Johnny & Modest Mouse

For all he has done since The Smiths.

Postby rubygirl » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:05 pm

A nice

<a href="http://www.harpmagazine.com/articles/detail.cfm?article_id=5114" target="_blank">interview </a>

with JM about it :)
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:45 pm

I know most celebrities/musicians like to keep their lives private, but it was nice to read what his family thought of this new venture. I liked how wife Angie thought things were getting boring lately!
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Fri May 04, 2007 7:08 pm

Modest Mouse performance of 'Dashboard' on David Letterman, from youtube. I know you've all seen it already, right?

I have to say, Johnny looks a teeny bit uncomfortable, or at least seemingly humble. :)

<a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=mmm_SjUAK7I" target="_blank">press</a>
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby appleblonde » Fri May 18, 2007 6:29 am

Still Ill wrote:So, if anyone comes across any reviews of the MM gigs, please advise!
I would have thought something would have been mentioned about Johnny's first gig with them.

I saw Johnny Marr with Modest Mouse in Austin May 9. I arrived at the venue early and snuck around back just to check out the venue. I chatted with security for a few minutes, and then I noticed Johnny Marr sitting about 10 feet from me talking on his cell phone. I asked security if I could get an autograph, but they wouldn't let me through. As Johnny started to walk away my friend started screaming his name, but he continued with his phone conversation as he wandered around and finally hid from us in the tour bus. I took a pic of him on his cell ha ha.

The show was amazing. He was up front by the singer sharing the crowd's attention. He danced to the music in his usual style and changed guitars between each song. I could have melted when he spoke briefly between a few of the songs ha ha. Security told me that there would be a meet and greet after the show, but the show itself was cut short due to the pouring rain. Though I never got to meet Johnny or get an autograph, it was a great night and an amazing opportunity for me. I will see Andy Rourke DJ in Austin next week followed by Morrissey just 2 days later on the same stage that Johnny, with MM, performed.
goodnight and thank you
appleblonde

Postby appleblonde » Fri May 18, 2007 6:49 am

appleblonde wrote:<!--quoteo(post=36315:date=Nov 6 2006, 09:55 PM:name=Still Ill)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Still Ill @ Nov 6 2006, 09:55 PM) [snapback]36315[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
So, if anyone comes across any reviews of the MM gigs, please advise!
I would have thought something would have been mentioned about Johnny's first gig with them.

I saw Johnny Marr with Modest Mouse in Austin May 9. I arrived at the venue early and snuck around back just to check out the venue. I chatted with security for a few minutes, and then I noticed Johnny Marr sitting about 10 feet from me talking on his cell phone. I asked security if I could get an autograph, but they wouldn't let me through. As Johnny started to walk away my friend started screaming his name, but he continued with his phone conversation as he wandered around and finally hid from us in the tour bus. I took a pic of him on his cell ha ha.

The show was amazing. He was up front by the singer sharing the crowd's attention. He danced to the music in his usual style and changed guitars between each song. I could have melted when he spoke briefly between a few of the songs ha ha. Security told me that there would be a meet and greet after the show, but the show itself was cut short due to the pouring rain. Though I never got to meet Johnny or get an autograph, it was a great night and an amazing opportunity for me. I will see Andy Rourke DJ in Austin next week followed by Morrissey just 2 days later on the same stage that Johnny, with MM, performed.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Here's the pic...
<a href="http://imageshack.us" target="_blank">Image</a>
Last edited by appleblonde on Fri May 18, 2007 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
goodnight and thank you
appleblonde

Postby elko » Sat May 19, 2007 2:16 pm

Was the set all new stuff? I wonder how much old Modest Mouse he has had to learn. Not that they are bad songs, I just wonder how happy he'd be playing someone else's music every night for months on end. I also wonder how he's coping with a (by his standards) young band out on the road, when he doesn't want any part of the rock'n'roll lifestyle any more.

Nice picture too, how does Johnny always have style, whatever he does?
elko
Site Admin

Postby weasey » Thu May 31, 2007 1:00 pm

I went to see Modest Mouse in Manchester on Tuesday night. I went with my friend Sarah who is obsessed with them. They played a fanstastic show, the way they interpret the songs on stage is really impressive, two drummers on separate kits, key boards, trumpets, an accordian...Isaac and Johnny, resulting in a rich sound which really brings them to life. They played at the Ritz which is where the Smiths played on of their first gigs almost 25 years ago, making it more momentous for me. It's an excellent venue, quite small with a balcony and a sprung dance floor, which, when the capacity crowd got going, felt like a wooden trampoline. Isaac appeared to have been on the receiving end of something quite violent, possibly a right hook, because a black, piratesque eye patch struggled to cover a very nasty looking black eye. His voice was also very impressive and intense, although he was quite quiet between songs, but Johnny was happy to fill in the gaps. He seemed quite chuffed at the enthusiatic response of a Manchunian crowd, stopping at one point to see if he recognised anybody. He pointed to a couple of people, and to one of them said 'you owe me money!' He thanked Manchester several times for giving them such a great time. It was just great to see Johnny play, he oozes coolness and looks great, effortlessly stylish in personalised trainers (made for him by the manufacturer!)

After the gig my friend wanted to wait for Isaac to come out so I stayed with her, thinking I might meet Johnny. The Ritz backs on to a canal (...ahh Manchester!) so the front door was the only exit. After about 45 minutes Johnny came out before the rest of the band, by himself and carrying a guitar case, I approached him and he said hello and I asked him to sign my ticket, which he graciously did, asking my name so he could make it out to me specifically. He asked what I thought of the show ('it was brilliant) and said he was suprised by the great response they got as he didn't realise Modest Mouse were so popular in England. My friend hastened to add that she'd been a fan for years. I wasn't sure what to say to him so I just thanked him and shook his hand (which, like the rest of him, was tiny, I half expected him to have six fingers...just five like the rest of us) . He was really friendly and pleased to talk to people, he also seemed quite happy, probably on a high from the blinding show he'd just played. He stayed for a few moments and then thanked everyone for waiting for him, before jumping in a car and driving off. It was quite surreal, because he seemed so natural and cool when I was talking to him it wasn't until he sped off that the significance off what happened struck me...'That was Johnny Marr!!!'

I'm still in awe of what happened and feel very lucky to have met him, I urge everyone to go and see him play, just to appreciate a guitar hero.

Weasey.
(I have some photos which I'll post later)
Last edited by weasey on Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"EDUCATION IN REVERSE"
weasey
Supreme

Postby Still Ill » Thu May 31, 2007 8:49 pm

Aw Weasey, that was nice to read--thanks for sharing. He does seem to be so down to earth as I've heard people who've met him say.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:55 pm

We want photos! We want photos!

Nice little review that, you oughta be a journ-o-list or sumfink.
elko
Site Admin

Postby weasey » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:52 pm

Alright, here they are, as promised, some photographs taken by me with a camera (my friend took a couple of them, she may or may not be a better photographer than me)

I'm afraid y'all have to follow this here link to a photobucket account I created specially just so I could show off my wonderful pictures:

<a href="http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x182/weasey65/" target="_blank">http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x182/weasey65/</a>
"EDUCATION IN REVERSE"
weasey
Supreme

Postby madmancmonkey » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:01 pm

cool pics Louise.
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Re: Johnny & Modest Mouse

Postby Lorimoz » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:23 pm

R.E.M. will tour North America this May and June in support of Accelerate, their new record which is set to be released on April 1. The band will be joined on the North American tour by Modest Mouse and The National. Please stay tuned to remhq.com for more details.

May

23--Vancouver--Deer Lake Park
29--Los Angeles--Hollywood Bowl
31--Berkeley--The Greek Theatre

June

03--Denver--Red Rocks Amphitheatre
06--Chicago--United Center
08--Toronto--Molson Amphitheatre
10--Raleigh--Walnut Creek Amphitheatre
11--Washington, DC--Merriweather Post Pavilion
13--Boston--Tweeter Center for the Performing Arts
14--Long Island--Jones Beach Theater