Morrissey's Inspiration

For all things concerning Moz's solo career.

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:05 am

"EVERY DAY IS LIKE SUNDAY IS A DIRECT QUOTE FROM L. FRANK BAUM'S WIZARD OF OZ #6!!! aka The Emerald City Of Oz....I JUST READ IT WITH MY OWN BESPECTACLED EYES!" (Old Pashy Quote)

And a more recent discovery while reading the Dharma Bums was a quote about how he refrains from sex because sex brings life and life brings death, so PRETTY GIRLS MAKE GRAVES.

I shit you not I was so excited I almost yelled "WOOHOO" on the cramped up little Greyhound bus when I discovered that.

So, anyone else have similar experiences in unexpectedly finding what makes the genius tick?
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Rodchenko » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:14 am

A Taste Of Honey is classic reference. Seen it?
By Grand Central Station, I Sat Down And Wept by Elizabeth Smart is another one.

These films/books is filled with quotes etc...
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

Postby HandsomeDevil » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:21 pm

The Carry-On films.
'As Anthony said to Cleopatra as he opened a crate of ale.....Oh I say'
HandsomeDevil
Supreme

Postby Rodchenko » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:32 am

But isn't the "ooh, I say!" bit from A Taste Of Honey? Jo's mother calls out "Oh, I say" after finding Jo's drawings.
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:19 pm

morrissey's warped mind?
I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:40 pm

"Oh, I say" sounds very Carry On.

Films like Billy Liar, The Butterfly Collector, Saturday Night And Sunday Morning have been stated/proved as influences, though I can't say I've seen any of them.
elko
Site Admin

Postby chicken » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:25 am

i've two books on genius i've yet to read. :(

though i have read that genius can be put into one of two categories: the spontaneous, like mozart; or the laboured, like beethoven.

at one time i would have thought for the smiths genius was a group dynamic (thought i'm still not willing to rule that out), but after knowing morrissey's solo work better....i think it rests on his shoulders squarely.

perhaps genius is about disregarding social norms.
perhaps genius is about unreasonable intuition.
perhaps genius is about having deeper than normal roots, and greener than green leaves.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:16 pm

chicken wrote:i've two books on genius i've yet to read. :(

though i have read that genius can be put into one of two categories: the spontaneous, like mozart; or the laboured, like beethoven.

In which case Morrissey would be put in the latter? Certainly doesn't sound anything like spontaneous, in the way that perhaps ....Jeff Mangum might be. But I suppose it goes beyond mere writing styles.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->at one time i would have thought for the smiths genius was a group dynamic (thought i'm still not willing to rule that out), but after knowing morrissey's solo work better....i think it rests on his shoulders squarely. <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
But.....Johnny! Listen to him play! He's a genius too!!
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:34 am

Yes, Johnny!
I'm trying to figure out how Morrissey's writing is considered laboured? I thought he found it easy to write, whether lyrics, or in his journals.

I'm still labouring over Saint. Morrissey, just because of time (I'm also tackling the Da Vinci code, hoping to finish before the movie's released). But in the Morrissey book, I was surprised to learn where the Arctic Monkey's album title came from, and now I can't remember who's quote it was that apparently Morrissey was influenced by!
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Shakespeare's Sister » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:10 am

I'm pretty sure he gets his fondness of the word vulgar from Oscar Wilde.
<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Well I'm not listening no more<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
Shakespeare's Sister
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:52 am

Still Ill wrote:Yes, Johnny!
I'm trying to figure out how Morrissey's writing is considered laboured? I thought he found it easy to write, whether lyrics, or in his journals.

I'm still labouring over Saint. Morrissey, just because of time (I'm also tackling the Da Vinci code, hoping to finish before the movie's released). But in the Morrissey book, I was surprised to learn where the Arctic Monkey's album title came from, and now I can't remember who's quote it was that apparently Morrissey was influenced by!

It's a line from one of those sixties films, think it might be 'Saturday Night and Sunday Morning'.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Domestique » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:48 pm

elko wrote:<!--quoteo(post=23405:date=Apr 10 2006, 09:34 AM:name=Still Ill)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Still Ill @ Apr 10 2006, 09:34 AM) [snapback]23405[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Yes, Johnny!

It's a line from one of those sixties films, think it might be 'Saturday Night and Sunday Morning'.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aye, it were Albert Finney wot said it :P
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Sucrose/?chartstyle=basicrt10" target="_blank"> Image </a>
Domestique
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:13 am

albert finney = absolute genius.

k, that said:
i'm not sure if moz is a laboured genius. but don't mistake 'laboured' as something unpleasant, in fact, it can be utterly savoury. i was just commenting on what i know about genius in general.

which is why i'm posting again: something about genius.
very generally speaking, a typical genius tends to be lacking on other skills--usually social skills, but sometimes 'common sense' skills. this is well illustrated through the lives of such as da vinci (anyone know what his name means?), mozart, einstein, newton, or whitman. then again, that's such a general statement as to be almost meaningless.
recently though, brain research has revealed that the development of one's physical brain prior to adulthood differs in normal children versus smart children. it's rather counter-intuitive, but we now know the difference in anatomical development of the brains of moz versus prince. :ph34r: oops. did i say that?
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Return to Morrissey