Johnny Marr on Radio 4 Front row 17/12/04

For all he has done since The Smiths.

Postby Still Ill » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:45 pm

A very interesting but short interview:

<a href='http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/frontrow/frontrow_20041217.shtml' target='_blank'>http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/frontrow/..._20041217.shtml</a>

click 'Listen to the programme'. Close your eyes and listen to his voice for a few minutes! It's 7 minutes into the program.

And courtesy of Moz-solo, a link to an article about a Smiths symposium?! Sounds interesting.

link:

<a href='http://www.mipc.mmu.ac.uk/stories.php?story=04/11/26/8808901' target='_blank'>http://www.mipc.mmu.ac.uk/stories.php?story=04/11/26/8808901</a>

What am I doing?!! There's still more to be done before Christmas! <!--emo&:blink:-->Image<!--endemo-->
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:31 pm

Nice find(s), I'll listen to that Radio 4 thing tomorrow, ut in the meantime, what is a Symposium?
elko
Site Admin

Postby girl_afraid » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:35 pm

Oh, I saw them earlier, the Johnny interview is really good, really interesting. Quite worried by his comment that a 'SMITHS: THE MUSICAL!!!'-style show is a good idea though! <!--emo&:blink:-->Image<!--endemo-->

Yeah, what exactly is the symposium thing? Is it like a lecture? And what's the thing about writing a 200-word paper or something?

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Abstracts for proposed conference papers should be no longer than 200 words <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
"Abstracts"?? *confused*
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:07 pm

Thanks for that I'll have a listen later, I was just musing to myself that I haven't actually heard Johnny Marr's speaking voice!! I don't know why that should be important but it is curiously!!!
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:20 pm

Hehe, I like his voice! I hadn't heard it until a while ago, I downloaded some Smiths documentaries and other stuff... His accent is more...Mancunian than Morrissey's, it's less soft, but it's still nice <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I dunno...
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:32 pm

Johnny's voice is very distinct. I have to strain at times to catch everything he says. No complaints, though. He has a nice voice. I'll have to listen to it again, because I don't think Johnny ever answered the question about playing any of his music. He was asked about Morrissey playing a lot of the old songs on his tour, whereas Johnny doesn't venture there. I think Johnny slyly escaped having to answer that.

This symposium thing, I'm a little worried. Most people on M-solo don't seem very interested, or at the very least give any validity to what they're trying to do. Don't really care of course, just thought there would be some excitement at the prospect. Of course Smiths fans will be present (assuming it's open to the public) and yes some biased arguments, so what? I picture a big lecture hall, with analysis of everything they hope to cover, possibly on overhead projectors! Like a debate. It sounds very interesting to me, anyway.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:25 am

Yeah, exactly, I thought it sounded really good! Like a big analysis of their work and its impact on modern culture - it sounds so interesting, I'd LOVE to discuss things like that with other people. At the moment there is only one friend I can do that with, and he isn't quite as clued-up on The Smiths as me, so it's a bit one-sided <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->

As for the morrissey-solo thing, you have to remember that a lot of people on there are EVIL. <!--emo&:angry:-->Image<!--endemo-->

I dunno...
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Still Ill+Dec 30 2004, 06:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Still Ill @ Dec 30 2004, 06:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Johnny's voice is very distinct. I have to strain at times to catch everything he says. No complaints, though. He has a nice voice. 

<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I noticed this thread just now and wanted to say I agree about his voice being distinct. I like JMarr's voice a lot - and I tend to pay special attention to people's voices; if I dislike someone's voice I can easily develop a not-so-positive attitude towards this person.

Anyway, online interviews are great. I highly recommend this one, if you haven't heard it before:

<a href='http://nardwuar.com/vs/johnny_marr/' target='_blank'>Nardwuar vs. J Marr</a>
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:02 pm

i like Mr Marr's voice he seems so lovely too that Nardwuar interview is fabness in the extreme ruby girl - everyone should listen Johnny is so funny!!!

I would've posted it myself but then I can't remember where I heard it from....!!
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Return to Johnny Marr