No Canadian gigs

For all things concerning Moz's solo career.

Postby Mozzerella » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:20 pm

Many of you have probably seen this on True To You. What do you think of it?

Statement from Morrissey:

"We will not include any Canadian dates on our world tour to promote our new album. This is in protest against the barbaric slaughter of over 325,000 baby seals which is now underway.
I fully realise that the absence of any Morrissey concerts in Canada is unlikely to bring the Canadian economy to its knees, but it is our small protest against this horrific slaughter - which is the largest slaughter of marine animal species found anywhere on the planet.
The Canadian Prime Minister says the so-called "cull" is economically and environmentally justified, but this is untrue.
The seal population has looked after itself for thousand of years without human intervention, and, as the world knows, this slaughter is about one thing only: making money. The Canadian government will stream all of the pelts into the fashion industry and this is the reason why the baby seals are killed with spiked clubs that crush their skulls - any damage to their pelts is avoided. The Canadian Prime Minister also states that the slaughter is necessary because it provides jobs for local communities, but this is an ignorant reason for allowing such barbaric and cruel slaughter of beings that are denied life simply because somebody somewhere might want to wear their skin.
Construction of German gas chambers also provided work for someone - this is not a moral or sound reason for allowing suffering.
If you can, please boycott Canadian goods. It WILL make a difference. As things stand, Canada has placed itself alongside China as the cruelest and most self-serving nation."
<a href='http://www.last.fm/user/Mozaic/?chartstyle=MeatisMurder' target='_blank'>Image</a>
Mozzerella
Smiths Nut!

Postby Rodchenko » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:42 pm

Fantastic. The fans shouldn't suffer for the governments ill-adviced decisions... But something must be done. It's great that he takes a stand.
Last edited by Rodchenko on Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mozzerella » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:59 pm

I agree. I think he's made a right decision not to play any gigs over there although the slaughter wasn't Smiths' fans' fault. But it's just horrific and unacceptable.
<a href='http://www.last.fm/user/Mozaic/?chartstyle=MeatisMurder' target='_blank'>Image</a>
Mozzerella
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:34 am

If I were a canadian fan, I would be truly dissapointed. Morrissey's fans' don't kill seals, no matter where they live.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:05 pm

Lies!! All lies! I kill seals every day! Little fuzzy baby seals.

Seriously though-- sucks for Canadian fans, but maybe if a lot of celebrities rally against this, it will at least shrink in proportions if not stop. I mean, if we already have Mozza and Bridgette Bardot on it, maaaaaybe others will follow...

PS-- Remind anyone of a certain Morrissey music video? Interesting Drug, anyone?
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby chrisarclark » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:22 pm

Pashernate_Lover wrote:Seriously though-- sucks for Canadian fans, but maybe if a lot of celebrities rally against this, it will at least shrink in proportions if not stop. I mean, if we already have Mozza and Bridgette Bardot on it, maaaaaybe others will follow...

that is extremely naive. Moz and Macca and Bardot and Pam wont make a lick of difference. its unbelievable how these uneducated celebrities think that what they hav to say is made important by the simple fact that they are celebrities. if anything, their celebrity status often undermines their political views.
"I'm just passing through here on my way to somewhere civilized and maybe I'll even arrive, maybe I'll even arrive..."
chrisarclark
Advanced

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:36 pm

Yes, but imagine how many people will know about it if more than 4 famous people say "helloooooooo--- do you see what's going on here?!?!"-- and it's not naive to think that if a lot of people got behind a cause some amount of difference will be made.

And how educated do celebrities have to be to understand that for economic gains people are clubbing baby seals-- sounds pretty straight forward to me, unless there is some hidden facet of something like "and then the baby seals light up and lo the voice of the Almighty speaks to its killer and gives them puppies and candy bars and scented soap." Come on, man.
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Melanie » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:34 pm

As a Canadian I just have to say that I support Moz fully for taking a stand.

On the other hand I am very dissapointed that I will have to pay the price for
our Government's decision to support this very cruel and inhumane act of barbarism.
It is misunderstood that all Canadian's feel the same way our Government does.
Most Canadian's do not. It is a Arctic North & Maritime tradition and they are the majority that support it.
They have been doing it for centuries and unfortunately this is how they make their living.

The only thing that I don't understand is why Moz chose to take a stand now, because the last time he came to Canada and all the time's before that, the slaughter was taking place. Okay, so he just found out about it now, I guess?

Our Government doesn't care if Morrissey does not come to Canada, it's no skin off their back's( pun intended ). The only people that are suffering ( beside's the poor seal's) are his Canadian fans. I wish Moz would reconsider and protest in a different manner, perhaps? It's not fair to punish his fans in this way. Myself and millions of other Canadian's support Moz by buying his albums, merchandise, concert tickets, but in return we do not get to see him live? Seems wrong.

However, like I said I support Moz in whatever way he chooses to go about things, whether I agree with it or not. Really I'm just sad that I do not get to see him this time around. Although I am seriously considering purchasing a ticket for a show in the States. But then the money goes to the American economy.
Oh well, what is one to do?

Oh and another thing on this topic...

The seal hunt brought $20.3 million in revenue last year. Fishermen are able to sell their pelts, mostly for the fashion industry in Norway, Russia and China, as well as blubber for oil, earning about $84 a seal.

So in reality Norway, Russia and China are supporting the seal hunt. Will he be touring in there?

The Federal Government maintains that Canada's seal population is healthy and abundant, with nearly six million of the creatures in the Arctic north and maritime provinces.

Regulations require the sealers to kill the seals quickly, with a pick or bullet to the brain. The pups must be more than two to three weeks old and have shed their white downy fur.

The seal population is healthy & abundant so it's okay for the sealers to kill the seals quickly with a pick or bullet to the brain???! That's just right messed up. Quite possibly the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my entire life on this planet. And why on earth in this day in age do people need blubber for oil and pelts for the fashion industry...Absolutely Vile!

That's just my two cents.
Peace
<!--fonto:Book Antiqua--><span style="font-family:Book Antiqua"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#6600CC--><span style="color:#6600CC"><!--/coloro--><!--fonto:Arial Narrow--><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><!--/fonto-->i am a poor, freezingly cold soul
so far from where i intended to go...<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Melanie

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:05 pm

To the Canadians: barbarism begins at home! :unsure:

Seriously now, I think it's great what Morrissey does. I mean, celebrities are loved by people, and if they talk about really important things, people will listen and think about it as well. That way you can get people to stand on the barricades. Morrissey knows his voice will be heard by thousands of people, and that of those people a fair part will follow his stand and also revolt.

I think more celebrities should do this. Yes, Paul McCartney, Bono, Morrissey, Bod Geldof, Brigitte Bardot, ... stand up for their believes. Unfortunately the majority of celebrities is as vacuum as can be and talk about nonsense all the time. I never ever heard an interesting point of view out of the mouth of Britney Spears, Snoop Dogg or Fred Durst. At least people like Morrissey use their fame to promote the ideals they believe in, I think more people should do that.

The only point of inconsequence is that the US should be boycotted as well. They don't kill seals, but kill their own citizens at Death Row, which is horrible just as well.
Last edited by Cracked Pleasures on Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Domestique » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:24 pm

Cracked Pleasures wrote:To the Canadians: barbarism begins at home! :unsure:

Seriously now, I think it's great what Morrissey does. I mean, celebrities are loved by people, and if they talk about really important things, people will listen and think about it as well. That way you can get people to stand on the barricades. Morrissey knows his voice will be heard by thousands of people, and that of those people a fair part will follow his stand and also revolt.

I think more celebrities should do this. Yes, Paul McCartney, Bono, Morrissey, Bod Geldof, Brigitte Bardot, ... stand up for their believes. Unfortunately the majority of celebrities is as vacuum as can be and talk about nonsense all the time. I never ever heard an interesting point of view out of the mouth of Britney Spears, Snoop Dogg or Fred Durst. At least people like Morrissey use their fame to promote the ideals they believe in, I think more people should do that.

The only point of inconsequence is that the US should be boycotted as well. They don't kill seals, but kill their own citizens at Death Row, which is horrible just as well.

Thank god they haven't been waiting for celebrities to show the way in Kathmandu over the past few days, eh? Ordinary people taking a stand off their own bat - it's outrageous!
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Sucrose/?chartstyle=basicrt10" target="_blank"> Image </a>
Domestique
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:33 am

<_<

No one is saying that. But what do you want then? That someone who happens to be famous just shuts his mouth or talks about the most useless stuff (like the average pop star these days) or that they talk about what's really important to them? Celebrities are only humans and have their ideals and believes, it's not wrong to come out for them. FFS, you make it sound like all celebrities coming out for what they believe in are just seeking attention ; I much rather have people like Bono or Morrissey who have something to say than people like Britney who literarly said "doing my own household and bringing the dog to the vet showed me how hard life can be"...
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:55 pm

Melanie wrote:The only thing that I don't understand is why Moz chose to take a stand now, because the last time he came to Canada and all the time's before that, the slaughter was taking place. Okay, so he just found out about it now, I guess?

Nope. Watch the Interesting Drug video-- he's known.
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Return to Morrissey