Other works

For all he has done since The Smiths.

Postby tallulahtaurus » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:20 pm

Is anyone else a fan of Johnny Marr post Smiths work? I am thinking specifically Electronic and the Healers. I love Boomslang - altho it's getting to feel like I am alone in thinking it's a quite good album - the lyrics are awful but if he was any good at that then what would he have needed Morrissey for... and he's got a nice enough voice. I also now own an Electronic album- Twisted Tenderness and think that's not bad either

His input in the Smiths was woefully underrated I think, he deserves more success than he has had... although apparently Electronic were quite successful?? I wouldn't know seeing as I was about 8 when they released their first album

Anyways enough rambling for one post just wondered...

any other fans...? any reccommendations for me??
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:47 pm

I've bene listening to some of Boomslang, it's really Oasis-y, which is not nesseccarily a bad thing, but sometimes I wish he'd do something a bit more interesting. It's hard to approach it from a neutral viewpoint, just cause of his history.

His lyrics couuld certainly do with some work, as could the Electronic ones I think, although I'm not sure he had anything to do with it.

My tutor at college said that post-Smiths, Johnny Marr has just sounded like a good to average session musician, no real character or style. Sadly, I would say he's pretty much right.
elko
Site Admin

Postby tallulahtaurus » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:30 pm

Aaah I think that's very very true what your tutor said which sucks and is very sad because I'm starting to love Johny Marr more than Morrissey if that is possible!!

But alas I still enjoy some of his post Smiths/Electronic work... albeit only in places and yeah I think it is very like Oasis sadly but I really like Another Day from Boomslang, it's one of my favourite songs - just lovely!

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:23 pm

You are definitely not alone in liking Mr Marr's post Smiths work - I quite enjoy most of the things he's done. Well, with The Smiths the measure stick was placed very, very high; to me personally very few things can be compared to their work - including Morrissey's and Marr's post-Smiths activities. But still I lappreciate what Johnny's done since then - especially the songs he's written for Kirsty MacColl - quite different from The Smiths' stuff, but lovely - and also Vivid by Electronic is one of favourite songs. I hated it at first, but it grew on me and now I am totally impressed by it. As for Boomslang, I haven't heard almost anything from it, that's why I can't offer an opinion on that - hope I'll have the chance in the near future.

P.S. And besides, I've always thought JM to be quite an adorable individual.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:39 pm

I haven't heard any of his work for Kirsty MacColl, do you know any specific tracks?

What I've got of Boomslang is growing on me, and seeing it's only a fiver in Fopp I'll probably get it when I have a bit of cash in my pocket. I still don't like Electronic at all though, just doesn't appeals to me.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
elko
Site Admin

Postby girl_afraid » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:39 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rubygirl+Jan 14 2005, 06:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rubygirl @ Jan 14 2005, 06:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> And besides, I've always thought JM to be quite an adorable individual. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Oh, me too! I was thinking about it on the bus today, and although I completely and utterly ADORE Morrissey, I think Johnny would probably be a nicer person to meet, more friendly and stuff. Not that I'll ever meet either of them, but there you go.

I haven't really heard ANY of Johnny's solo stuff, I downloaded one track from Boomslang a while ago, and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be, just different. The library has a copy of it, and I keep meaning to borrow it and then forgetting whenever I'm there...
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:31 pm

Another Day is an absolutely beautiful track from Boomslang, just gorgeous the only time that Marr ever gets without touching distance of the Smiths - it makes me cry with joy that song, I also like Something to Shout about. Although the rest of the album is kinda, Oasis cast off sounding!! <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->

I am a bit Johnny Marr obsessed now, he was just so pretty, and so talented and just so adorable I guess (such a good word) as gorgeous and unique ultimately as Morrissey is...except Morrissey is the one with all the success!!

I like Vivid paticularly the lovely bit at the beginning and end but I prefer Haze and Late at night. on Twisted Tenderness.

My favourite Electronic album has to be Raise the Pressure now I have finally heard them all, Until the end of time and Second Nature (so uplifting) are the tracks I like.

Mr Marr does indeed rcok I say!!!

tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:58 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->My favourite Electronic album has to be Raise the Pressure now I have finally heard them all, Until the end of time and Second Nature (so uplifting) are the tracks I like.
<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Tallulahtaurus, how do all the Electronic albums compare, do they shift in style? I only have their self-titled one, which I love.

As for Boomslang, Down on the Corner is my favorite. Yes, Oasis-y, what's wrong with that? But not as creative as, well, we all know...
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:12 am

It just seems a bit odd that for someone who has strived for originality, most of his post-Smiths work is fairly bland and uninspiring.
elko
Site Admin

Postby rubygirl » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:17 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It just seems a bit odd that for someone who has strived for originality, most of his post-Smiths work is fairly bland and uninspiring. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, it truely does - maybe creativity comes in bursts and goes...I don't know. I am still grateful to Johnny for all he's given us - it's just sad we're not getting it any more. <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:29 pm

It's also unfair to expect him to come up with genius stuff with every output. To his credit, Boomslang is not bad, if you never knew he was a Smith. So much is held to that bar, sadly enough. It's almost as if his most creative stuff will always be compared to the Smiths and he's staying far away from that. Maybe his taste has truly changed and he doesn't require that kind of creative output. Eh, who knows. I think we all agree though that his music is no longer innovative or inspiring.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:05 am

I've only very recently got "Electronic" by Electronic and so I haven't really listened to it much but I would say that it is the least favourite at the moment - but then very little music grabs me initially, it takes a while until I can make up my mind...I'm odd like that!!

Raise the Pressure is very dancey and synthetic, wheras I think that on Twisted Tenderness there is the presence of the guitar a bit more to my mind, much more rocky as opposed to dancey.

Guess Marr took to not erasing the guitar tracks he laid down when it came to "Twisted Tenderness"

Opinions on these things are not concrete so once my slow mind has chewed it over more I might post more on the subject Still Ill.

tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:24 pm

I very much enjoy JMarr's quitar work on the Pet Shop Boys' album Release - and I rate the whole album very highly (I am a big Pet Shop Boys fan, by the way).

And there's also this lovely little song, called Decadence - the quitar layer of the melody is Oh, so beautiful...
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:15 pm

Ok, ive been thinking about this. If Marr never met Morrissey what would morrissey be doing? and what would Marr be doing i wonder. I don't know wether that question is good for a new topic
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:23 pm

Morrissey would be upstairs, in his room.

Johnny Marr would be in the band that U2 never have been - big, but good as well.
elko
Site Admin

Next

Return to Johnny Marr