I Will See You In Far Off Places

For all things concerning Moz's solo career.

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:51 pm

Nobody knows what human life is.
Why we come, why we go.
So why then do I know
I will see you,
I will see you in far off places?

The heart knows why I grieve
And yes one day I will close my eyes forever
But I will see you
I will see you in far off places.

It's so easy for us to sit together
But it's so hard for our hearts to combine
And why?
And why?
Why? Why? Why? Why?

Destiny for some is to save lives
But destiny for some is to end lives
But there is no end
And I will see you in far off places.

If your god bestows protection upon you
And if the USA doesn't bomb you
I believe I will see you somewhere safe
Looking to the camera, messing around
And pulling faces.

Since the release of the new album, the song I've seen discussed at most places is definitely the opening track.

The content of the song is partly clear, partly hidden. The guitars give the song a very Middle-Eastern touch, as the riffs create a sound that is close to the classic Arabian folk instruments, and the song sets an imaginary landscape of some metropolis in the Middle-East with its typical little narrow alleys and mysterious landscapes and sceneries surrounding the city.

One of the possible explanations I see re-occuring on many Morrissey communities, is that quite some people see an anti-American statement in the song, a statement made somewhat between the lines by referring to Osama Bin Laden. It seems many people see in the song a sort of message that Osama is still alive and kicking out there, and planning further actions.

Do you all think this makes sense? I have my doubts personally. Although I do understand where these people's interpretation comes from ("if the USA doesn't bomb you" and "looking to the camera" are quite obvious to be possible references to Bin Laden, whereas "destiny for some is to end lives" can be a clear reference to Bin Laden or to his western counterparts involved in the whole conflict) the song is not making clear that there is a reference to Bin Laden to be seen. The song has an eastern touch, but it could be about anyone in that area, such as a distant friend or lover who lives in the Arabian world and whom Morrissey hopes to see again someday if he/she survives the ongoing war (or semi-war) in the area. The song could be an anti-American statement, but it's very well hidden between the lines. And even the motivation that the anti-US feelings would be expressed by refering to their enemy, are not sure to be true, as if it is about Osama, it's again very well hidden between the lines.

The song is as mysterious as the music guiding the lyrics, but the common census at a different Morrissey chat place was that it'd be about Bin Laden. What do you all think?
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby chrisarclark » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:24 pm

the song is defintely addressed to Bin Laden or some other would-be Islamic terrorist involved in the war against the United States and its democratic allies (irealize labelling with the word "terrorists" is loaded and shows a bias, but ill continue to do so becos its easier and ido hold sucha bias). it sympathizes with the terrorists situation, seems to indicate a certain love of the terrorists and wishes saftey for them. the only question is from whos perspective is the song written, Morrissey's or a imagined persona.

while it is more palatable for me to believe that he has written the song from the perspective of a young arab terrorist supporter, given his recent statements defaming Bush and Blair, sympathizing with terrorists and supporting animal rights terrorist groups in the UK, itend to believe that he is delivering the lyric from his own persepctive. frankly, ifind that a little disgusting. Morrissey's politics are so so misguided of recent. its almost as if he is simply trying to portray some ridiculous extremist persona in order to provoke the most adverse response possible in name of attention. iknow he's always been radical, but lately he's juste been plain assinine. its embarassing, especially when he's pushing 50. he couldve gotten away with this sorta thing a lot better 20 or so years ago, but now ireally wonder why it is that Moz cant grow up- even a little. he seems to gettin more immature as the years pass on.

that said, its a great song. as misguided as it is, its still quite powerful and executed perfectly. ican take it for that and put my own spin to it. its fine, and admirable, to hav some sympathy for the other side of things, but only so much as it allows a greater perspective and appreciation. on this issue, to actually side with a lunatic like Bin Laden is absolutely reprehensible- but thats democracy for yah.
"I'm just passing through here on my way to somewhere civilized and maybe I'll even arrive, maybe I'll even arrive..."
chrisarclark
Advanced

Postby chicken » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:21 pm

i'm certainly glad a canadian said that instead of an american.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:39 pm

I do respect him for daring to be different, even at his age. People associate daring to go against the stream with a teenage-thing-to-do, but chasing and defending your ideals is something of all ages really.

However, I don't think we should see the song about directly supporting Osama Bin Laden. I doubt even that it is about him. It could be a bit of bizarre humor as well: insinuating it's about him, whereas the true content of the lyric may be completely innocent. Guess we'll never know unless Moz reveals the history of the song sometime. But I find it hard to imagine it'd be a direct kudos for Bin Laden. I dislike Bush and Blair myself, I think half of the world does, but that doesn't justify approving terrorist acts that cost innocent people's lives. I think approving that would be a bridge too far even for people like Morrissey who dare to stir controversy.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Wed May 03, 2006 1:42 am

I think it's funny, that's all.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Return to Morrissey