left some fans in the crowd wondering why he preferred to play unfamiliar new tunes to older, unplayed cuts such as "The More You Ignore Me, the Closer I Get" or "The Last of the Famous International Playboys."

Nonetheless, the fans ate it up.

How could they not?

Morrissey prowled the stage with a dancer's control of the body, an actor's sense of drama and humor, and an aging star's understanding that the fans are why he's still relevant more than 20 years after the Smiths released its debut 1984 album.

Despite playing a slew of new material, Morrissey treated the crowd to a handful of Smiths classics: "Still Ill," "Girlfriend in a Coma," "How Soon Is Now?" and the lone encore song, "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before."

How could he play just one encore song?

Anyway, one of the show's many highlights came during the let-the-witch-die tune "Girlfriend in a Coma," when a feigning-sincerity Morrissey sang the line, "I know, it's serious," as he devilishly rubbed his arse and then licked the hand that bid her farewell.

As far as his older solo material went, Morrissey mostly focused on songs from his 2004 deluxe edition of, "You Are the Quarry," which included "Irish Blood, English Heart," "My Life Is a Succession of People Saying Goodbye," "I Have Forgiven Jesus," "Let Me Kiss You" and "First of the Gang to Die."

The compelling "I Have Forgiven Jesus" found the singer having an onstage conversation with the Almighty. He cast his gaze heavenward and asked, "Why did you give me so much desire when there is nowhere I can go to offload this desire?"

It seemed he was offloading and creating quite a bit Monday night.

To punctuate the song, drummer Matt Walker dramatically banged the huge gong that dangled on the wall behind him.

The remaining live tracks included "Reader Meet Author" off "Southpaw Grammar;" "Trouble Loves Me" off "Maladjusted" and "Suedehead" from "Viva Hate."

With just the encore left to play, you could have squeezed a glass of salty water from Morrissey's drenched shirt.

It was, it seemed, definitely time for a new shirt. But instead of snagging a new one off stage, the singer tore it off and tossed it into the crowd.

It was indeed a scorching ending to an unforgettable hot-and-heavy set. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
chautauqua

Postby Grim O'Grady » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:07 am

excellent, thanks for that Chaut, wish I'd have been there.

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Return to Morrissey