explain to me how the morrissey songwriting process works

For all things concerning Moz's solo career.

Postby convergence » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:48 am

I know he doesn't play any instruments obviously, but does he write any of the music, and if not what sort of direction does it take when it comes to that? Or does he let his collaborator do all that before he adds his vocal melodies and lyrics?
convergence
Advanced

Postby sonandheir » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:21 am

Apart from the odd instrumental appearance (e.g. playing the piano on "Death Of A Disco Dancer") and adding sound effects to the songs, I don't think he is involved in the music process. I do know however that he usually writes the lyrics after receiving the music.
<span style='color:blue'>"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi</span>
sonandheir
Supreme

Postby weasey » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:50 pm

I think his musicians generally write the song, send it to Morrissey (when writing The Queen Is Dead, Johnny Marr said he would ride to Morrissey's house on his moped and drop tapes through his letter box), then he comes up with the lyrics. He said recently that he comes up with his melodies and lyrics in the bath, he also said that he tends to start with a title.

Once he's put his vocals on then other effects might be added which work specifically with the theme of the song. For example, the sound of a guilotine at the end of 'Margeret on the...' was Morrissey's idea (nice and literal, a moment when Morrissey wasn't being vague)

He is pretty anti being a musician I think. He's been bemoaning the way musical instruments detract from relating with the audience lately, although he's quite partial to the odd tambourine or pair of maracas!
"EDUCATION IN REVERSE"
weasey
Supreme

Return to Morrissey